New Rig....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good stuff man, the AL backplate will serve you well, Hog harness is a good choice and the trim weight pouches are a lifesaver for trim.

Couple things to consider as you dive it:
-Make sure you have ditchable weight, I can't tell from the pics if the weight pockets on your waistbelt are or not, but it is important. Reconsider a weightbelt.
-Straight bungie for the necklace, more adjustable, repeatable and cheaper.
-Get two metal triglides (weight keepers) for your thigh pocket webbing, use one to make the loop that you slide your waistbelt through as small as possible and the second to keep the end tidy. Also, put it against the plate, behind your weight pocket.
-Swap your second stage face plates or use a black sharpie on the backup, you don't want someone going for it (and it's so uncool!)
-2" crotch strap.

Enjoy it!

OBG;

Why do you suggest I have ditchable weight?

I can remove weight from the pockets. They aren't the "quick release" type, but the weight can be taken out easily (even with the rig on). At the moment (in fresh water), I require no additional weight to sink at the surface (going to do a 500 psi 15 foot hang test soon).

I got this necklace free, and I'm trying it out. I will probably end up making one with bungee, to pull the necklace a little tighter on me.

There is one plastic tri glide on the loop at the moment; I adjusted the loop to be as small as possible last night. I'll get another and trim the excess webbing tomorrow. I really can't stand to attach the pocket to my barely used suit...I may end up doing it one day.

I'll swap the face plates tomorrow. I was thinking about doing it before, but you've convinced me :D

2'' strap is on the list as soon as I can afford it.

Thanks for all the constructive criticism!

Danny

To establish positive buoyancy in an emergency, my good man! OW 101. Not everyone believes in it, but it's simple and safe to do, so I suggest it. To me, a weightbelt is the way to go, simple and safe, integrated weights are a solution in search of a problem.

I use the same thigh pocket and I couldn't stand the loop flopping around, cinching down the opening solved that. If you put the 2nd triglide on there and make sure the tail is on the inside you shouldn't need to cut it.

Sell that computer fast and buy a B&G gauge and a wrist mount computer, should be able to do it for even money.

All you need to make a 2" crotch strap is a length of webbing and two triglides (2 D-rings if you're so inclined). It's not as slick as OEM, but it does the job.

What's next?

You need to learn why you always need ditchable weights. Unless you're tech diving the 5' hose is fine, why stuff if you don't have to? Keep your computer, learn how to use it; and computer use is manditory for certain dive operators (offshore) - you can always get an SPG later.

OK I'll chime in ...

- If you're gonna make your own 2" crotch strap DO NOT use standard nylon webbing (like the harness is made from) ... it's too stiff. Get something a little softer.

- I don't think the inflator hose is necessarily too long. Depends on how it sits on your body. The key thing is that it dumps easily and that when not in use it sits in close to your body.

- Nothing wrong with the Manta necklace, as long as it's secure on the backup reg and the length is right for your body. The one-size-fits-all makes it more suitable for some divers than for others.

Nice rig ... wish I'd have had something that nice when I was at your experience level ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm a fan of ditchable weight with the AL plate, I was curious as to your reasons though OBG. I planned on putting most of the weight in the waistband pockets, and have the "trim" weight be in the pockets on the top cam strap.

Danny

Nice rig ... wish I'd have had something that nice when I was at your experience level ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob;

Thanks! I've done quite a bit of research on the subject, I've asked a lot of questions, and I've gone diving with quite a few people so I could watch them in the water, try on their gear, and pick their brains.

I think it turned out pretty good :D

Danny

Danny, you are going to absolutely love that Mach V for single tank diving. At first glance one wouldn't think that tiny little wing could displace 30 Lbs...but it does. Did Patrick stitch it in black or did you black out the Oxycheq logo?

It came with black stitching. They call it "stealth" stitching, and I REALLY like it. So far, it seems like a fantastic wing. I could not believe it displaced 30 lbs either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom