New Room Tax ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeh taxes are out of control
Everywhere, not just here.

I’m Not so sure that new eco tax is only for hotels- I have a meeting with my accountant today and im Going to ask about this new tax and where all we will be seeing it. I sure hope dive shops aren’t liable for this tax as well!
Any response from your accountant? For folks who have pre booked and pre paid for a room is the tax being collected and if so by whom? The hotel, the guest or the booking agency or service (IE dive shop)?

Any response from your accountant? For folks who have pre booked and pre paid for a room is the tax being collected and if so by whom? The hotel, the guest or the booking agency or service (IE dive shop)?

I’ve already responded a few posts up

You stopped reading too soon...

Well, I copied her post to paste it here, but I'm having a failure again as happens on this new board format. It's up there.

Okay, I'll do it this way. Here it is...
Ok here’s the skinny:

The ECO tax applies only to hotels, condos, vacation rentals in Cozumel:

There are some exemptions from this added tax:
  • Residents of Q.Roo are exempt
  • Guests over 60 years old are exempt
  • Physically Handicapped persons are exempt
It is an added environmental
Tax due to the extra electricity, trash, water, etc used by rental Properties which actually makes sense.

Please don’t shoot the messenger.

There are some exemptions from this added tax:
  • Residents of Q.Roo are exempt
  • Guests over 60 years old are exempt
  • Physically Handicapped persons are exempt
My hotel tried to add this when I checked in today, but I’d copied that to my phone notes. They have a week to accept or argue.

My hotel tried to add this when I checked in today, but I’d copied that to my phone notes. They have a week to accept or argue.

I got the info straight from my MX accountant who does everything by the book. It's possible they (employees) truly don't know. Get management to confirm with their accountant - who should know the laws :)

So, if I am doing AirBnB, then this tax should already be included in price quoted upfront, right? Because I don't see it unless it is in the $6 occupancy taxes and fees. And with AirBnB, when you pay, it is supposed to be total, nothing extra to pay later.

Screenshot 2019-02-06 07.37.17.png

$21/night! You sleeping under the bridge?

$21/night! You sleeping under the bridge?

LOL, No. AirBnB has some great deals. Pretty nice places. That is actually a very nice 1 bedroom with full kitchen about 4-5 blocks from Tres Pelicanos and Aldora.

So, if I am doing AirBnB, then this tax should already be included in price quoted upfront, right? Because I don't see it unless it is in the $6 occupancy taxes and fees. And with AirBnB, when you pay, it is supposed to be total, nothing extra to pay later.

View attachment 503795

Taxes for lodging are broken down like this:
IVA (Sales tax) 16%
Occupancy/lodging tax 3%
ECO Tax $1.50 per room per night

It is very likely that Air B & B is not aware of this yet, or the individual owner, who has the place listed on Air B & B is not aware of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom