New Saudi female diver facing dificulties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nada

Reaction score
:banghead: Hello, My name is Nada I am a fresh newly certified open water diver. I am from the eastren provines, Dhahran city. Just finished my open water course 2 weeks ago.
I am facing a major dicouraging problem trying to arrange for my first dive. My self and my other saudi friend (female as well)regestered our selfs to join a group of westren divers (males and females) for our first dive in the red sea (city of Yanbu). We were so exited my friend even bought a BCD and a regulator, but our instructor informed us this morning that the dive organiser in Yanbu told him that we can not get on the boat wiyhout having a male relative (muhram) physically present with us on the boat! coz we are SAUDI FEMALES. iT WAS A VERY BIG SHOCK TO US.
We are looking for any saudi female divers who can help us by telling us how do they go about it? and how do they manage to dive? As far as I heard there are a lot of Saudi female divers in the Westren area of saudi.
I would apriciate any advice or help. Any Sudi female divers in this board that I can get in touch with?

Nada:

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. You may have to wait a bit, due to the time differences, and the fact that this is a week-end, but we should have some people who can advise you.

R. Davie
IANTD Instructor Trainer

R. Davie
Thanks for the quick reply and support. I realy did not want this to be my start with this great board, but I had no other way to get help. Hopfully when I pass this dificult period and get to dive, I will be a regular, active, possitive member of this board.

I just returned from a job interview in UAE. I was considering a position in Riyadh and did some research before I went for the interview as my wife is also a diver. The bottom line is that while the UAE and other countries inthe East support female divers, diving from the KSA in the Red Sea will always have you running into this problem. In addition many boats also require that you do not change into your dive "dress" until well away from shore.

I have dove the Red Sea from Jeddah, (long ago before I was married) and it is worth the headaches you may face.

Best of Luck, and don't give up.

Tom

Thanks Tom, sure I will never give up this woderfull amaizing sport. I am already hooked.

Welcome to the board!

I hope you can find a good solution to your problem. Good luck!

Joe

tasharrafna, Nadi.

hmm... this might work. are there any men in your class that are willing to say that they are your brother or your cousin?

that is my best suggestion. I hope you get on the boat!!! Tell me how it is, beacuse I am coming to Eilat to visit family, and I am going to trek down to Sharm-el-Sheikh for a couple days.

Don't give up!

B'Saalam,

Zack

Thread moved from Introductions & Greets.

Hi Nada, I worked in Riyadh in '89. ALL the female divers I knew went to the Red Sea.

Oh, Nada, what a shame!!! I can't even begin to imagine the shattering affect that your country's attitudes toward females must damage day to day life.

I guess you will have to become a pioneer and help to forge changes. A good friend of mine is a Saudi woman who ended up fleeing her home to have a better life. She is now on the run due to two of her brothers being sent to the states for an honor killing of her. I have to believe that things will change for the better some day.
Good luck in your endeavor. Maybe you can get your hands on papers that say you are from another country???

Back
Top Bottom