New Saudi female diver facing dificulties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm....not sure where my reply went. Maybe contact the local dive shops and see if they have a solution. I am sure that you can't be the first to run into this. If the first shop can't help, go to another.

Good luck!!

It's so sad that this crap is still going on in this time in our society, wake up dammit.

Hi Nada,

I remember well the problems ALL female divers had diving in the Kingdom. Come to think of it even us male divers had trouble sometimes. I can remember being told to leave the beach for no reason after we had all suited up and were ready to get in the water. I was in Jeddah in 1992 and 1993 and ran into many man and women that told me of the troubles they or their wives had. I remember that to avoid problems like the ones you mentioned most of the female divers I knew would only dive at one of the private beaches in the area. Once inside the walls of the compound they were pretty much free to do as they pleased, within reason of course. Have you tried one of these beaches?

Good luck and enjoy the diving when you finally get in the water. The Red Sea is a beautiful place with lots to see.

ShakaZulu:
It's so sad that this crap is still going on in this time in our society, wake up dammit.

This is not, as Westerners, "our" society remember...different cultures, different ideas. Helpful ideas for the diving dilemma are appreciated, but we need to be careful about culture bashing.

Nada
you r more than welcome here in Egypt. We have the most wonderful dive sites in the word. You can dive here freely without any constrains.

NADA, your hello and welcome was moved from the "Introductions and Greetings Forum" so, while you are obtaining information here to deal with your diving difficulties, please Drop in and say Hi! in that forum, so we can give you a proper ScubaBoard WELCOME!!

Tom

I have been away for a while and just back from work to find all these and great support from you all. Thank you so much.
I will never give up, there has to be a way.
Thanks again.

alcina:
This is not, as Westerners, "our" society remember...different cultures, different ideas. Helpful ideas for the diving dilemma are appreciated, but we need to be careful about culture bashing.
A Great Scuba Forum is not the place for international politics. There are enough forums for that. Lets try to help the 'Scuba Related' issues, and leave the politics out.

Safe Diving . . .

Tricky situation, Nada...
Unless you can get a muhram who is happy with the situation on the dive boat, you will have problems going diving.
One way to go would be to have an all-female day dive, but then the boat crew will be male... check with the dive center and see what they say.
Great to hear that people invite her to different parts of the Red Sea, but then - the muhram will have to be there as well...
Let us know how it works out.

Tom, if politics get in the way of scuba diving, why not discuss it? Shouldn't we discuss the fishing policies, or countries that are exploiting the marine environment either?
It's just a matter of what words and tone you use - like Alcina said, let's do it without bashing....

Bubble-og:
Tricky situation, Nada...
Unless you can get a muhram who is happy with the situation on the dive boat, you will have problems going diving.
One way to go would be to have an all-female day dive, but then the boat crew will be male... check with the dive center and see what they say.
Great to hear that people invite her to different parts of the Red Sea, but then - the muhram will have to be there as well...
Let us know how it works out.

Tom, if politics get in the way of scuba diving, why not discuss it? Shouldn't we discuss the fishing policies, or countries that are exploiting the marine environment either?
It's just a matter of what words and tone you use - like Alcina said, let's do it without bashing....
I do not beleive that "this" forum is the appropriate place for politics, even if it relates to diving. It is too easy to move from discussing "dive related" matters (in a non bashing manner) to governments, religion, culture - often without even realizing that's what others are reading into our words. I try not to forget that my words do not always carry my intent well, no matter how hard I try to write from the heart.

Sometimes words and meanings are missread by others - even though they were written as "well meaning" words. Why look for trouble - here? My response was to address how to get a diver in the water.

So, at least for me, I focus on the dive issue (within the limits of my own capabilities) and try to leave my politics out of it. Not to say I do not have my own thoughts on such aspects, but I try to open my mouth only when I think it will add value.

Bottom line, my thoughts on politics, religion and so on will not help get Nada in the water any sooner or with more pleasure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom