New Saudi female diver facing dificulties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom, I believe Nada needs somewhere to talk about issues that prevent her from diving, where else will she find the experiences that other divers have had? These experiences involve cultures and religion. Nada, I don't really have any suggestions or ideas, but I wish you luck and share your interest in diving.

Travisc:
Tom, I believe Nada needs somewhere to talk about issues that prevent her from diving, where else will she find the experiences that other divers have had? These experiences involve cultures and religion. Nada, I don't really have any suggestions or ideas, but I wish you luck and share your interest in diving.
Travisc:

I was responding to Nada who wrote,

"We are looking for any saudi female divers who can help us by telling us how do they go about it? and how do they manage to dive? As far as I heard there are a lot of Saudi female divers in the Westren area of saudi."

As I have lived and dove in the KSA (since as early as the 1970's) I have developed my own cultural and political opinions as well, but as I read Nada's original note, before we all jumped on top of it, she is asking "how". I, and this is personal as are all our comments, like to stick with the "how" and not get into the "why" if it does not help resolve the "how".

Take Care

The main goal for my post in the first place was to search for any Saudi female diver on this board. Since I could not find any other way from inside the kingdom to get their names or adress. I was hoping since this is a famouse international dive board that atleast one of those divers will pop up.There is a very big chance for us to get this issue sorted out by Getting in touch whith one of them because I am sure that they have a special way to get into the water.
This not to say that we are not open for advice and suggestions from others. for sure your support made a great difrence and for some reason gave me hope.
I loved the diving so much and i will never give up. I am still looking forward for my permanent licience, bying my personal equipment, and taking the advanced diving course including night and wreck diving.
Thanks again for all the support, now I am starting to get hocked to this board and making lots of diver friends. I realy love this underwater world.
Which us luck.

How affordable is getting your own boat? You can get some of your cousins (male if need be) to help you drive. You can do some training on how to drive and explore some new divesites.

Nada- I just want to say that I hope you find an answer to your dilemma and that you continue to enjoy this fantastic world that we all love.

Dr. Bill

Bubble-og:
Tricky situation, Nada...
Unless you can get a muhram who is happy with the situation on the dive boat, you will have problems going diving.

What is a Muhram?

One way to go would be to have an all-female day dive, but then the boat crew will be male... check with the dive center and see what they say.

It seems to me that there must the possibility of arranging all female diving in the Red Sea. Even if she can't find an all female crew Nada may be able to dive from a resort with a female dive-leader and diving from a Zodiac. This sounds like an excellent suggestion to me and one worth following up on. (as an aside if this possibility doesn't exist I see a wide-open niche for the entrepreneur)

I guess the easiest solution is to just take a male relative. Nada, don't you have a brother or cousin who dives?

Tom, if politics get in the way of scuba diving, why not discuss it? Shouldn't we discuss the fishing policies, or countries that are exploiting the marine environment either?
It's just a matter of what words and tone you use - like Alcina said, let's do it without bashing....

I agree. Nada's problem has everything to do with culture and I fail to see how understanding each other's cultures is such a loaded subject that we should be afraid to discuss it. It is very relevant to the discussoin at hand.

Tom, with all due respect, please desist now. If you still have a problem with it then PM Netdoc and ask him to moderate this thread personally.

R..

Diver0001:
Nada's problem has everything to do with culture and I fail to see how understanding each other's cultures is such a loaded subject that we should be afraid to discuss it. It is very relevant to the discussoin at hand.
R..

Cultures can be quite a heated discussion and this topic is actually looking for solutions to a particular situation; it is not the forum for a discussion on various cultures even though it is a cultural norm that brings up the topic. We need to be aware of the distinction.

As per the TOS: While we encourage discussion about a wide range of subjects, there are certain areas which elicit more animosity and subsequently far more flames. Consequently we ask that discussions involving politics and nationalities be reserved for other message boards that are better venues for these topics.

Bubble-og:
Tom, if politics get in the way of scuba diving, why not discuss it? Shouldn't we discuss the fishing policies, or countries that are exploiting the marine environment either?
It's just a matter of what words and tone you use - like Alcina said, let's do it without bashing....
we can discuss politics till the seas dry up (leaving us nowhere to dive... what a waste of time right!) but remember guys that this is NOT a problem of politics but a problem that is a result of CULTURE -- this is something we cannot change by flaming other people on this forum

agreeably nada's situation does suck... but can YOU do anything about it? will your posts and rants get her under water?

let's try to help the lady by coming up with constructive suggestions, ladies and gents?

Jag

TomvdH:
Travisc:
Nada's original note, before we all jumped on top of it, she is asking "how". I, and this is personal as are all our comments, like to stick with the "how" and not get into the "why" if it does not help resolve the "how".
here! here! can we now move away from this discussion that is pointlessly going nowhere?

what i can't get is why everyone on this forum just loooooooooves to jump on everyone else's case when something doesn't "sit well" with them... look back at alcina's post: it ISN'T OUR CULTURE so it's not in our place to criticize it publicly.

besides, everybody has some cultural nuance that is strange to another person... even rednecks have some cultural nuance... and hillbillies... so why the hell shouldn't other non-americans have one?

Jag

PS
now i know EXACTLY why george bush won... geez

Diver0001:
What is a Muhram?

Muhram, according to Islam, are those with whom marriage was disallowed such as father, brother, sons for woman and as mother, daughter, and sister for
the male. It also includes nephews or nieces and aunts. And for women, they are also uncles, grandfather, brothers or sons and grandmother as well as similar gender [female/female and male/male].
Bubble-og:
Great to hear that people invite her to different parts of the Red Sea, but then - the muhram will have to be there as well...
You don't need muhram to travel within Egypt but you may need one to leave Saudi Arabia.
Red Sea is a good idea and you should not have any problems there
Mania

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom