New SB.com member - Info on equipment for my 14 daughter.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife weighs 100lbs and is 5feet or shorter. We just bought zeagles for both of us. I am using the stiletto and she is using the Zeagle Zena... she has loved it since the second she jumped in. The back inflate keeps her trim very nice and it's easy to transport and carry. It's streamlined and she appreciates that very much. It has a nice pouch that is packed tight, but if you expand it, it opens to provide quite a big bag for storage if necessary. Lots of D-Rings to attach things to. She has 1 dive on it, loves it already.

My theory gets proved again. Someone asks about a BCD and the BP/W suggestion is the first reply.... 2nd, 3rd..

My son had a Zuma XXS that he's finally outgrown (from age 10), wasn't the best BCD IMO but he liked it and now he's got a XS Scubapro GO like the rest of us. LOVE that BCD. Even use them for local diving as we don't plan on drysuits for the foreseeable future.

My 13 year old son is 5'2" 90lbs and he just got a new mask, as he's had the other since age 7 when we were mad snorkelers. Will probably donate it in the Solomon's next year.

Funny how the feet grow first, he's wearing my old size 9 boots!!!!

My theory gets proved again. Someone asks about a BCD and the BP/W suggestion is the first reply.... 2nd, 3rd..

It happens every time.

They're also missing the "14 year old girl" aspect.

She probably wouldn't object to wearing something that looks like a vest, with a tank on the back, but might not be so warm and fuzzy about being strapped on to a steel plate.

BC: Pearl by AquaLung

I'd probably swap out the BC for something like the SCUBAPro Bella or other BC that uses large fastex clips to retain the weight pouches.

I'm not a fan of anything that uses friction or precise webbing routing to retain weights. It should be reliable and not complicated.

While I haven't seen the Pearl in person, from the photos it's not obvious what holds everything together, which is a clear indication that something might not be appropriate.

This is what holds the SP pocket in. It's a plastic clip. It's either clipped or not. You can't do it wrong. The weight rating on the clips is more than the weight of the diver.

5857.jpg

PS. Definitely avoid the AL BC. The weight pockets have apparently been recalled. Again.

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2013/Aqua-Lung-Recalls-Buoyancy-Compensators/

The recalled pocket is a replacement design for an earlier pocket that was also apparently recalled. (AL removed the document from their website, so I'm not certain)

flots.

Last edited:
It happens every time.

They're also missing the "14 year old girl" aspect.

Lol...

My wife has her Pearl up for sale. It's a whole lot of BCD, would not want to travel with that beast. Try the GO, seriously, it rocks. Secure weight pockets, lot's of attachment points, comfy, if they stopped making it I'd grab extras and stash 'em

Forgot to mention the GO's pockets are great for stashing shears, mirror, strobe, flashlight and even a backup computer. All nicely hidden away.

Last edited:
Check out the Zeagle Zena you can replace different components as she grows for a personalized fit without the expense of replacing the entire BCD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I can set up a bpw with a red or black plate. Add red, blue, green, yellow, or pink webbing. Black with pink looks really freaking cool. It stands out.

I recently got certified with my 5'2" daughter. I'm letting her rent gear until I see she is really into it. If I were buying now, I quite like all of your choices except the BC. I'd also get her a BP/W, which offers the most adjustment and ability to grow with out buying anything else. I particularly like the suggestion of some wildly colored harness on a black/red/stainless/aluminum plate, and when it is time for my daughter I might call Jim for that Pink/Black step up. Great idea Jim!

Yellowdog-

First..since it was obviously missed...CONGRATULATIONS TO YOUR DAUGHTER!! Great to see the young ladys jumpin in!!

First gear set...she's young..she'll grow..her tastes will change..her gear desires will change. And..yeah..she's a teenager lol.
I personally prefer a BP/W...but I also have a Scuba Pro Seahawk..most comfortable BCD I've ever dove...and a Hollis ATS...incredibly streamlined and trims phenominally well.
That being said..Look at the Cressi AquaPro 5 BCD...jacket inflate...all the necessitys..none of the "doodads". A good tough functional BCD that will take her thru a few years. Sizes down to XXS..We use them as our school/rental bcd's. Great value, tough as nails. And it comes in *GASP* BLUE!!
I suggest decent comfortable functional equipment until she decides that she REALLY can't live out of the water. Than reward her with a step up maybe?
Just my .02.

Bubs

What's the theory? Seems pretty straightforward to me.

The same question gets asked every week (which BCD should I get?), so many people give the same answer (a BP/W), because they think that's the correct answer to the question. It would be pretty strange if people gave different answers each time, right?

Why are so many of you threatened by the mere mention of a BP/W. It is a perfectly good option for a buoyancy control device and there are all kinds of reasons why it can make sense for so many different kinds of divers but each time it is mentioned so many go on the defensive.

My 4'4" daughter now fully grown at 4'11' certified at 10 and is now 15. She has a small BP/W and she loves it. She struggled with a couple of jackets and once she tried the BP/W it felt like a dream. She loved the fact that it fitted her perfectly (and continues to), she loved the fact that it did not constrict her, she loved the freedom of it and as the financier of her equipment I love the fact that over the years it will likely be the cheapest option.

It never bothered her that it was not colorful or pretty. I guess she just loved the fact that it was so comfortable and helped her to become a better diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom