New SB.com member - Info on equipment for my 14 daughter.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Folks i have to say theres a lot more firey responses from the supporters of BPW than jacket BC supporters.
I have a couple of very good reasons for suggesting Jacket over BPW
1)jacket purchase price is a lot less than BPW.-so if the OP's girl isn't that much into diving theres less money "wasted"
2) Dunno if you guys picked up on the OP's comment of not a lot of growth expected so a jacket thats at the large end of the adjustable range is likely also to last her several years.
3) when inflated at the surface a jackets flotation lifts the head out of the water.

Hello. I am a new member and I need advice on purchasing dive gear for my newly certified 14 year old daughter. She is 4' 8" and weighs 95lbs and probably will only be 5'1-2" fully grown. Her diving for the foreseeable future will be with me in warm water dive vacation locations like Cozumel. I have found one package that looks like it is a good value but I am open to any suggestions. There is a Cressi dealer close by. The Aqualung DS is a longer drive but the owner seems solid and knowledgeable.
This is the package I am looking at:
Essential Package - Women’s $999 Retail: $1490
Regulator: Titan by AquaLung
Alternate 2nd Stage: ABS Octo by AquaLung
Instruments: Zoop 2-Gauge Console by Suunto
BC: Pearl by AquaLung

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
I'm going to try something novel. Instead of telling you what I think you should buy based on my experiences in completely different conditions than those your daughter will be diving in - instead I'll tell you what I like/don't like about your choices.

The Titan is a fine regulator. The ABS is all the Octo she'll likely ever need. One advantage I see to it over even the Titan Octo is that it's universal in orientation. Think about a standard octo - when you donate it and want to face, maybe operate the other person's BC - it's inverted so the exhaust port is blowing bubbles right in their eyes. And it's an awkward twist in the hose. And they cleverly offset the hose since it's more useful for your buddy in that configuration. Your daughter being small would get run over by someone my size desperate for air. It may not be you always either, there's generally other divers on the boat.

I might get a wristmount Zoop. That way she can watch it easier as during ascent and still use her inflator in her left hand. Buy an inexpensive 2 gauge console and she'll have depth redundancy as well as an SPG. Computer fails you still know how deep you are. And where 15' starts.

It's a good, easy to understand computer though. I have a Gekko - it's predecessor. I leave the manual at home when I go on dive trips - I can pick it up after a long interval and figure out all the functions just by working through the menu choices. My Uwatec before that came with about a 100pg. manual that I always brought along.

I think the Pearl is real heavy for a BCD. LeisurePro shows it at 7.93lbs - IDK if that's all sizes. So maybe not the best idea for air travel given today's extra charges for everything. While I don't personally like the Zuma - something like it has the advantage of being able to be carried on also. It's also something like 4.3lbs. I don't really know XXS BC's so I'll reserve other comments on them.

A few years ago I helped outfit a grade school class with dive gear. Cressi was the go-to for smaller sizes.

Aqualung has one of the larger world-wide service/dealer networks also.

Frosty makes a good point also. The Cressi Aquapro 5 in XXS is $219. Can't touch a BP/W for that new.

The BP/W is a great choice it she is into that type of equipment configuration. If she wants a jacket BC then my first choice would be the Zeagle Zena. You can custom fit it to her and also they have different colors that can be used in the components.

There are plenty of posts on this site saying "I finally got a BP/W, and I'm never going back to a jacket". A lot fewer the other way around. If so many people who have tried both prefer the BP/W, then maybe it's at least worth considering before dismissing. That's all.

I gave mine away in favor of sidemount.

It turns out that the "BP" in BP/W is pretty much irrlevant.

flots.

Thanks for all the input. In addition to information here, I have talked to several local dive shops and read much on the internet. As I have a reputable Cressi dealer fairly near I was leaning towards the Aquapro 5 or Travel Light Lady until I read the Cressi size chart: XXS - Chest 28/33" Waist 28/32" Weight 106/132lbs, all too big for her. I am interested in the BP/W but none of the local shops carry the pieces, so I would have to put it together from afar through the mail. The Zuma XS size chart says it should fit her but unfortunately I have been unable to find an XS to try on. Staying local for service, now thinking
Mikron Regulator - because its smaller
Aqualung ABS or Mikron octo
Zuma xs bc - lite weight
Oceanic Pressure gauge
$879.00 w/o computer
Oceanic GEO 2 wrist computer. -$290.00 - The same one I have
Probably overthinking at this point but its part of the fun. I love cool equipment.

Last edited:
Folks i have to say theres a lot more firey responses from the supporters of BPW than jacket BC supporters.
I have a couple of very good reasons for suggesting Jacket over BPW
1)jacket purchase price is a lot less than BPW.-so if the OP's girl isn't that much into diving theres less money "wasted"
2) Dunno if you guys picked up on the OP's comment of not a lot of growth expected so a jacket thats at the large end of the adjustable range is likely also to last her several years.
3) when inflated at the surface a jackets flotation lifts the head out of the water.

1) At my local dive shop, the BCD in the OP is £351. An Apeks aluminium backplate, one piece harness, Apeks WTX3 wing and single tank adapter comes to £302. It is not just cheaper at the outset, but it will save her in the long run as you can replace the bits that get worn out rather than binning the whole thing. If she does grow, the harness can be adjusted rather than selling at a loss and having to buy again.
2) Maybe she won't grow much more, but a BP&W has many more advantages too.
3) So does a wing. See Jim Lapenta's post on page 1

My daughter is about the same size. I was lucky enough to find an Aeris Travel lite XL as closeout. It's essentially a BP/W style BC but with a plastic plate for travel. Fits her well.

My only advice for her gear is to get very light travel friendly gear. My daughter rarely dives in local cold water. She prefers the warm tropical locations when we go on family vacation. The Mikron is a perfect regulator for travel. Also keep in mind you will probably want to take the regulators in your carry on luggage so getting something light weight is better.

Have fun with your daughter!

Back
Top Bottom