New SCUBA depth record

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It'd be interesting to see a breakdown of his dive profile - gas mixes in those 24 bottles, deco stops, etc.

Lots of companies sell computer software that plots a solution for returning to the surface but none of it seems to work,'' he said.
Humm... I wonder if this guys real name is... PUG! :xmas3:

Heres a clip from the article:

Ellyatt, a technical instructor at a Phuket dive company, required emergency decompression treatment after a deep dive in February, and needed more than three months to recover.

Hard to believe he would want to jump back into that much deco after getting seriously bent ???

The Briton said he had prepared for the dive for about 10 years. He said his motive was not to set a world mark but to improve safety standards.

``I wanted to find a method for safely ascending because there doesn't seem to be one. Lots of companies sell computer software that plots a solution for returning to the surface but none of it seems to work,'' he said.

You have got to be kidding... This is like saying I want to find a cure for aids please inject me with it then give me all the latest drugs to try out because there are just too many out there right now that don't seem to work.

This is certainly an amazing feet, but if this was truly his only reason for doing it, then I have to say he is an Idiot.

I like your responce Brian,
and I Quote
"You have got to be kidding... This is like saying I want to find a cure for aids please inject me with it then give me all the latest drugs to try out because there are just too many out there right now that don't seem to work."
The reason did sound a little idiodic to me too.

sharkmasterbc:
Correct me if I'm wrong here but thats about 1000fsw ?? I was under the impression that the US Navy has set the record somewhere about 1600 ft on Hydrox...???

I would think that the navy guy was smart enough to be connected to a hose with unlimited gas supply, not just open circuit scuba.

The guy has guts and quite a set of B*lls but I have to stop there.

:doctor: The previous record was about 1010 ft so this record puts they guy at about 1028 ft. If done in the interest of safety I would like to see the results and the findings. It is quite a feat I do admit but at what cost? I also wonder about his tolerence to HPNS and how that may of affected him.

Doing a dive surface supplied and bell supported compared to open circuit scuba.

I think that "because no one else has done and I want to" is plenty good enough reason to do things like this.

While checking out a wreck or cave or whatever is better reason to go, we developed the ability to go where we do by some people going with little more reason than to go.

Yep, it is dangerous.
Yep, a good chance you will die trying.

It is a sure thing that you will die, the only questions are when and where and how?

In your heart may be family and home and long happy life but in the hearts of some people are great goals that are not easily done. Shall these people not follow their own hearts because others think them silly or idiotic?

Will I try to set an OC depth record? Nope, but I am glad that somebody did, and others will again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom