New Scuba Dive Op in Washington, DC: What do you want?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Opinions Vary... Click on the Facebook link then decide for yourself...people Like DA and Lapenta are just haters... they're not allowed in my store.

I'd recommend you keep them away from yours too... As I said, While I wished you luck and offered sincere assistance, all they could do was spew off about themselves and then try to hijack your thread by baiting me. The usual Scubaboard nonsense from that tandem. Good Luck to you... hope to see you around!

Login | Facebook

Not to hijack the thread further, but I believe you were the one who started the "hating" by saying that "non-shop owners and local divers" opinions were useless.

As a local to DC diver, and a new one who may or may not be looking to buy gear in the near future, I definitely think a new store owner would and should value the opinion of people like me. Just because I haven't owned a dive shop doesn't mean I don't understand retail, or the dive industry. More importantly, people who are in this area and plan to dive in this area are the demographic this shop is likely to cater to, so it behooves them to listen to us if they want to stay in business. You gave some good advice. It isn't, however, the only advice that is good. Get over yourself.

To "leavonlybubbles" your site so far looks like every other dive shop in the area. Atomic and Aqualung make good gear, I'm sure, but it's covered by at least 4 other shops within an easy drive of DC. In the city, you might be good but you won't be getting any of the burbs' money unless you offer some other options.

The suggestion of offering tech gear is a good one. While I think there is a tech-like shop in Manassas (I haven't been in the shop yet) I think it's far enough out that the B'more folks won't be running over there for gear unless it's last minute necessity. If you offer a range of tech gear, especially some of the lower priced gear, you will do yourself a service, I believe.

I would suggest you get some more advanced instructors as well. 2 DMs and a single instructor on your roster is going to make it very difficult for you to offer any real training. OW training and a few advance specialties can be had in no less than 10 shops in the area and you will need to provide something different to set yourself apart. Your class sizes are a good start but there are at least a handful of shops that have small class sizes as well.

Your website looks decent so that's a good start. Like I said, offer some other equipment options, and consider putting some actual equipment links on your site, not just links to the manufacturer's websites. The customer suggestion for trip locations is good. Thailand in August is the heart of their rainy season, just for reference. (November through February/March is the best season for visiting Thailand.)

Bubbles-

I'm sure you and your partners did a lot of market research before venturing into opening your shop. Just out of curiosity, how did you learn that there's a large diver population in DC?

I lived in Fairfax for 4 years, so I ran into alot of divers who lived in NoVA, but I don't recall meeting too many divers from DC.

fjpatrum makes a good point-- If there's a large population of DC divers, then you've got that market cornered. On the other hand, if you need to draw in the divers from the suburbs, then it will be crucial to offer them something that their LDS doesn't offer. Why else fight the traffic, right?

Well, I suppose that means you don't like tech divers, hmmm? Let's see - I'm doing taxes right now - I spent about $2,000 in local boat trips last year (from LOCAL operators) and roughly another $2,000 in dive shop gear, not to mention another "tech" course thrown in.

Please tell me, how's YOUR market doing?

31' Chris Craft Uniflite

Call (443)-604-1247 for more information

Boat is located in Baltimore MD

$17,900 (All reasonable offers will be considered)

Own your own dive shop -

Just $75,000 with Dive Boat, Shop, Inventory, Compressor, Fill Station & more...

Turn Key Operation

Low Rent in high traffic area... owner needs to sellb before 12/30/2010...

email at: toodive4@comcast.net for more information
or call (443)-772-0595

So, I guess your follow-up posts answered my question, huh? Sorry to hear. Good luck in the future...

I just want to throw my support out for you guys! When I lived in DC, the only option for in town scuba shop was a dinky little hole on Wisconsin Ave (probably have since shut down). The Washingtonians had to go out to the boonies to get their gear!

What a great location too! I'll be sure to check it out when I come into town next time!

Best wishes to your operation!

So, I guess your follow-up posts answered my question, huh? Sorry to hear. Good luck in the future...

Drew,

Just an FYI... What I'm doing with the shop and why has nothing to do with business... there are other reasons people move on to other things... so get your info right... I'll be posting a thread shortly to explain.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom