New Scuba Dive Op in Washington, DC: What do you want?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You make some points (mostly the ones I deleted). However, you dont live in the area and while I can appreciate your general suggestions you dont know jack about the area and what it's like to be WITHOUT anything remotely "technically" focussed.

There's a tech shop in Manassas, they depend heavily on online sales. I have been told that two dive shops in the area have closed in the last year. I will be in the NoVa area all next week and I plan to visit several local dive shops. The problem is that even in Florida and Texas, the large shops that sell tech equipment depend on sales outside of their brick and mortar.

But you have to look at where the OP's shop is located. It is within 4-5 hours of some of the best wreck diving in the world. Serious wreck divers don't give rats ass about snorkels, split fins, jacket bc's, and quick OW certs. They do buy lots of high end gear. And I don;t mean high end as in high price. My idea of a high end tech reg is a $250-$300 HOG D1 cold. Not a $1200 Atomic titanium. Why? Because I may buy two or three of the HOG regs at the MSRP for them. I would not buy more than 1, if that, of a gimmick that I cannot service easily myself.

That is another point. Sell regs from mfg's that allow the diver to buy parts and service them theirselves. Tech divers will come back to a shop that is tech friendly. I will not even go into a shop that is not -even for what would be considered recreational gear. Tech oriented shops also know that divers are not stupid and treat them accordingly. Ones that are not usually are not for a few reasons. They have no idea of what tech is, they carry lines that do not permit the shop to have a big selection of other brands, or they want divers that are ignorant and will buy their BS and subsequently overpriced gear. Tech divers buy on line because many shops treat them as a threat. They threaten the training the shop provides by showing new divers that it is possible to dive without kneeling, to dive without those BC's and regs that they do not need, and that some of the classes are nothing but bull crap to relieve them of their money.

Just looked at the site a bit more. No classroom for advanced? Students pay to teach themsleves? WTF! The gear as well - the fins for 195 bucks?! That is nuts. From the pics those are scubamax products. Cost on the masks is 15-20 bucks tops. Less if a DEMA sale. The $195 fins are at least marked up 200-250%. They can get jets for much less or Hollis at just over 120. With spring straps already installed. And where are the basic snorkels without the gimmicks? Dry, Semi Dry -why? Maybe people in DC have more money to throw away?

What I don't want in a shop is another shop selling mostly mask fins and snorkels to herds of the poorly trained reef tilling divers they turn out. Catering to environmentally friendly reef tilling divers won't be any different. Divers need to understand that if they suck, they need to stay high off the reef and sand (yes, if you look from a low hover without kneeling on it or tilling it, you will see LOTS of life in the sand.)

I also don't want a shop inhabited by poorly trained and minimally experienced instrcutors and DMs who don't understand let alone model and teach excellent buoyancy and trim. I'd be happy to meet you at Millbrook next weekend and if you impress me in the water, I'll consider you might be serious about your instructors and the standards they'll uphold.

----

I agree with the comment above about catering to local divers who just like to dive, whether it is at Millbrook, Ocean City, Indian River, VA Beach, Moorhead NC, Wilmington NC, or cave country in N FL (there are lots of cave divers in the area). A large percentage of those divers are technical divers and while they are perhaps only 10% of the market, they easily buy half of the gear - once you get past mask, fins and poodle jackets.

One thing you could also offer/develop is a place to do tune up dives during the week (Millbrook is weekends only and not year round). Silverlake is rumored to be opened to diving soon, but I'll believe it when I see it. There are some great quarries in the area that would increase local diving opportunites when nothing is happening offshore and if you can access of one them and open it to diving, people will come - especially if you have gas on-site.

---

Dive travel is a neccesary evil and most shops do it via sponsoring trips. A new approach in this area would be advertising unsold spots on other shop's trips from all over the country - something you could put me onto 3-4 weeks out (far enough out for reasonable airfare) rather than expecting me to book 6-12 months in advance when one in three offshore trips will probably get blown out.

Hey Scubaboard-ers,
This is a quick note to get your thoughts and invite you all... Several of us are opening a new scuba operation in Washington, DC... we're going to have a big focus on conservation and the environment--small personalized classes--and have the goal of bringing a lot of new folks in the DC-area into Scuba who may not otherwise be engaged.
And meanwhile, I'd love your advice: What do you want in a scuba diving shop that's not already being served in DC? What would be different from the existing outfits? What do you want more of? We're trying to create something that doesn't just divvy up the existing divers differently, but brings new folks in and offers something really different... so here's your chance... advice please?

Blue Planet: Scuba Diving Classes in Washington, DC - Home is our website... though check back in a couple weeks for a much better one.

Thanks!
_Matt

Matt,

First and foremost I wish you success with your new venture. For the most part, the DC Market is untapped.. with heavy competition from the NVA market. If you're strategically placed and do things right, you can do very well.

Opinions from non-shop owners and local divers are fairly useless. I have found that divers skew their opinions to their own and of the small niche groups they participate in. What they want is of little value. While they need to be listened too, please don't base your decisions on this information alone. Speak to other shop owners who are willing to share their successes and failures with you.

The bottom line is there are four ways to make money with a dive shop.
1. Certify a lot of divers
2. Sell a lot of equipment
3. Lead many trips
4. Service lots of gear

The problem right now is that the economy is not providing "a lot" of an of the above. When the economy is good, a dive shop can do extremely well financially. While the MD/DC/NVA is a little more immune to the economic downturn than other parts of the country, it is not particularly healthy.

Most important with the retail end. Do not let reps load you up with gear for the show-room. Sales are slow and buy-ins high. Stay away from the bigger name brands with MAP and MARP Pricing. They're killing dive shops nationwide.

Also do not count on the "tech" community for anything. They are too small and insignificant to make a difference in your business. Focus on advanced recreational training courses, but not technical training. Tech instructors are few and far between and demand more money than they are worth. Tech divers use the same gear as recreational divers - they just call it different things. A regulator is a regulator and a tank is a tank and while BCD's may come as one piece or multiple pieces you have to assemble, they are still BCD's.

Run as many trips as possible - but be realistic. More and more people are members of dive clubs and groups and they're booking their own trips and dividing the commissions and free spots among their members.

Equipment Services such as airfills, reg service etc... are great ways to make money. Get certified on as many brands as possible. Do this by attending DEMA workshops or asking reps for classes. Rec and Tec divers all need gear serviced. Recreational divers count on you - most techies have a do it theirselves attitude. This is another reason they're not worth having around. For the most part they are cheap and do buy online quite a bit. I filled my shop with tech gear, even brought in a tech Instructor and over a two year period saw no benefit from it - so I dropped the entire program.

The biggest mistake you'll make is buying gear you don't need and will never sell from aggressive manufacturer reps. If you need help with where to say yes and where to say no, let me know. I'll be happy to help you out.

Cheers and best wishes for much success!

...a $1200 Atomic titanium...Just looked at the site a bit more...Students pay to teach themsleves? WTF! The gear as well - the fins for 195 bucks?! ... Maybe people in DC have more money to throw away?
Exactly. Yuppies will just love this.

Thanks folks... certainly eager to hear what everyone has to say... We're new, we're hoping to be a bit different, and hoping we can serve a least a good chunk of the community. Feel free to PM me if you have other thoughts... Realize we'll never make everybody happy, but we are certainly eager to get more folks engaged in diving and in connecting to the environmental mission of our new shop.

Stop on by to chat. :)

Matt,

Take anything Ken says with a large grain of salt.

There is what works, then there is what Ken says works. The two are not the same.

Matt,

Take anything Ken says with a large grain of salt.

There is what works, then there is what Ken says works. The two are not the same.

Opinions Vary... Click on the Facebook link then decide for yourself...people Like DA and Lapenta are just haters... they're not allowed in my store.

I'd recommend you keep them away from yours too... As I said, While I wished you luck and offered sincere assistance, all they could do was spew off about themselves and then try to hijack your thread by baiting me. The usual Scubaboard nonsense from that tandem. Good Luck to you... hope to see you around!

Login | Facebook

Also do not count on the "tech" community for anything. They are too small and insignificant to make a difference in your business. Focus on advanced recreational training courses, but not technical training. Tech instructors are few and far between and demand more money than they are worth. Tech divers use the same gear as recreational divers - they just call it different things. A regulator is a regulator and a tank is a tank and while BCD's may come as one piece or multiple pieces you have to assemble, they are still BCD's.

Well, I suppose that means you don't like tech divers, hmmm? Let's see - I'm doing taxes right now - I spent about $2,000 in local boat trips last year (from LOCAL operators) and roughly another $2,000 in dive shop gear, not to mention another "tech" course thrown in.

Please tell me, how's YOUR market doing?

Back
Top Bottom