New Sidemount Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelemvor

Big Fleshy Monster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings! I just bought the Diverite Nomad side mount rig today! Class is next Wednesday in north FL springs. I'm getting geared up to do cave classes in side mount later this year. Went with the nomad because I decided I could more reasonably carry my existing lp108 tanks side mount. Saves money (vs buying doubles gear and dedicating tanks to doubles). I haven't had the rig in the water, but I was amazed how comfortable two lp108's were slung while standing. I think it might be easier to walk around with two slung tanks than it is to have just one on my back.

Looking forward to learning some new skills and improving my diving soon!

So how did the class go? And if you don't mind sharing, how many hours is the class and what did it cost? Do you feel it was worth the time and money?

I am looking at the DiveRite Nomad LT.

The class was $300.

He spent about 3 hours in the shop with me. Primarily covering equipment configuration both in a general manner and how to achieve better trim through configuration changes. When I went back into the shop to pick up some equipment I'd ordered, he asked me when I wanted to schedule the next two dives for the class. So, I guess I really haven't completed it yet! I'm glad for the extra training, given that there is no card and I actually signed up in order to gain knowledge.

Class time in the water the first dive was a lot of what we talked about in class. Some time was spent discussing entry methods. I do a lot of boat diving, so we did a giant stride with the tanks clipped on. He didn't recommend donning in water where it is deep since the tanks (lp108) are quite negative when full and it would be easy to drop one. He covered a few other techniques in water. I'm not sure if there is a name, as there was no "manual" but basically for passing restrictions you disconnect the lower tank bolt-snap, move the tanks in front of you, snap them together and swim with the tanks out in front. It leaves you with an even smaller profile and a free hand. I struggled a lot with that, and will certainly be working on it.

I found trim in side mount very easy to manage. Don and doff of the tanks is difficult for me. I'm hoping practice can solve that. I fully understand what to do, but knowing and doing are two different things. I struggle bending my neck due to a spinal fusion, and I get a little grief reading gauges in side mount as configured. I might have to get a slightly longer HP hose for the gauges. Currently I'm having to slightly shift the tanks forward so I can get more than a peripheral glance. Works in OW but might not be great under stress.

Also, fully kitting up well in advance of "get wet" time. That is AWESOME!! It simplifies, or at least de-stresses predive for me. No chance of forgetting anything since you can't really forget your tank and regulator. The only exception here is fins. Fins on early is not a good idea for obvious reasons. Donning fins with two tanks strapped under your arms is probably hilarious to watch. Not so funny to do it, though. Thank heavens for dive buddies!

I ditched the scubapro hoseless transmitter for this configuration. I really would like to find a way to get that back on . I'm told it will be unacceptable in caves due to being an un-necessary entanglement hazard. Even if it's just to augment my regular gauges I won't be allowed them in class. I miss having the detailed air consumption data during my post dive analysis at home. I enjoy doing those, and it completely eliminates a data point. I guess this is really more of a cave thing than a side mount thing.

Even though I won't be using it for a long time, I'll also be practicing with a third deco bottle (al40) during the side mount class. I bought the bottle for deco after the appropriate training (between cave2&3 it's scheduled). So this will be covered as well. I wonder how hard it would be to work a third and fourth lp108 onto the rig :).

Welcome to SM and overhead. I have been overhead for 6 yrs, but I am just starting to get into SM. I did my class last FEB in Marianna. Hooking up definitely gets better and the learning curve is steep. Most places we hook up kneeling in the water, so I put my fins on and then kneel down and hook up the tanks in the water. Some even grab a regulator, lay down between the tanks and then hook them up. The more they are in the water, the easier they are to handle. I don't think I've walked around with the tanks slung.

Good thing we are going SM. I'm becoming afraid they won't let us in a cave in BM :)

I struggled a lot with that, and will certainly be working on it.
Diving 108s, I think anybody would have trouble swinging a tank out front. That's major strength needed. Just a hint, many sm divers find the smaller tanks(hp100s and lp85s) give them the same distance as 108s due to more streamlining and efficiency of kick.

I might have to get a slightly longer HP hose for the gauges. If your gauges are against the tank you could lollipop them instead and it may be easier for you.

I wonder how hard it would be to work a third and fourth lp108 onto the rig :). If you're talking stages, they would be aluminum tanks. You'd need more lift than most any wing would provide if you carried 4 108s

See comments above

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom