New Sony Camcorder models for 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diversteve

always tired
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Sony's just listed sixteen new camcorder models for 2008 at Sony Style USA | Sony VAIO® Computers | Sony Consumer Electronics

Six HDV models:

Three new HDD models:

HDR-SR12 - 5.6MP sensor - 120GB HDD. $1399
HDR-SR11 - 5.6MP sensor - 60GB HDD. $1199
HDR-SR10 - 2.3MP sensor - 40GB HDD. $999

Two new DVD recording models:

HDR-UX20 - 2.3MP sensor - records to DVD, Internal 8GB Flash memory or Memory Stick Pro Duo media. $999
HDR-UX20 - 2.3MP sensor - records to DVD or Memory Stick Pro Duo media. $799

One new tape model:

HDR-HC9 - 3.2MP sensor - $1099

And 10 new SD models:

Four new HDD models:

DCR-SR45 - 680K sensor - 30GB HDD. $499
DCR-SR65 - 340K sensor - 40GB HDD. $599
DCR-SR85 - 680K sensor - 60GB HDD. $699
DCR-SR220 - 2.3MP sensor - 60GB HDD. $849

Four new DVD models:

DCR-DVD910 - 2.3MP sensor. $549
DCR-DVD810 - 340K sensor - records to DVD or 8GB flash memory. $479
DCR-DVD710 - 680K sensor - records to DVD or Memory Stick Pro Duo. $399
DCR-DVD610 - 340K sensor - records to DVD or Memory Stick Pro Duo. $349

Two new tape models:

DCR-HC62 - 690K sensor. $299
DCR-HC52 - 340K sensor. $249

All are available between 2/15/08 and 3/14/08

ooh, looks like the HC9 could have potential. This one line caught my attention... Finally Sony is listening!!!

Assignable Buttons

For ease of recording, three buttons on the exterior of the camcorder are user-assignable so that they can be set to the options most commonly utilized. Could these be assigned to MWB and Exposure? Nice... I'm sure the housing manufacturers will like that...

edit: nevermind - just read the HC-9 manual... It's the same roller and button with option to control exposure/ focus/ AE Shift/ WB Shift/ Shutter only... MWB only accessible through the LCD. Same as the HC-7...

SWEET!! Don't need a new one but it is nice to see them. REALLY nice to see that a couple in there have the LANC port for us die hard electronic housing guys.

The one recording to a memory stick was rather interesting. I would like to know more about how much of a pain it would be to edit without lose of data or other issues.

Looks like my days of using Sony camcorders are numbered. I've used nothing but Sony underwater for the past 8 years, but I sense a change in the air.

Looks like my days of using Sony camcorders are numbered. I've used nothing but Sony underwater for the past 8 years, but I sense a change in the air.

Out of cuiosity, why? What is it about Sony's new models you don't like? I have been considering the HC-7 / Gates housing combo, but at times the changing technology makes me wonder.

The changing technology is the main reason. If they do away with the LANC connector completely, I will no longer be able to use Sony camcorders in my current housing. I absolutely love the fact that the LANC connector has allowed me to use five different Sony camcorders (from the 8 format to the HD format with the HC-7) in a single housing.

I am also an advocate of tape since I prefer it as an archival format along with DVD's for the edited footage.

However, Light & Motion has come out with a housing for the Sony HD camcorders that may solve this. It has flexibility for current and future models via dedicated camera trays for each model.

I refuse to buy a new housing for each format upgrade I make.

The versatility of the housings with the LANC Connection is great as long as the new cameras continue to have the LANC. The only other draw back is the versatile housings dont allow the use of one critical feature...Manual White Balance!

If versatility and budget are the concern, the LANC multi-camera housings are excellent. Those new L&M HD housings are beauties. However for full use of the cameras features, a Gates or L&M Bluefin housing is a must have.

Agree, Mike. I was told when I bought the HC-7 that my housing manufacturer would have MWB accessible via the LANC connector. Later I discovered from the owner of the company that wasn't the case. Certainly an important feature to have access to.

OK, it's 3AM but I still don't get your position.

The changing technology is the main reason. If they do away with the LANC connector completely, I will no longer be able to use Sony camcorders in my current housing. I absolutely love the fact that the LANC connector has allowed me to use five different Sony camcorders (from the 8 format to the HD format with the HC-7) in a single housing.
There's no other manufacturer that allows this flexibility.

I am also an advocate of tape since I prefer it as an archival format along with DVD's for the edited footage.
Me too.

However, Light & Motion has come out with a housing for the Sony HD camcorders that may solve this. It has flexibility for current and future models via dedicated camera trays for each model.
Yes but only for the HDV models.

I refuse to buy a new housing for each format upgrade I make.
I agree with that position but doesn't that mean that you're more inclined to buy the L&M housing since it accommodates most of the HDR series camcorders.

Well it's 7:15 AM and I am stone cold sober, Steve (just kidding ya).

I agree that no other manufacturer (except Canon for a short time) offered the wonderful flexibility of the LANC connector. That's why if Sony drops it in future models (which is the buzz), they will lose that flexibility and advantage.

Yes, it does mean that I applaud L&M's decision to create a "universal" housing that only requires upgrading the camcorder tray when you switch to a new model, and may buy one in the future. All my housings so far have been manufactured by L&M. I think more housing manufacturers need to consider such options.

Back
Top Bottom