New Sony Camcorder models for 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,
I've been looking at the new L&M HD housing but I cannot say that is really a universal housing doe to the fact that will accommodate only HC3, HC5 and HC7 no HC1. Is this doe to the fact it does not have a flat port? To me looks that a Top Dawg with a back monitor is the real universal housing.

It does say that the L&M housing will also accommodate future Sony HD models. We'll see.

I love the Top Dawg, but I'm beginning to think the acrylic flat port may have limitations when used with high resolution cameras like Sony's HDV's.

Hi,
I've been looking at the new L&M HD housing but I cannot say that is really a universal housing doe to the fact that will accommodate only HC3, HC5 and HC7 no HC1. Is this doe to the fact it does not have a flat port? To me looks that a Top Dawg with a back monitor is the real universal housing.
Actually they only list the HC5/HC7.

Stingray HD Compatibility

Sony Model Stingray HD Part #
Sony HC7 860-0110
Sony HC5 860-0110
Sony SR8 860-0110
Sony SR7 860-0110
Sony SR5C 860-0110
Sony SR5 860-0110
Sony SR1 860-0110
Sony UX7 860-0110
Sony UX5 860-0110
Sony UX1 860-0110

But I wonder if that's more a function of supporting existing models as of the day they released the camera. Afaik, the HC5/7 are built on the same chassis, the HC3 would be a little larger and the HC1 would be larger still.

So maybe the Multi-Camera Adapter Tray can be configured for the HC3/HC1 also. As long as you can center the lens in the port for optical reasons, I'm guessing that's likely.

It seems to me that LANC ports are on all of the Sony Prosumer cameras. If Sony decides to drop LANC from it's hobby shooter cameras it would be disappointing, but come on. The mom or dad shooting the Saturday soccer game is NOT the audience for LANC.

Those who are shooting off 2 handle tripod or inside a housing are the major benefactors of LANC. And quite frankly, I think it's spitting in the wind for anyone who is capturing images for a living to make bones about Sony dropping LANC off purely consumer cameras.

Manual white balance is available as a button on every pro level camera I could name. Assignable buttons is a common feature too. If you want pro features, why not step up to a professional camera?

Regarding wanting tape in the unit? For God's sake why? Run out to tape with your raw/finished mix for archival purposes. Tape in the machine is primary issue with obsolescence. A hard drive can record DV, HDV, HDCAM, DVCPro, or anything else you throw at it. And it can store a LOT more data, more quickly than tape.

This is not intended as a rant. It just mystifies me why it's such a hot argument.

And quite frankly, I think it's spitting in the wind for anyone who is capturing images for a living to make bones about Sony dropping LANC off purely consumer cameras.

Manual white balance is available as a button on every pro level camera I could name. Assignable buttons is a common feature too. If you want pro features, why not step up to a professional camera?

Cost is a major factor... my work is largely as a non-profit for educational purposes. There is little grant money available for scientific research in the marine environment (unless you're working for the Navy), much less for marine science education.

Were I doing this for high dollar clients, I would undoubtedly have a different set-up, although many of the "professional" camcorders and housings I've seen would have little value in capturing some of the footage I shoot because they are simply too large to get into the nooks and crannies.

Regarding wanting tape in the unit? For God's sake why? Run out to tape with your raw/finished mix for archival purposes. Tape in the machine is primary issue with obsolescence. A hard drive can record DV, HDV, HDCAM, DVCPro, or anything else you throw at it. And it can store a LOT more data, more quickly than tape.

Tape drives can fail, but if it is just the tape, I simply put a new one in. I've actually only had one tape drive mechanism "fail," and it was repaired easily with a simple turn of the screwdriver topside. Hard drives fail... and can you replace one in the field? I don't think so. If I'm on an extended trip to foreign dive destinations, I'd hate to have the hard drive fail and not be able to replace it myself with a spare.

It is also a matter of having hundreds and hundreds of hours of archival footage on tape that I can simply pop into any one of my mini-DV or HDV camcorders and recapture if necessary. Can't do that with a hard drive based system unless you have a separate camcorder with a tape drive.

Cost is a factor for all of us. And I am sure I am not unique when I say that it is entirely possible to use video gear outside of primary work to earn some money. You have the means, the opportunity, the good name, and the talent to use your video gear topside or even underwater for commercial interest, even if you just use it to finance your primary work.

Cameras like the Panny HVX or the PD170 (yes I know it's not HDV) are not appreciably larger. The L&M rig for the FX7 is a bit larger of course, but I don't know how small you need to get.

No one is saying that hard drives don't fail. Sure they do. But if my livelihood depends on it working, I am carrying a spare. The Panny going with the P2 is a nice choice. A bit limiting for capturing DVCProHD but unless you're finishing to film, that's generally not necessary. Solid state recording media is the future I think. Looking at what Panasonic is doing, Red, etc., I think this is the way to go. No moving parts, little to fail. I went tapeless in early 2007. The only time my projects see tape now is for archival purposes. And that is usually on fresh, full size DV tape. If I was doing short-form video, it could just as easily be mini-DV tapes.

All this belabors the point. The world if video is shifting quickly. The limits of HDV written to tape have been realized and lines are being drawn. HDV going to tape will quickly become the "entry level" system and support for advanced features will dwindle. AVCHD (h.264) written to solid state, or DVD based media will become the new standard and more sophisticated features will be available there.

It is absolutely ASTOUNDING to me what a $3k camera will do these days. You could actually shoot a REAL movie and not be embarrassed by it on a $3k camera. Things that were the sole domain of the CineAlta, and the Varicam 3 years ago, are now found in sub $10k cameras.

But I have a feeling that tape mechanisms in cameras are about to become as quaint as a bellows on a still camera. And it's not going to take long to happen.

Cost is a major factor... my work is largely as a non-profit fort educational purposes. There is little grant money available for scientific research in the marine environment (unless you're working for the Navy), much less for marine science education.

Were I doing this for high dollar clients, I would undoubtedly have a different set-up, although many of the "professional" camcorders and housings I've seen would have little value in capturing some of the footage I shoot because they are simply too large to get into the nooks and crannies.

Tape drives can fail, but if it is just the tape, I simply put a new one in. I've actually only had one tape drive mechanism "fail," and it was repaired easily with a simple turn of the screwdriver topside. Hard drives fail... and can you replace one in the field? I don't think so. If I'm on an extended trip to foreign dive destinations, I'd hate to have the hard drive fail and not be able to replace it myself with a spare.

It is also a matter of having hundreds and hundreds of hours of archival footage on tape that I can simply pop into any one of my mini-DV or HDV camcorders and recapture if necessary. Can't do that with a hard drive based system unless you have a separate camcorder with a tape drive.

My goodness, PerroneFord... you mean you aren't still using bellows like I am? Just teasing ya, my friend. The only time I still use them is when I'm shooting extreme macro still images. I sold my 4" x 5" and 5" x 7" cameras some time ago.

I agree with the solid state storage devices. That certainly is a transition I'm willing to make when the time comes.

I am curious though (and due to my Old Timers I have a faint remembrance of you answering this or a similar question before)... how many HDD camcorders allow either a user replaceable HDD or an add on drive that could be used as a substitute if the main HDD goes south (which is where I;d like to be right about now)?

I believe some of the hard drive camcorders out there have an option of recording to a memory stick of some kind. As long as the memory stick can hold 60 minutes at full resolution, I'd record to that instead of the hard drive. I think that type of recording is what will eliminate tape, not hard drives.

Or there is this one that records only to a stick. Bad part is that it seems to be stripped of a few features that we might like..like LANC.

Flash memory for video cameras is definitely the future... whether user replaceable or fixed internally... I think Samsung's already announced a 128GB flash drive (solid state drive) for laptops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom