New Sony Camcorder models for 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow... I could live with that... if it had a LANC connector!

My infatuation with Sony appears to be nearing an end. Just did a single dive in our park to film one of the wrecks for a client. The wonderful "6 1/2 hour" Sony camcorder battery lost its juice after less than 30 minutes. It had just been freshly charged this morning. Add that to the Sony battery in my Dell laptop that failed after 13 months... and my disgruntlement with the HC-7, and I may be looking elsewhere unless I get a "nice" response from Sony's CEO when I write.

Wow... I could live with that... if it had a LANC connector!

My infatuation with Sony appears to be nearing an end. Just did a single dive in our park to film one of the wrecks for a client. The wonderful "6 1/2 hour" Sony camcorder battery lost its juice after less than 30 minutes. It had just been freshly charged this morning. Add that to the Sony battery in my Dell laptop that failed after 13 months... and my disgruntlement with the HC-7, and I may be looking elsewhere unless I get a "nice" response from Sony's CEO when I write.

Wow, Dr. Bill - they really should be replacing that battery for you. I have two NP-FH70 batteries. I can easily get two 60 minutes dives with each of these (and usually enough time to watch the video once and capture the footage..) I'm pushing it for 2 dives on the FH60, but I would think the the FH100 (3900mAh vs. 1800mAh for the FH70) should be good for at LEAST 4 dives. Sorry to hear about your continued Sony bad luck...

Although it seems like an odd combination to mix DVD with solid state media the two new UX models both can write to an 8GB Memory Stick Duo Pro media card (Sony's proprietary format afaik) I'm sure a bigger capacity CX? model can't be far behind.

Also just to correct my original post, the only HDV model is the HC9, the others are all AVCHD format.

It looks like the HC9 has the same layout/dimensions as the HC7? Could possibly work in the Gates housing - but I don't see any reasons/features that would make someone want to upgrade from the HC7. Cool black color though...

Cool black color may be right, but if the darned thing doesn't take decent underwater video, who cares!

Thanks ScubaBob for your offer of a loaner battery while I vent my hostility at Sony's CEO... er, I mean write the individual to see if I get some satisfaction on this issue.

I finally had a chance to check out the specs on the HC-9...
So other than a color change to black, an attachable lens hood, and a few options in the LCD menu such as peaking, it's pretty much the same camera. Sensor and lens are the same. Dimensions appear to be the identical. The peaking menu feature could be nice, but not enough to justify an upgrade.

HC9 Dimensions: 3 1/4" x 3 1/4" x 5 1/2" inch (82 x 82 x138 mm)

HC7 Dimensions: 3 1/4" x 3 1/4" x 5 1/2" (82 x 82 x 138mm)

It seems like the manufacturers are discontinuing and releasing new models every 12 months. Sometimes a truly new model or improvements are made, but sometimes it's just a cosmetic change with minor upgrades that don't result in much improvement. You see this everywhere. Cars, TV's, sports equipment, etc..

Annoying, but also an opportunity to get a great price on the discontinued models. Since I am already tape based, I might get another small HDV tape camcorder for topside filming, interviews, editing deck, etc.. The Canon HV20 at $675 looks mighty attractive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom