New Sony cameras coming on May 11 (if rumors are true)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to this site:
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Digital Camera - Full Review - The Imaging Resource!

When we originally looked at the Sony NEX-5's high ISO images, we thought a new benchmark had been set. Indeed, the images do look pretty good, and may actually set a new high mark for overall quality, but these detail crops show that it's not quite a complete coup. The chief rivals for the top spot continue to be the T1i and E-P1 at ISO 100, and the E-P1 and T1i at ISO 3,200.

My decision to be an early adopter and buy the E-P1 last summer still doesn't look too bad.

According to this site:
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Digital Camera - Full Review - The Imaging Resource!

My decision to be an early adopter and buy the E-P1 last summer still doesn't look too bad.

Don't get too happy yet...seems those result are from preproduction samples and, after looking at their low ISO resolution images, they are around 2,600 to 2,800... which at iso 200, would be a new record. Best test images I have ever seen from them, except for a full frame camera.

But, there are a couple of other items with theses camera's that make it far more suited for use Underwater:

1. The camera has 3 buttons.. 3. Yes, they are a bit confusing, yes they do different things under different types of images, but an underwater case would be very, very simple.

2. The add on flash is still very compact.

3. The stock lens has very reasonable macro (down to around 9 inches). So if one made a case for the camera, a flat port with 67mm threading would be all you would need for great macro images.

4. The fixed lens will have both a wide angle and fish-eye add ons. Have a dome and low cost wide angle would be very practical. But a dome on the stock zoom would be 24mm.

5. 1080I at 60 frames per second, with full control in video and silent lens....not bad.

I am surprised by the camera only going to iso 200...surprised the stock lens focuses so close and surprised actual low iso image quality.

Not surprised by the low cost, the video or the initial lens.

Auto panorama is somewhat neat also, and may allow wideangle images with a flat port, but moving objects while doing it can be an issue.

Will be interesting to see if UW housing come out for it and their cost.

Ritz is taking pre-orders on the NEX3 and NEX5. And they list fairly detailed specs. Let's go swimming with one!!!

NEX3 here:
542088836.jpg

Sony alpha NEX-3 Digital Camera Search Results - RitzCamera.com

NEX5 here:
542088752.jpg

Sony alpha NEX-5 Digital Camera Search Results - RitzCamera.com

People once upon a time bought the lens they wanted to use and then bought the camera that would shoot it. That is still the way I think. I am not going to chase camera bodies around until they have lenses (and housings) that support the "vision" I have in my head (as bad as it may be).

N

People once upon a time bought the lens they wanted to use and then bought the camera that would shoot it. That is still the way I think. I am not going to chase camera bodies around until they have lenses (and housings) that support the "vision" I have in my head (as bad as it may be).

N

In the days when everyone could put the same film in their camera, and features were all very similar, that made a lot of sense.

Today, In the digital world, particularly for uw use, one has to be concerned with:

1. Features
2. Image quality (with a whole host of issues, including raw versus Jpeg)
3. Available lens.
4. Effect of "extras" like video and hundreds of other new features.
5. The housing for the camera and it's issues.
6. Total cost.
7. Size and weight if you travel.
8. Compatibility with the other stuff like strobes.

Add to that, that everyone can have different criteria, and just like the cameras, the issue has gotten a whole lot more complex.

We don't have any housing for the sony evil cameras, but as a camera, it would seem to have a leg up over the Micro 4/3's:

1. The stock zoom lens is a 18-55, but the sensor is bigger. So one has the equvalent of a 27 - 82.5. Just a bit wider angle than the Pany or Oly. Focus is closer 9 inches versus around 12 also.

2. The fixed lens has a wide angle and fish eye add ons. So a case with a dome would be all one needs for those.

3. Image quality (at least on the few resolution tests I have seen) is seriously better.

4. The cost is lower (when you include lens).

5. Three buttons.. an UW case just needs three buttons. No touch screen, no dials...may be the simplest case ever made.

6. Smaller than either the Oly or the Pany.

7. Does not have a built in strobe, but does come with a small attachable one...fitting in a case should be easy.

If someone like 10bar makes a case with a dome for the wide angle and flat port for the standard lens, I will buy one. But we are a ways from that happening (if ever)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom