New Sony cameras coming on May 11 (if rumors are true)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Puffer Fish

Captain Happy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Sony is supposed to be releasing the NEX cameras on May 11th. This non-viewfinder, APC-C size sensor, with several lens should be very interesting, if someone will make a housing for it. The higher end unit should have 1080 video and be around the size of the Oly/Pany smaller sensor units.

If someone makes a housing for it, should be another good uw option to the DSLR.

Time will tell.

I heard these rumors too, but I was dubious. Come on, we don't need yet another standard.

But this looks real. Sony invited the press to a release on May 11 in Hong Kong. Details of the first two models have leaked from the factory in China. It sounds very, very good.

The best news is it will force Olympus and Panasonic to drop pricing on M43 cameras and lenses. They are gouging because they can, they had a monopoly in this product space. Not any more. Sony's pricing for the NEX3 will be below the E-PL1.

I really hope there is a housing for it too. New toys!

I heard these rumors too, but I was dubious. Come on, we don't need yet another standard.

I don't see how this is a new standard. It will use an APC-C sized sensor. This isn't exactly new. The camera form may be new, but camera forms are not standards.

It is unlikely to have a new lens mount standard either.

I don't see how this is a new standard. It will use an APC-C sized sensor. This isn't exactly new. The camera form may be new, but camera forms are not standards.

It is unlikely to have a new lens mount standard either.

Just search the web for "sony nex camera". It's not released yet, but the leaks from China are consistent. It has a new lens mount standard, E-mount (with a converter to A-mount). The first two lenses said to be a 16mm F2.8 and an 18-55mm. The lenses will be smaller and the body much smaller than DSLRs, since there is no need for clearance for the reflex mirror. It takes dead aim at the M43 market. Since this is all rumor, I don't want to debate the merits, wait until May 11. These leaks seem to be orchestrated by Sony, like chumming fish. Product will be in stores in June, per rumors.

Pictures here:
sonyalpharumors Blog Archive Sony NEX vs MicroFourThirds size comparison
Specs from:
sonyalpharumors Blog Archive (SR3) The first Sony NEX mirrorless cameras are very similar to the Panasonic GF1

"According to the same sources that posted the NEX5 and NEX3 specs (on a chinese forum) both cameras will be very compact. He says the shape is very similar to the Panasonic GF1 and it doesn’t have built-in electronic viewfinder. A bigger model with better video capabilities and built-in EVF is planned to be announced after the NEX5-NEX3 models.

REMINDER For those that still don’t know the specs:
He says the name of the mirrorless cameras will be “NEX5” and “NEX3“. They have a new mount…the “E-mount“. And they will come with two lenses: 18-55/F3.5-5.6 , 16mm/2.8.

Here the specs:

14mp APS-C CMOS
-brand new Sony E mount (adapter for A mount)
-used SDHC or MS
-RAW supported
-3.0 LCD 920K color
-11 AF point
-ISO 200-12800
-Video recording (model NEX5: 1080 NEX3:720p) format Mp4 or AVCHD
-built-in flash and AF Assistance light
-new FW50 batteries"

The invitation to the Launch is here:
Sony NEX EVIL camera's press event invitations are out | Photo Rumors
Here is the invitation text (probably a bad translation from Cantonese, since this is in Hong Kong).

“Worldwide attention debut

Anywhere beyond the imagination of the lightweight body experience quality SLR digital camera Market, the highly anticipated Sony’s first interchangeable lens digital camera series, will be May 11, 2010 simultaneous global release, and the media are invited to bring a friend the first to feel the new series of excellent photography experience.

New series of lightweight slim design to meet the advanced shooting functions, fully meet the needs of photographers, anytime, anywhere to enjoy the fun of shooting; new series also brought the quality SLR digital cameras let you play to creativity.

In addition, the new camera series of product designers will be a special trip to attend the conference to share its unique design concept.

Friends are invited to experience the Sony media is full of unlimited creative digital imaging world. Welcome to your report / s on site to interview
Date ︰ 2010/5/11
Time ︰ 12:45″

And Nikon get's it's sensor from Sony I believe and there is likely a Nikon not to far behind. But I kinda favor the M4:3 as it is more mature and more lenses. A small fisheye zoom is needed.

N

Sony is supposed to be releasing the NEX cameras on May 11th. This non-viewfinder, APC-C size sensor, with several lens should be very interesting, if someone will make a housing for it. The higher end unit should have 1080 video and be around the size of the Oly/Pany smaller sensor units.

If someone makes a housing for it, should be another good uw option to the DSLR.

Time will tell.

I keep hoping Ikelite will release a housing for NEX cameras with interchangeable lens ports. If you think that would be a good idea, check the new poll in the Ikelite forum. I put this up early this morning and they already said, we're working on one for 2010. Let them know what you want in the poll.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ikelite/334611-housing-m43-nex-cams-planned.html

I'm amazed at how quickly EVIL cameras are catching on.

I started designing a housing to work with some old underwater rangefinder lenses last August. Because of the rangefinder lenses, I needed a mirrorless camera with interchangeable lenses. At that time, there were four cameras that met my requirements: Leica M8, Panasonic DMC-G1, Pansonic DMC-GH1, and Olympus EP-1.

After Sony's announcement tomorrow, there will be 13 mirrorless cameras with interchangeable lenses: Leica M8, Leica M9, Samsung NX10, Sony NEX3, Sony NEX5, Oly EP-1, Oly EP-2, Oly EPL-1, Panny GMC-G1, Panny GMC-G2, Panny GMC-G10, Panny GMC-GH1, and Panny GMC-GF1.

This category has gone from four cameras to 13 cameras (from five different suppliers) in under 9 months. That's impressive growth.

EVILs are going to be the HOT camera market for the next few years, it is just getting rolling. N

Well, tomorrow is the big day...should be interesting.

Nemrod, You are correct, Nikon buys most of their sensors from Sony.

Still leaning towards the Pany, but the NEX5 and the NEX7 will be very interesting camera's...so if there is a housing, I am so there.

Well, tomorrow is the big day...should be interesting.

Nemrod, You are correct, Nikon buys most of their sensors from Sony.

Still leaning towards the Pany, but the NEX5 and the NEX7 will be very interesting camera's...so if there is a housing, I am so there.

The Sony product launch happened. Here are a couple of hands on looks. They say ships in July.
preview of Sony NEX from PC magazine: Hands On: Sony's NEX-5 Small Interchangeable-Lens Camera | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
Here's another: NEWS! - Digital Cameras, Digital Imaging, Digital Photography, Digital Scanners

I'm trying to stir up interest at Ikelite in doing a housing for some of the M43 or Sony NEX cams. They say already working on it. Take the poll here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ikelite/334611-housing-m43-nex-cams-planned.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom