New SW Peregrine announced today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only change beyond two new color schemes seems to be the SS buttons. Pretty darn light on ‘new’ features/functions to constitute a new product release. I’m underwhelmed.

I'd honestly be annoyed and worried if it had any new features (except AI, of course, which would make it a separate product) since the whole lineup generally shares software and features...

When I saw this thread, I was really hoping for an AI version. Oh well.

First rule of scuba diving applies here too: Never hold your breath.

Honestly it's sort of silly not to add AI... what does that take hardware wise, like a $3 reciever? SW is awesome, but they definitely miss the mark on some things.

Honestly it's sort of silly not to add AI... what does that take hardware wise, like a $3 reciever? SW is awesome, but they definitely miss the mark on some things.
I had a back and forth with some dude on Facebook who assures me that Shearwater told him it would cost the same as the Perdix if they added it. I too find that somewhat hard to believe, but I guess the majority of the difference is software based once you have everything hardware-wise from the Perdix?

I feel like Shearwater have boxed themselves a bit into a corner - by having such high-quality and slightly over-engineering for what the OC Rec community needs, they have kind of priced themselves out of the lower end of the market.

I think they would absolutely destroy the mid-market segment if they downgraded some of the fit/finish of the Peregrine (more plastic less metal, waterproof to only 100m, lower storage capacity for dives between syncing, switch to user-replaceable batter vs integrated rechargeable) and added AI and/or a compass and hit the $500-600 price point. At this point in dive computer technology, it really feels like AI should be standard and something I would far rather have over wireless charging.

I have a Teric, so this is all academic for me, but I do think there's a LOT of divers out there that such a computer would appeal to.

I had a back and forth with some dude on Facebook who assures me that Shearwater told him it would cost the same as the Perdix if they added it. I too find that somewhat hard to believe, but I guess the majority of the difference is software based once you have everything hardware-wise from the Perdix?

I feel like Shearwater have boxed themselves a bit into a corner - by having such high-quality and slightly over-engineering for what the OC Rec community needs, they have kind of priced themselves out of the lower end of the market.

I think they would absolutely destroy the mid-market segment if they downgraded some of the fit/finish of the Peregrine (more plastic less metal, waterproof to only 100m, lower storage capacity for dives between syncing, switch to user-replaceable batter vs integrated rechargeable) and added AI and/or a compass and hit the $500-600 price point. At this point in dive computer technology, it really feels like AI should be standard and something I would far rather have over wireless charging.

I have a Teric, so this is all academic for me, but I do think there's a LOT of divers out there that such a computer would appeal to.

That dude was fed a line of bs. If that was the case then the perdix AI would cost so much more than the perdix. It ended up being like $40 or $50 more, which you know it didn't cost them that to actually do it.

Idc either, I have zero interest in a pergrine.

I think they would absolutely destroy the mid-market segment if they downgraded some of the fit/finish of the Peregrine (more plastic less metal, waterproof to only 100m, lower storage capacity for dives between syncing, switch to user-replaceable batter vs integrated rechargeable) and added AI and/or a compass and hit the $500-600 price point.
I'm guessing they did some pretty interesting calculations in determining which features to put in the Peregrine to avoid cannibalizing their other sales. I'm strictly a recreational diver, and if the Peregrine had AI and a Compass I definitely would have bought the Peregrine. But since it didn't, and I really wanted the Compass (AI is still a "maybe someday" for me) I finally just bit the bullet and got the Perdix 2. More computer than I really need, and more money than I really wanted to spend -- but I bought the Perdix 2 anyhow, so more $$ for Shearwater.

If I were SW, I'd be damned if I ever offered AI in the Peregrine. For most all of their market, it would be the same as the Perdix AI. If I did do it, it would be no more than $50 less than a Perdix AI. Customer pricing is never about "cost". It's about what folks are willing to pay for the upgrade feature. Thus being able to make money - drive a higher margin for a higher value feature set.

It would be cannabalizing Perdix sales otherwise.

You're paying for features, not parts. Why give up margin and profit just so divers can get top-of-the-line features for nothing?

I want Shewarwater to make good money for their owners so they keep making good stuff. Competitvely priced? Yes. Giving away the store? No.

Getting rid of an SPG is worth more than $5 even if the parts only cost that much.

Aside -
Garmin's competing product, the Descent G1, at roughly the same price point as the Peregrine, is not AI compatible either. Could they put AI in it? Probably. Say for $5 more in hardware? Maybe. But should they sell it at $5 more than the current models? Nope.

Garmin's competing product, the Descent G1, at roughly the same price point as the Peregrine, is not AI compatible either. Could they put AI in it? Probably. Say for $5 more in hardware? Maybe. But should they sell it at $5 more than the current models? Nope.

Garmin in general have made some very weird choices around their dive product features. I was speaking to a dive professional and they said Garmin are about to drop a bunch of OLED dive watches that have AI but come in the smaller S size variant. So watch this space I guess.

If I were SW, I'd be damned if I ever offered AI in the Peregrine. For most all of their market, it would be the same as the Perdix AI. If I did do it, it would be no more than $50 less than a Perdix AI. Customer pricing is never about "cost". It's about what folks are willing to pay for the upgrade feature. Thus being able to make money - drive a higher margin for a higher value feature set.

It would be cannabalizing Perdix sales otherwise.

You're paying for features, not parts. Why give up margin and profit just so divers can get top-of-the-line features for nothing?

I want Shewarwater to make good money for their owners so they keep making good stuff. Competitvely priced? Yes. Giving away the store? No.

Getting rid of an SPG is worth more than $5 even if the parts only cost that much.

Aside -
But it wasn't $5, it was ~ $50. That was the difference in cost from Perdix to Perfix AI (I think). Idc about $50 for AI (most people wouldn't).

I would almost venture to say the market for AI is better on the recreational side then tech. No reason to not have a dc setup (like the Peregrine) with AI in the ~ $550 price range.

I'm a big advocate for buying used stuff at much less than retail.. so a brand new Peregrine is nowhere on my radar.. with or without AI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom