New Techi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orbiter

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished my tech course (ANDY technical safeair diver) and have somewhat of a decision to make...
My trusty old orbiter will now become my deco regulator as I intend of purchasing a new one.

So the real question is - which of the following should I go for: MK25, LX (Aqualung) or the Apeks ATX 200?
All are top of the line but I only need one and I'll be takeing it deep so fine tuning my decision is kinda hard.
I read the DIVERNET review but found it lacking. I could use some personel experience and any usefull info.
Thanks,
Yaron

Both the Scubapro and Apeks are highly regarded technical quality regulators, although I don't like the hose routing of the ATX200 for doubles.

But, as you're only looking at one regulator, you're obviously not going very deep, so it will work okay.
I'm not familiar with the LX series.

MD

So any gear I get now will have to be suitable for that purpose.

MechDiver once bubbled...
Both the Scubapro and Apeks are highly regarded technical quality regulators, although I don't like the hose routing of the ATX200 for doubles.
That was one of the reasons why i chose the atx200 cause i liked the hose routing. Different strokes for different folks i guess :D

Orbiter

Couple things you want to consider, depending on far you wish to go with your training.

Performance is first, Apex and Scubapro are good performers. You may also want to look at Poseidon. Repairs or maintenance is another. Apex is the least expensive to service and the easist to field repair if necessary.

For hose routing, the Poseidon is the best. I've used Apex TX100, TX50 and the DS4 and have always gone back to the Poseidon first stage on my back.. A buddy of mine uses Scubrapro and its not as clean. (oh let the flaming begin).

Don't be affaid to mix and match. Poseidon first and APEX seconds make a great combo.

Just my two cents...

SB

Why does ANDI call their programs "SafeAir" when the rest of the industry has standardized on "nitrox"? What's the point?

O-ring once bubbled...
Why does ANDI call their programs "SafeAir" when the rest of the industry has standardized on "nitrox"? What's the point?

I think they have a trademark on "SafeAir" and believe it is a way to disinguish their courses or certifications from others.

Karen

Karen Cleveland once bubbled...

I think they have a trademark on "SafeAir" and believe it is a way to disinguish their courses or certifications from others.

Karen
Thanks! I was just curious what the deal was...thought they might be adding something to plain ole nitrox to make it safer.. :D

O-ring once bubbled...

Actually, ANDI has the cleanest breathing gas in the industry. This statement is based solely on their published quality standards. Personally, I think that gas quality is what ANDI does best. Accordingly, the term "Safe Air" is used to distinguish the purity levels of their gas from that of the competition.

MechDiver once bubbled...
... although I don't like the hose routing of the ATX200 for doubles.
I use the ATX200 as one of my 1st stages for twins and I thought the routing was quite ok, but if it was DIN then it would be cleaner.
I closed most of the ports and had only 2 houses running from the same side, so it was quite ok.
But having said that, if I was to purchase again I would look to buy DIN and think about the house routing. I purchase my Apeks as my main set for single tank use before I ever thought about diving twins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom