Need input regarding 1st Regulator Set.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello folks,
I follow this blog since a few weeks and I'm really impressed about the great input you give. After over 200+ dives with (sometimes funny) rental gear, even finishing my dive master in Komodo I finally want to buy my own gear. As rental gear is pretty wacky at times - I did not have a great expectation regarding special features.
I will start my IDC in Indonesia soon and need some reliable gear for the next 1000+ dives

I'm currently sitting in Germany heading out for Indonesia so after comparing prices I think it's a good place to buy the gear as in Indonesia there are some shipping costs & taxes. I watched hours and hours of comparisons of different regulators but still cannot decide between the hundreds of different options.

What I search:
- reliable Regulator which does not fail me
- environmentally sealed
- future proof regarding serviceability, especially in Asia
- mostly doing warm water dives but if spending the money i would like it to be used in cold water possible too
- Nitrox EAN 40 compatible
- balanced
- not too heavy

This is my shortlist:
Scubapro MK25 / A700
Aqualung Leg3nd Elite
Apeks XTX 200

Do you have some input regarding those models ? :)

Greetings,
Andi

You don't need a sealed reg. Get a xtx50/DST or DS4 if you want Apeks or MK25/g250 if you want scubapro (or a cheaper model, they'll be fine too). The top range regs (A700/xtx200/etc) aren't any better, you're just paying for looks.

I watched hours and hours of comparisons of different regulators but still cannot decide between the hundreds of different options.
I don't know what you've watched but if it was on youtube, it was likely all BS. Virtually every product review on youtube just advertisement these days.

Of the 3 you’ve selected I would probably go Apeks but for my own use I’m at Zeagle F8.

Two G260s and a Mark 17 Evo or Mark 19 Evo. I am not terribly fond of the Mark 19 due to it being slightly on the larger end of the spectrum and at least in NA the Mark 17 has been dropped, same as the 19 but no turret. Cold, deep, tech, cave, deco, whatever, it can handle it.

Or Scubapro C370 with a Mark 11? Not fully sealed but the only thing that sees the seawater is the spring chamber and is easy to rinse out.

Maybe something like an Atomic B2? I would avoid Apeks and AL due to those two brands (Apeks owned by AL) being now under the umbrella of a new investment group.

Two G260s and a Mark 17 Evo or Mark 19 Evo. I am not terribly fond of the Mark 19 due to it being slightly on the larger end of the spectrum and at least in NA the Mark 17 has been dropped, same as the 19 but no turret. Cold, deep, tech, cave, deco, whatever, it can handle it.

Or Scubapro C370 with a Mark 11? Not fully sealed but the only thing that sees the seawater is the spring chamber and is easy to rinse out.

Maybe something like an Atomic B2? I would avoid Apeks and AL due to those two brands (Apeks owned by AL) being now under the umbrella of a new investment group.
A MK2 evo with two G260’s?

A MK2 evo with two G260’s?

I was trying to stick to his stated requirements, not mine and for once stay on topic. For me, a Mark 2 Evo and two nice G250s are the cats(fishes) meow! Nothing could be more simple or reliable or really perform much better or be more cool! And being cool is important :wink:.

Complicated (Expensive) < ME >>>>> (Inexpensive) Simple

The force vectors on the seesaw have changed for me, the more complicated and expensive you guys :poke:get the more simple I am inclined to become. And a G250 is about as simple and reliable as a balanced second stage can be and is time proven for performance and reliability and what is more dirt simple than a Mark 2 Evo? Answer for both, nothing, nothing that equals the breathing performance :stirpot: .

See what you did, you got me off topic, bad Eric :cheers:.

I would not buy Aqualung or Apeks at this time because of the financial situation the company is currently in.

I would not buy a ScubaPro A700 at all. I would prefer a G260, or a C370, or an S620Ti over the A700.

My top choice would be Atomic Z2 sealed, with second Z2 for octo.

Next would be the ScubaPro Mk19 EVO with 2 x G260.

I don't want to trigger anyone here by saying the Atomic is better, so I'll just say the Atomic setup is at least as good as any of the ScubaPro regs mentioned - and it is a LOT less expensive (at least, here in the US).

Two G260s and a Mark 17 Evo or Mark 19 Evo. I am not terribly fond of the Mark 19 due to it being slightly on the larger end of the spectrum
This^^^, I have both the Mk17 and a Mk19, the Mk 17 is my travel regulator with either 2 G260 or 2 G250, both breath about the same on either 1st stage.
Ticks all your dot points.

The Mk17 is yoke for travel and the Mk19 DIN for local.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom