New Teric and nitpicking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I badly need an "unlike" button. Even an "I hate you so much" button for these sort of occasions.
That would be a HILARIOUS feature for scubaboard. An I hate you so much! button.... and it could track your hates ...... lool! id probably win that contest every night I drink!

Wow, that is amazing and good news for manufacturers! Why would people with perfectly functioning SW DCs upgrade to the Teric? Is it size or added functionality or looks cool or all of the above?

I upgraded from an almost new suunto zoop novo to my perdix A.I. for the A.I. and large screen, replaceable batteries easily, and the ridiculously easy navigation through menus. My suunto is a total pita to navigate. Its junk in my mind I hate it. To me that cheap computer is like trying to work through calculus problems and that was almost impossible for me in high school. The perdix turned navigation into 1+1

for that alone id have changed and paid. but the color screen and dozens more reasons im glad i dont use a cheap computer anymore

I totally agree. And, those people you're talking about are the same ones I was talking about when I said "people who are not replacing an existing SW computer."

The Perdix is not sexy. The Teric has everything that is good about the Perdix, some stuff that's better, AND it is dead sexy!

And, when you compare it to its non-Shearwater competition, like the ScubaPro G2, Ratio iX3M, Divesoft Freedom, HW OSTC 2/3/4, Suunto Eon Steel/Core, etc., the price is very reasonable as well! Same even when compared to its recreational competition, it's pretty reasonable. Generally more expensive, but not a lot more expensive and it's easy to see what you're getting for the extra money.

People are saying the teric menu navigation is not as intuitive or as easy. That is the main reason aside from A.I. that I bought the Perdix AI

Is the teric harder to navigate than my perdix?

... There are no less than 12 (twelve!) info bar screens that the user can visit in OC Tech mode. They do contain a ton of useful information, but the trouble is the diver can only visit them sequentially in their predetermined order. Only the first one is customizable at all. I often times found myself wanting to check a few specific bits of info during long deco stops (time, CNS%, GF values, etc) only to have a face off with the single-direction info bar screen sequencing. My experience went something like: click, click, darn (still not what I need), click, darn, click... ah finally! I tried to train myself to embrace the logic of the info bar, but the experience did not change. These 12 screens in the order they are in must have made sense to somebody at Shearwater, but they sure don't fit my thinking.

Ok, so it is cool that the info bar can show the precise pressure in mBars compared to the surface, but how is that useful in the midst of a dive? 12 screens I need to tab through to get to the 3-4 bits of information that I need. If only there was a way to customize the order of the screens, suppress some of them that you don't care about, be able to navigate them bidirectionally the experience could be better.

Trying to describe the info bar experience takes a lot of words. I don't want to make it sound like a big deal. It's not really terrible per se, but it's not great either. If I were Shearwater, I would take a closer look at that and see how it could be improved.
FYI, not sure if you saw it, but post 89 in this thread there's a link to a similar desire in another thread which @Shearwater have responded to (as part of a general list of desires). I suspect they're reading this thread too - hopefully a few more +1s helps ...

If they made the Teric with a B/W LCD screen and one year battery life I'd buy it. Right now I am happy with the Oceanic OCi, but the Teric has some features I like. Daily charging is not one of them.

People are saying the teric menu navigation is not as intuitive or as easy. That is the main reason aside from A.I. that I bought the Perdix AI

Is the teric harder to navigate than my perdix?
No - it’s actually even easier as you have a “go back” button.

If they made the Teric with a B/W LCD screen and one year battery life I'd buy it. Right now I am happy with the Oceanic OCi, but the Teric has some features I like. Daily charging is not one of them.

"daily charging" is misinformation. I've done a dozen dives over [EDIT] several four days and only used 75% of a (full) battery.

"daily charging" is misinformation. I've done a dozen dives over several days and only used 75% of a (full) battery.
agreed - no need to charge the Teric every day while diving! However, dropping it on a Qi wireless charging pad each night is super easy too, so I don't get the battery concerns at all!

Reactions: Jay
Havent even taken my teric on a dive yet and I love it. I find it intuitive and the screen is even better than my predator which has always blown the petrel and perdix away.

I’ve got 2 predators for sale for a good price if anyones interested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom