New Teric and nitpicking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I received a new Shearwater Teric today. Thank you Dive Gear Express!!!

I have played with it for a bit this afternoon and have a couple of nits to pick with it. Overall, it seems like the computer I have been waiting for. Great size. Great readability. AI. All the other features I need and want.

But, I have noticed a few things so far that I feel like would be nice if they were improved upon.

- When I put it in the charger, the screen changes to a night stand mode, if you will. But, it only stays on for a few seconds and then the whole display goes black. It would be nice if there was at least an option to have it stay on. I have been using a Motorola smartwatch for a few years and have gotten used to having it on the charger by my bed and having it display the time at all times. When I wake up in the middle of the night, I can glance over and see what time it is. I'm not planning to use the Teric as a daily wear watch. But, if i'm on a dive trip, I would probably rather just bring the Teric and charge it every night and have it do the same thing for me - act as a bedside clock as well as my alarm clock.

- I always use a NATO strap on my watch-style computers. It gives me peace of mind that a strap pin can't break and result in losing my computer. Also, the NATO strap design is nice because it allows me to have a strap that is long enough to use over a drysuit sleeve and then easily tuck the excess strap out of the way when I'm diving in a thin wetsuit. No need to carry a strap extender around. It seems like a lot of people using watch-style computers would want to do this. At least, if using them for technical diving. Anyway, I'm a little surprised and very slightly disappointed that the Teric charger basically has no allowance and won't work with a NATO strap in place. Not a big deal. But, not a big deal to make a Qi wireless charger that will work with the strap there, either.

- The Stopwatch function does not have a Lap function. Again, not a big deal. But, it also seems like it could be useful and would have been easy to include.

- It has been noted elsewhere before, but I agree - it would be kind of nice if the new compass deal that shows around the rim would also show some kind of indication for the reciprocal. It shows a mark for the reciprocal if you change the middle part of the screen to show the compass. Having that in the perimeter compass, too, would be nice.

- It would also be nice if you could set more than one mark on the compass. Even nicer if one could select different colors for them and give them names. My now-gone Seabear allowed for multiple marks and giving them different names. It would be fine to have it where it only displayed one mark at a time. It would just have to give you a menu to select which mark to display at any given time. It would only need to show the name when in the menu to select what mark to display.

- It would be nice if the Shearwater Cloud app allowed me to enter my Contact Info into the app and then have it synced into the Teric. Entering my name via the Teric interface was a bit tedious.

- It would also be nice if the Shearwater app automatically synced the Teric's clock and timezone - or at least gave an option to do that.

- Still no Sidemount mode, so still no meaningful GTR calculation when diving in recreational sidemount.

- Still no GTR if I go into deco. It knows my TTS, so it could calculate my GTR easily, even once I'm in deco. ESPECIALLY easily if I'm diving with only one tank (which could be doubles) and no deco gases. I don't understand why my Oceanic Atom can do this and Shearwater can't/won't.

And... that is really all I have come up with. in other words, it is a dang fine computer and I am really looking forward to diving with it. As soon as my shop can get me another one, I will probably put my Perdix AI up for sale. :) I REALLY do prefer a watch-style computer to a brick.

My cup runneth over. I now have a Teric, a Perdix AI, a Predator EXT, and a rEvo Predator (the latter 2 for diving my CCR). I am looking forward to replacing the Perdix with another Teric, and the Predator EXT with a NERD2 at some point. Call me a fanboy, but Shearwater is The Best!

Why didn't you buy it from your LDS?

I buy things with a "fit" to them (BCD, reg, mask and a few other things) from the LDS. Other stuff, I like the convenience of buying without having to drive. I would add fins to the LDS, but they don't sell Force Fins. I took a chance with eBay for those babies. I would have to go to several different LDS's in order to buy all the other stuff. Online is just too convenient and has much better choices.

- When I put it in the charger, the screen changes to a night stand mode, if you will. But, it only stays on for a few seconds and then the whole display goes black. It would be nice if there was at least an option to have it stay on. I have been using a Motorola smartwatch for a few years and have gotten used to having it on the charger by my bed and having it display the time at all times. When I wake up in the middle of the night, I can glance over and see what time it is. I'm not planning to use the Teric as a daily wear watch. But, if i'm on a dive trip, I would probably rather just bring the Teric and charge it every night and have it do the same thing for me - act as a bedside clock as well as my alarm clock.

I suspect this is to guard against screen burn-in which is a possibility with OLED?

- It has been noted elsewhere before, but I agree - it would be kind of nice if the new compass deal that shows around the rim would also show some kind of indication for the reciprocal. It shows a mark for the reciprocal if you change the middle part of the screen to show the compass. Having that in the perimeter compass, too, would be nice.

Agreed - should be easy enough to add. I suspect we might see that in a firmware update!

I had a substantial credit with DGX. I'm attempting to order a 2nd one through my shop.
If you don't need it immediately, be patient with them. Holy smokes, we ordered a couple, sold 'em, and are like 6 weeks in to a 20-week backorder.

I buy things with a "fit" to them (BCD, reg, mask and a few other things) from the LDS. Other stuff, I like the convenience of buying without having to drive. I would add fins to the LDS, but they don't sell Force Fins. I took a chance with eBay for those babies. I would have to go to several different LDS's in order to buy all the other stuff. Online is just too convenient and has much better choices.

From what I can tell, the Teric is $1095, no matter where you buy it. I could buy it online and save on tax and shipping. But, if I would only save tax and shipping, I would buy it from my LDS, just to support them.

If you don't need it immediately, be patient with them. Holy smokes, we ordered a couple, sold 'em, and are like 6 weeks in to a 20-week backorder.

Yes, I've heard 18 - 26 weeks. 26 weeks is a full 6 months! Crazy! But, yes, I will definitely be patient. No rush when my current backup is a Perdix AI. It works just fine as a backup. :)

I've had a few more thoughts on the Teric. I decided to wear it as a daily wear watch for a day or two to see how it is when used like that. I've been keeping it on Med brightness and with the second hand displayed on the watch face.

- It has been 21.5 hours and the battery is currently at 82%. I'm happy with that.

- I like that I can change the color of the watch face. But, I had to actually read the manual to find WHERE to change it.

- I like that the watch face stays on at all time when I am wearing it, but somehow it knows when I take it off and the screen turns off after some amount of time. I did not wear it to bed last night, so that probably accounts for a lot of why the battery is still so good.

- I think the strap situation could be a lot nicer. The Garmin Descent strap is cool in that the strap has a built-in deal to let you swap it out quickly and with no tools. I haven't heard a lot about it, but I have not heard anyone report that they had one come undone accidentally.

I think the perfect strap setup would be using those quick-release style pins like the Garmin. And then have the 2 parts of the strap connected by a very thin but strong piece of nylon or something in the middle. Thin enough that the Teric would still charge properly in the charging stand without removing the strap. But, strong enough so that if a strap pin broke or popped loose, the strap would still stay on your wrist and prevent you from losing the computer.

With that, it could then ship with a regular strap and a long strap for fitting over a drysuit sleeve. So, instead of putting an extension on, you could just quickly change to a whole different (longer) strap. At which point, maybe even offer more than just 2 lengths of strap. E.g. offer a shorter one for people with very small wrists.

Ideally, it would also come with the same screw-together strap bars that it comes with now, so that you COULD use a NATO strap if you wanted to. But, if the stock strap was designed as described, I probably would just stick with that.

- They should have a strap that is black and red! They have a bunch of colors, but no red. Huh??

- My former Seabear H3 came with a silicone strap. But, it was made where both sides had kind of an accordion-style section. That made it a bit stretchy. So, you could strap it on pretty tight and it would compensate a little bit for wetsuit compression. That seems like a nice feature for a watch-style silicone dive computer strap.

Back
Top Bottom