New Teric and nitpicking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He prefers the watch-style computer over the brick form factor of the Perdix.

Having both the Teric and Perdix AI I too find myself in a similar situation of wanting a second Teric. This would streamline and standardize a whole lot - same interface, same charger, same strap, easily mount both to same arm right next to one another. Probably will sell my Perdix AI once Teric inventory levels stabilize.

It really comes down to a matter of form factor preference. Both the Teric and Perdix are great computers with the same dive capabilities with the exception of the Teric being able to perform double duty by being worn in and out of the water.

I can see the argument for one to be worn in the bar to demonstrate your diveriness but two? Wear two to the bar and they will think you just mugged someone. Ok, it is a bit of a hassle getting an arm with full size computer into a harness, you need to wiggle it for a second, but it is not so hard really. It already makes me wince when I have to squeeze a Petrel past a bailout cylinder to go into my pocket, if that were yet more money and not required to look fashionably used to be cool I’d cry everytme I pulled out a spare SMB.

.... or are you going to tell them about how you got to put your head inside the biggest guns ever to be put on a ship?

... yes, with two Terics on :)

He prefers the watch-style computer over the brick form factor of the Perdix.

Having both the Teric and Perdix AI I too find myself in a similar situation of wanting a second Teric. This would streamline and standardize a whole lot - same interface, same charger, same strap, easily mount both to same arm right next to one another. Probably will sell my Perdix AI once Teric inventory levels stabilize.

Given the Teric lead time is quite decent, perhaps wait a few more months on top for the Zerdix (whatever new box name to replace Perdix) to come out. I can imagine a whole lot of crossover with the Teric and it would be the ultimate non-watch form computer. Having one of each of those would make a lot of sense no? (especially if you could still see those big guns)

... yes, with two Terics on :)

Given the Teric lead time is quite decent, perhaps wait a few more months on top for the Zerdix (whatever new box name to replace Perdix) to come out. I can imagine a whole lot of crossover with the Teric and it would be the ultimate non-watch form computer. Having one of each of those would make a lot of sense no? (especially if you could still see those big guns)
What, a proper technical dive computer with more than two buttons? A workable menu structure? That is worse than compass, AI and a rechargeable battery!

Obviously I am poking fun at Stuart, but I would genuinely like to know what the advantages of a Teric are over a Perdix. A neighbour of mine is considering buying one so I lent him a Perdix and Helo2 to play with. Maybe the menu system puts the Perdix to shame? I don’t know, that is why I am asking.

I have a problem with these expensive computers, this one, the OSTC ones, the Garmin one, even the Eon at the prices they pay in the US. Most people have a limited budget for diving. The difference between a ‘does enough’ computer and the ‘Rolls Royce’ one is the price of a drysuit or a week actually diving. A flash computer is a very marginal benefit, being warm is a huge benefit, being able to dive when it gets cold is a huge benefit.

I am extremely keen to grow new divers. Early kit advice is to buy stuff that fits - mask fins, boots. Then what? Regs? A computer? A suit? If that computer costs as much as the rest put together are we doing them a favour?

So my nitpicking is it costs two or three times as much as the value it brings.

I have a problem with these expensive computers, this one, the OSTC ones, the Garmin one, even the Eon at the prices they pay in the US. Most people have a limited budget for diving. The difference between a ‘does enough’ computer and the ‘Rolls Royce’ one is the price of a drysuit or a week actually diving. A flash computer is a very marginal benefit, being warm is a huge benefit, being able to dive when it gets cold is a huge benefit.
I hear you ... esp when marginal utility starts to dramatically diminish ... and almost by definition with a product that commands a price.
Given so many of us like car analogies, it's Porsche vs. [insert any* other brand].
Someone mentioned vinyl before. Try an LP12. If you're an audiophile, spending 5 digits on cables isn't uncommon.
And the Teric's screen is stunning ...its styling is awesome!

I hear you ... esp when marginal utility starts to dramatically diminish ... and almost by definition with a product that commands a price.
Given so many of us like car analogies, it's Porsche vs. [insert any* other brand].
Someone mentioned vinyl before. Try an LP12. If you're an audiophile, spending 5 digits on cables isn't uncommon.
And the Teric's screen is stunning ...its styling is awesome!

The people paying that for cables are being taken for a ride. Again, spend the money where is makes a difference. The $100 cables where someone has checked the connectors are actually attached will be perfect. Using bell wire, not so clever. Want it to be proper? Stop pissing about and use differential signalling. Really though audiophiles are people who like playing with kit.

Why do you want a Porsche? Part of the point of that is to say “Look at me, I have a Porsche.” That is a dangerous line of course, because plenty of people will think, “What an inadequate ****, needing a Porsche to signal like that.”

I don’t think the Teric fantasy is as absurd as the car or stereo gear one. Porche is trading off the 911 and sports cars of the past to sell big 4x4s, the cables are snake oil. The Teric is a respectable thing of its own. Obviously all the Perdix and Teric trade off the ‘technical’ history of the brand to an extent, but they can actually do the business, which is more than you can say of a VW people carrier with a big engine.

I can see the argument for one to be worn in the bar to demonstrate your diveriness but two? Wear two to the bar and they will think you just mugged someone. Ok, it is a bit of a hassle getting an arm with full size computer into a harness, you need to wiggle it for a second, but it is not so hard really. It already makes me wince when I have to squeeze a Petrel past a bailout cylinder to go into my pocket, if that were yet more money and not required to look fashionably used to be cool I’d cry everytme I pulled out a spare SMB.
Why did you care? It’s his money to spend - not yours. He does not need to justify his choices - lose the attitude!

Have any pics of your setup?

My gear is packed away until our annual turks/caicos trip in about december.

Putting a nato strap on is a piece of cake.
Unscrew the pins on each side of the straps, take off the straps, replace pins, and install the nato strap.

Two Terics $2400 US

A week in Scapa:

$675 flights (Washington to Aberdeen, BA)
$200 ferry (with a cabin), you can save there but they might rob the Terics off your wrists if you sleep in the bar.
$800 week of diving off of Valkyrie or Valhalla.
$150 food is optional
$100 bailout rental
$22 squirt of mix so as to remember seeing guns which were at Jutland.

Say $2k, leaving enough to buy a Helo2 on the way, or quite a serious beer and whisky budget, or paying for excess baggage on your RB.

So, are you going to tell the grandkids about the time the computer told you your Surfacing GF would be 69 when you’d have sworn blind, given a current GF of 42, it would have been 55, or are you going to tell them about how you got to put your head inside the biggest guns ever to be put on a ship?
Did you ever stop to think he may be able to afford to do both with HIS MONEY. We get it - you either can’t afford to buy it or choose not to spend your money this way - your personal choice and irrelevant to the choices each of us make with OUR MONEY! Geez!

Obviously I am poking fun at Stuart, but I would genuinely like to know what the advantages of a Teric are over a Perdix. A neighbour of mine is considering buying one so I lent him a Perdix and Helo2 to play with. Maybe the menu system puts the Perdix to shame? I don’t know, that is why I am asking.

The obvious advantages of the Teric over the Perdix are the display, and for many people, the smaller form factor. Whether these are worth the additional cost is up to the individual. (And both run non-proprietary deco software and will never lock you out!)

Why did you care? It’s his money to spend - not yours. He does not need to justify his choices - lose the attitude!
Perhaps there is a good reason I am not aware of.

Did you ever stop to think he may be able to afford to do both with HIS MONEY. We get it - you either can’t afford to it choose not to spend your money this way - you personal choice and irrelevant to the choices each of us make with OUR MONEY! Geez!

If people’s personal choices and reasons were irrelevant to others then why have forums at all?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom