New Teric and nitpicking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not quite. I was trying to say premium brands command a premium for a reason and as you get up there (spending $) their marginal utility/value diminishes at an increasing rate. Not to say it's not worth it, and nothing about attempting to impress.

The posts after that were interpreted through a different lens.
I was actually referring to Ken Gordon's posts and don't disagree with your statement.

Reactions: Jay
I have both. Can't say there's ever been a situation when I've been unable to see the Perdix perfectly well. The Teric is definitely brighter but I think that we're starting to get anal about this. After many years using an Orca Edge and a Decobrain, it's tough to see people arguing the optical appearance of either of these two.
Who is arguing? We're just exchanging info and the fact is that the Teric screen is better than the Perdix screen (unless you want a bigger display). Whether that is meaningful and worth the cost is a personal value judgement.

Who is arguing? We're just exchanging info and the fact is that the Teric screen is better than the Perdix screen (unless you want a bigger display). Whether that is meaningful and worth the cost is a personal value judgement.
I think he is saying they are equivalent in use. My concern is that it is smaller and for my eyes that will be as issue, brighter and blurry isn’t really better than not so bright and not quite so blurry. The Perdix is not perfect in this regard, for example they could make more use of colour in places, but bigger is better.

And of course Stuart isn’t using the brightest mode as he is eaking out the battery, a bit like the driver of a gas guzzler going more gently than an eco box driver to mitigate the big engine.

The mobile phone doesn't do me any good when I am in the water 500 meters away from shore (after doing a surface swim) and trying to pin point my descent and ascent/exit point. Having mobile phone on the boat and messing with it to record the information on the spot isn't very practical for me. I have the Ratio iX3M computer and it has a builtin GPS that works great. It will be great if a wristwatch version has the GPS feature just like the Garmine appears to have.

I am speaking about my own needs and the type of diving I do.

If you turn on the Location service at the start of your dive day (or even dive trip), there would be no need to mess with it on the boat.

But, if you are doing a surface swim and want to pinpoint the exact spot you submerged, then, yes, you would need to be carrying a GPS with you. Which you could do by having a Ratio iX3M. Or one of those waterproof case or bag things that people use to take their smartphone diving and use it to take pictures or video during the dive. :)

I think he is saying they are equivalent in use. My concern is that it is smaller and for my eyes that will be as issue, brighter and blurry isn’t really better than not so bright and not quite so blurry. The Perdix is not perfect in this regard, for example they could make more use of colour in places, but bigger is better.

And of course Stuart isn’t using the brightest mode as he is eaking out the battery, a bit like the driver of a gas guzzler going more gently than an eco box driver to mitigate the big engine.

I'm using it on Med, so far, because I've only had it in the pool. Like a Corvette driver who spends most of the time sitting traffic crawling to work, the point is that when I need the extra power, it will be there. :)

Finally, if I have ever posted something that suggested that every diver should just buy a Teric, I most certainly didn't mean it that way. No, the Teric and its price tag are definitely NOT for every diver.

But, it's only $160 more, compared to the Perdix AI. To ME, it's totally worth the extra money, and the price difference doesn't really seem that great, when you're looking at a Perdix AI that is already $935.

However, I DO think that the Teric makes sense for a lot more divers than some other people do. In particular, if a diver has already decided that they want a wrist computer and they want AI, then the Teric makes a LOT of sense. Compared to the other options that are available that meet those 2 criteria, the Teric is not THAT much more money.

Anyone who buys an Oceanic OCi or Aqualung 770 or ScubaPro G2 or any Suunto with AI should, in my opinion, take a good look at the Teric before they plunk down their cash. Value is different for everyone, but TO ME, the Teric is WELL worth the extra money over any of those other options.

But, if someone doesn't care about AI, and they don't have any need for the kind of screen readability that the Teric offers, then there are several computers less than $300 that probably make a lot more sense. An Oceanic Geo 2 or even a Mares Puck Pro will do what the vast majority of divers actually need. Paying any more than what those cost is simply about "wants", not "needs". But, there a whole lot of people who buy Honda Accords, even though a Civic is all they "need".

The Teric is a higher resolution screen than the Perdix, so text is actually sharper. You'd be surprised as to how readable the smaller Teric screen is next to a Perdix, especially in BIG mode - but do check it out yourself as my eyes are still quite good at close range!

i-5FF8LQX-M.jpg

Also color on the Teric is pretty customizable - below are the different selectable themes you can choose and you can also do your own custom color schemes. In addition, the ascent indicator is color coded whcih is nice as well. All-in-all, there is a better use of color (and customizable color) on the Teric verus the Perdix. Whether that is meaningful is up the individual user!

Standard:
i-4wjXLCF-M.jpg

Sunlight:
i-9VFSvx9-M.jpg

Predator:
i-JrrWKPJ-M.jpg

Night:
i-ng7hvx3-M.jpg

From my initial look, I can confirm that the Teric is good in the bright summer sunlight of Dubai (on high)

The Perdix has a poor (or narrow) readability angle

I don’t mean themes. My particular one was the 15s timer being an underline rather than colour. The ascent rate is much better, the colour passes the information. On a mono computer (like my Helo2) the ascent rate is much harder to use.

From my initial look, I can confirm that the Teric is good in the bright summer sunlight of Dubai (on high)

The Perdix has a poor (or narrow) readability angle
As good as an Eon?

Tbh I only care in the water. What depth am I at, what my run time is it, where is my next stop? What is my TTS, what is my ascent rate?

It is nice to be able to read the temperature, cns and stuff though. You need something to while away the time on stops.

As good as an Eon?
Yes comparable to my Eon in brightness. Can't attest to it's angle or readability underwater though.

I've been caught our a number of times, thinking my computer isn't' on as I gear up, and then realising I have my sunglasses on. I've even tried to put a mask over my sunnies (didn't work) Since we wear Sun glasses all the time we don't notice them.

SW's customer service and interaction is so above any of their competitors that a reasonable degree of premium paid (if any) is easily justified.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom