New to board. Info about Bonaire Dive operators? Tropical Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

isaias

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just joined this board. Great info so far. Been reading posts for quite some time now and decided to join.

Wanting to ask about dive operators on Bonaire for a possible future trip. Any reccomendations? I have just gotten certified within the last year. Would like to have a professional dive instructor accompany me on the dives from shore.

Came accross Tropical Divers. Any info on them?

Thanks.

I am no PRO but I will surly go...! If you pay for my trip I will dive with you for free, as much as you want and any time that you like...!!! :D

I would say, get some experience, find a bud (or me) find a place to stay or stay at Buddy's and get a weeks worth of diving with them... Grab your tanks and have a blast...! I would recommend no boat dives unless you really wanted to but not necessary, hit the south side from one end to the other and if you feel really comfortable with your diving, head up the the north side. I understand the north side has some really great diving but I believe its only by boat...

Sorry but I have no info on TD...

lee

PS It would help some to know your age, location, and experience... Age because if your 16 or such I would have other recommendations, location because gaining experience in Minnesota over the winter would be difficult at best... Experience, 0 dives 5 dives 20 dives makes a big difference... JMHO...

Welcome to the board.
Having a guide on Bonaire is not done that often, the diving just does not call for one. I would think you could hire one but the cost would be pretty high by the end of the week. Your best option is to get with a group (dive shop trip) and go with them. Usually there is an instructor or DM along who would buddy with you.....or you take me, I have serveral hundred dives on Bonaire and am a DM. :) All kidding aside, the dives are easy and simple, theres no need for anyone other than a good buddy.
As for Tropical Divers, I don't know anything about them but so far I have not heard anything bad which is a good sign. I can recommend Buddy Dive and Wannadivebonaire. Both I have dove with many times and can highly recommend them both. That said, the easiest and usually the best option is to simply use the dive op that the resort you are staying at uses. It makes thing easier.

isais, one of the beauties of Bonaire is the range of diving and for a new diver it's perfect. So much so that I intend to take my three kids as soon as they're certified. The South end of the Island offers what I would consider excellent dives in less than 30 feet of water. Small oasis' of coral on large flat expanses of sand before reaching the drop-off. Each one seems to be a self contained eco-system. Some even have a resident eel. As your comfort level increases you can adjust your daily dive plan to fit instead of going with the consensus of group diving on a boat.
You'll love it.

Isais,

No worries. I took my kids when they were newly certified (12 & 14 yo girls) and dove all over north and south, and many times since. In fact, Witches Hut (north before the road turns one-way) became our "warm-up" dive.

Most sites on Bon, swim out perpendicular to shore, get a marker (something unique - sponge, coral head, etc.) at, say, 30 ft - most times there is a buoy that the dive boats use to tie up. Turn into the current, if any, and descend to desired depth. The shape of the drop-off makes it easy to choose your depth, starting at about 30 ft down to 100+.

Enjoy the dive. When you hit turn-around (time or pressure) head back. Find your marker at 30 ft and swim in. It's really easy - just ascend to your marked depth and follow the reef back. Putz around in the shallows on the way in and see the really cool stuff there.

Most times I will have one of my girls take a compass heading on the bouy, lead us out on the compass, find the marker, then leads us back to the marker and in on the reverse compass heading. It's good practice for them.

We've never bothered with boat dives, except to go to Klein. With a few exceptions (Klein, Rappell, La Dania's, east side, and the way-north park) the boats dive the same sites as the shore divers, so why subject ourselves to the schedules, etc?

Go and have fun. Bonaire diving is great, and it is great for allowing less-experienced divers to build confidence and enjoy some really good and easy diving while doing it.

Thanks for the info! So, I can go along with a group of divers from a dive shop to do shore dives, rather than hiring a personal instuctor to go with me? That doesn't sound bad.

I have only 5 dives from one trip so far after being certified. I don't get to dive too often so I'm afraid to get rusty and out of practice.

On tripadvisor VIP divers and Tropical divers are #1 and #2 so just wanted some insights into their operations.

Thanks for the info! So, I can go along with a group of divers from a dive shop to do shore dives, rather than hiring a personal instuctor to go with me? That doesn't sound bad.

You can always check this site for groups that are going or check with dive shops... The dive shops you check with do not need to be in your same location e.g. if your in Utah, check with shops in FL or NC, anywhere that may be going and has a slot available for you. You just need to be honest and let them know about your skill set and you expectations...!

Here is an example what you can find in this forum... http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/abc-islands/358376-diving-trip-buddy-dive-03-25-04-02-have-opening-6th-person-our-group.html
lee

Last edited:
isaias: My sage advice, since you are a relative newbie is to start out by doing boat dives. That way you do have an experienced guide with you at all times. Yes, you can do shore dives later on but I would caution you to have an experienced diver with you. You can always do shore diving as your experience level increases. Because everyone here says you can do shore dives doesn't mean that you should. Go slow!

Regarding the dive ops on Bonaire, I've dove with quite a few and honestly all I've been with have been competent.
The reason being there's a lot of competition on the island. Someone who wasn't good/competent wouldn't be around very long. Enjoy your trip!

Bas and VIP Divers always gets rave reviews on Scubaboard.

My dive buddy and I went to Bonaire in 2007 with 16 dives after our certification and we had no issues with shore diving. Sometimes the exit is not very pretty, it is ok to crawl out on your hands and knees.

We love shore diving. Bonaire next week!!!!

A second plug for Bas Noij at VIP Divers. He is very good, we were there last Nov. and hired Bas for two tanks one day, one of which was the drift from La Dania's to Karpata, the other was Something Special. Wanted to see if he could show us things we were missing. Also did the ultra violet night dive, very interesting and an east coast shore dive. All of it was worth the money.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom