New to Boston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeepman3sk:
Awsome thanks everyone. I'm looking at buying a few tanks when I get to Boston AL 80s. I haven't decided if I want to spend the money on new tanks or ge a few used ones. I just picked up my new Halcyon BCD which I loved when I tested it. Also is there a place to pick up some cheap lead? I can't wait to get diving. I hope to go diving on May 20th somewhere. My dive buddy from lastyear should be coming with me if anyone is interested let me know.

Better idea...buy steel

I don't have a double set up yet just my little single set up. When I get to the double set up I'll get the steel but untill then I think I'll stick with AL.

Even with single tanks, steel usually means you'll be able to carry less lead. Whatever makes you happy though.
Send me a pm if you want some lead cheap. I've got some extra.

Oh, I don't mean to hijack this thread..but, if any of you guy's are interested in buying some steel tanks...my hubby is selling 2 i believe 100's. if anyone is interested in them let me know and I'll find out for sure what they are and the price.

Scuba65:
Oh, I don't mean to hijack this thread..but, if any of you guy's are interested in buying some steel tanks...my hubby is selling 2 i believe 100's. if anyone is interested in them let me know and I'll find out for sure what they are and the price.

PM'd.

Dave C

I have never dived with steel yet. Does it make that much of a difference? Also are they move expensive then AL?

Yes, you get to use less weight around your waist, and yes, they are more expensive.

Jeepman3sk:
I have never dived with steel yet. Does it make that much of a difference? Also are they move expensive then AL?
They make a huge difference (or at least they can... depending on the size). They're somewhat more expensive, but they also typically last much longer.

Jeepman3sk:

Yes and yes. But, take my advice...buy steel and be happy. I am. AL is good, but AA is better for NE diving. If you're still not convinced, find a steel tank owner and borrow a tank for a dive or two and see how you like it.

LobstaMan

Are HP or LP steel tanks more popular? The only issue I can see right now is the price. I am a college student and was just able to afford my gear. But I have looked at the price of renting tanks every weekend verus buying them and it will be more cost efficient to buy AL tanks atleast. PG does free fills for 2 tanks which is great. I have never heard of anyone doing this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom