New to Cave Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just getting into cave diving and would like to know preferred equipment. Looking at the Dive Rite TransPak or TransPlate. Thanks for feed back.

Hi OpticDive,

May I suggest you check out our Solution Finder, under the question 'Should I choose a TransPac or a Transplate harness?' It might help you make a more informed decision about which harness will suits your needs better.
SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Solution Finder

If you have any questions don't hesitate to contact us.

Best,
Ag

I was looking at the website when I got my Transpac and it looks like you can easily convert it to side mount with a butt plate and the nomad wing for cave diving then just swap it back to a normal config for everything else. I got it because it looked like it could do anything.

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking of going to the TransPak/Plate and wings now only because I am looking at a new BC anyway and those could be used for eith OW or cave. Is that correct. I have used a BP/W setup befor and that seems to be alot more comfortable.

I dive both a Transpac and an aluminum back plate in doubles and both work equally well. I use a Transpac for teaching open water as well.

If you're looking for an all around BC that will work for singles, doubles, stage bottles and even side mount, I suggest the Transpac with a rec wing (51 lbs of lift). I've dove steel 121's with an aluminum 80 stage and an aluminum 40 O2 deco bottle with that setup and it works fine for me.

One comment above suggested not wasting money on a harness with quick release buckles. hummm. One of the things I miss in my back plate, which doesn't have the deluxe harness with quick disconnects, is the ease of getting out of the rig at the tank stands or picknic tables. It's always a struggle to get my dry suit dump valve past that pesky shoulder strap! I use the quick releases on the Transpac every time to avoid that problem.

Bruce

Last edited:
Transpac Is a very flexible piece of gear.

Dear OpticDive,

I spent my first 75 Cavern, Intro, and Full Cave dives in a TransPak. For me the happiest day of my cave diving life was the day my instructor insisted I try a back plate and wings. I found it much more stable. I think it depands somewhat on your body type. If I had it to do over I would start with the backplate and wings no question. My frault was I was trying to "master" the stability problem in a Transpack, which on my body was not stable meaning pitch, yaw and roll. I almost drown laughing on the first dive with the backplate, because and it was so stable and I fought the suggestion to try it for so long. I am Norwegian ! For what it is worth I never went back to the Transpack.

I've been cave diving 5 years and have 175 cave dives.

Good luck with your cave dive instruction.

Put the caves of Akumal in Mexico on your "to do" list. See you tube "cave dive "Nohoch Na Chich", "Gran Cenote", "Calimba" . They are well worth the training to be able to experience them in the flesh.

All the best.

I have seen several people say the TransPac is not as stable as a backplate. This is incorrect. I have dove both extensively with cylinders ranging from single 72s, double 45s, up to double 112s with no issues. If adjusted properly the TransPac is every bit as stable and lower profile. If you are having stability issues get with Dive Riteand they will help you straighten it out.

As for the quick release buckle failure point; can anyone name an incident where the buckle failed and caused harness issues in the water??

Jerry

I have seen several people say the TransPac is not as stable as a backplate. This is incorrect. I have dove both extensively with cylinders ranging from single 72s, double 45s, up to double 112s with no issues. If adjusted properly the TransPac is every bit as stable and lower profile. If you are having stability issues get with Dive Riteand they will help you straighten it out.

I think this varies by individual. I've done quite a bit of diving in a TransPac and never found it quite as stable as a backplate.

As for the quick release buckle failure point; can anyone name an incident where the buckle failed and caused harness issues in the water??

Jerry

Yes, I personally know someone who had a buckle fail on a cave dive. Was somewhat of a funny story, after the fact. : )

In the event that a buckle does fail, which is on a rare occasion... Its not a fatal problem. I personally enjoy having the extra release buckles. Makes getting in and out easier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom