New to diving, and new to diving buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JCA1979

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone, im new to diving, and what dives I have been on have been in a small group or with an instructor. I want to dive a local quarry that is dedicated for divers. complete with dive shop, however, my dive buddies have just as much experience as I do. (less than 15 dives) we would plan the dive for a specific depth, probably 30 feet or less to look at the bass swimming. Focussing on diving correctly and safely is our goal. what are you thoughts on this?

Sounds like a plan...go get wet! Your certification is a license to learn now...

Last edited:
Yeah, good plan. I usually advise seeking an experienced buddy, but 30 feet IMO is glorified snorkeling and is my usual depth diving solo. I don't recommend solo diving to anyone, especially a new diver. I know accidents can happen at that depth, especially considering the greater pressure change as you approach the surface. Just remember the big no breath holding rule. I often practise a CESA from 30' just to make sure I can still do it--something else I don't recommend for others, as some will say it can cause safety concerns. Enjoy!

By all means, do just what you have planned. The more you do that, the more relaxed and comfortable you'll be and the better you'll do. Even now, when my wife and I quarry dive, a will stay at around 30-35 feet but occasionally go deeper if it isn't too cold below the thermocline.

I agree with everyone else. That's a good plan. The only suggestion I have for an addition is to assign actual buddy teams. Don't dive as a group.

Your OW card is often mischaracterized as a "license to learn" by some people. It is actually supposed to be proof that you did learn and are capable of planning a dive with a buddy of equal training and experience, executing that dive, and returning safely from it. It also means that any normal issues that come up are within your knowledge, skills, and abilities to handle. If you have any reservations about any of this, you and your buddies need to get your money back or demand that you get the training you paid for.

I agree with everyone else. That's a good plan. The only suggestion I have for an addition is to assign actual buddy teams. Don't dive as a group.
Absolutely.

Your OW card is often mischaracterized as a "license to learn" by some people. It is actually supposed to be proof that you did learn and are capable of planning a dive with a buddy of equal training and experience, executing that dive, and returning safely from it. It also means that any normal issues that come up are within your knowledge, skills, and abilities to handle. If you have any reservations about any of this, you and your buddies need to get your money back or demand that you get the training you paid for.
Lol? So in four days when one obtains their OW they learned all they need....ummm, ok.

Anyone who said they had it all down pat after just completing their OW is likely overconfident. At most that OW card says you took the course and lived to tell the tale.

That being said, you may train to a completely different standard than most other dive shops and thus expect the same from others. I respect the higher standard.

Even among pilots and engineers in my field, saying that your initial certification is "a license to learn" is a sign of perspective and maturity.

I believe the same to be true of diving.

Hi everyone, im new to diving, and what dives I have been on have been in a small group or with an instructor. I want to dive a local quarry that is dedicated for divers. complete with dive shop, however, my dive buddies have just as much experience as I do. (less than 15 dives) we would plan the dive for a specific depth, probably 30 feet or less to look at the bass swimming. Focussing on diving correctly and safely is our goal. what are you thoughts on this?

Welcome to the sport!! As one of the other posts here said, just go diving!!! :wink: In all seriousness, the best way to learn and become more comfortable in the water is through experience. I think of the OW card like a learner's permit.... it allows you to get in the water and gain more experience. Stay close to your buddy, keep an eye on your gauges (depth/air), and most importantly..... HAVE FUN.

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom