New to diving and not sure if I should get a b2 yoke?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LGHT

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I recall in the books saying you can have a yoke or din connection in your reg and although DIN is more common they said it's just a matter of preference?

However my instructor firmly suggested a DIN connection over a Yoke one.

I have a buddy that has a only used twice B2 regulator (freaked out on the 2nd dive) but he said it's a yoke and not a DIN.

Is it still worth it to buy it for $200 or should I pass and just wait for a DIN one. I don't have any other gear yet so not sure if that matters or if I have to buy my gear to fit the Yoke connection.

What tanks do you use?
If they're rentals and not in Europe yoke is the way to go.

DIN is arguably the better way if you are buying your own tanks.
Any modern reg can be converted from DIN to Yoke and back.

Sounds like a good deal from your buddy......get it.

Your instructor is giving you good advice.....You can buy yoke-to-din conversion kits for reg's and an adapter that allows din to be used on yoke tanks.....Don't know how your budget is but w/that set up you can dive w/yoke or din tanks...Just make sure the din is 300 bar....300 bar dins fit both 300 and 232[also known as 200] bar valves but 232 bar only fits 232.....Talk to your instructor or access previous posts/threads here on SB about it...It may seem a little confusing at first but it's not.....Then compare prices on the internet, there's a wide range of prices for both the conversion kits and adapters, especially the adapters.......It'll answer your 'Q' about whether to buy and convert or wait for a din reg......

Yoke is way more common than DIN, way way more, beyond 10 to 1.

You should choose yoke or din based on the tank you are using. Rental out there is 95% yoke, at least in CA and in SE Asia. So you will never have problem renting a Yoke tank. So unless you have DIN tanks, you should just get Yoke 1st stage. Is DIN better than Yoke? I dont think so for recreation dive, and definitely NOT if you have to use an adaptor. DIN to Yoke adaptor works, but it move the first stage close to you head, and it could cause discomfort. And if you will be using the adaptor most of the time, why not just get it Yoke and be done with it.

By the time you decide to get into technical/cave/wreck diving, where DIN's benefits start to show, you can always replace your yoke first stage with din. With the amount of money you have to put into the gears, training, air fill for tech diving, replacing one 1st stage will be the least of your problem.

Most importantly, $200 for B2 is a good deal if it is in good condition. I would just get it.

Ok I will get it. I already looked at it and I couldn't tell it was used at all. I don't have any other gear and not sure if I should even buy a tank or not.

Since I will probably rent tanks for now I guess Yoke is the way to go. If I do decide to buy should I just buy a yoke tank to match my reg or should I buy the din tank and the adaptor? Kinda on a budget so if I can go without buying the adaptor I would prefer to do that.

Ok I will get it. I already looked at it and I couldn't tell it was used at all. I don't have any other gear and not sure if I should even buy a tank or not.

Since I will probably rent tanks for now I guess Yoke is the way to go. If I do decide to buy should I just buy a yoke tank to match my reg or should I buy the din tank and the adapter? Kinda on a budget so if I can go without buying the adapter I would prefer to do that.

This side of the pond most tanks have an dual DIN/yoke valve. Inside the yoke valve a little insert is screwed it. Unscrewing and removing the insert turns the Yoke tank valve into a DIN tank valve. My regs are DIN, but I made sure that my tank vales were convertible, so that if I ever have to lend a tank to a buddy or somebody with a yoke reg then there is no problem.

I'm sure that this system exists in the US, no?

Jon

This side of the pond most tanks have an dual DIN/yoke valve. Inside the yoke valve a little insert is screwed it. Unscrewing and removing the insert turns the Yoke tank valve into a DIN tank valve. My regs are DIN, but I made sure that my tank vales were convertible, so that if I ever have to lend a tank to a buddy or somebody with a yoke reg then there is no problem.

I'm sure that this system exists in the US, no?

Jon

Same system over here. If you buy a older used tank you might not get a convertable valve, but replacing a valve later is no big deal if it's necessary.

Bob
--------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom