New to diving. What to buy first?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok you are getting a lot of good opinions. IMHO If funds are limited to buying one piece at a time I personally would go on a Dive trip somewhere! Go to Cozumel or Bonaire or somewhere with your LDS get out and dive a little with some good rental gear. Isn't that why you got certified?

After that.
My order is:
1. Reg setup
2. BCD
3. Nitrox compatible computer

this to me is like rock, paper, siccors. because either way i look at it one piece of equipment is more important than the other and it just goes like that. i mean you need a reg, but if you dont have a bcd who wants to swim and have to carry a tank? you need a bcd, but whats the point if you dont have anything to breathe from the tank its carrying. and same goes for the computer, no ones going to want to go without because you wont know how far you are, how long youve been there etc you can guess but i would not recommend it. your not going to be able to go scuba diving without each piece, so why not just save up and order a package deal from you LDS. see if they will give you some kind of package and you can end up saving some money while you get everything. just a suggestion :)

I like that. "most crucial piece of equipment."

I get flamed when I say that a regulator "is the diver's life support".

Well some people dont see eye to eye with people like us. It is a step down from what people are willing to describe as traditional life support but it is in fact life sustaining. With out the air underwater well people quickly learn how vital this gear is. Others who macho up and think they know everything and are a self made genius will only accept their personal beleifs.

I agree with you though so dont think everyone flames you.

It's only life support if you start the dive with one(or more) If not then your Free diving or Swiming. LOL :dork2::dork2:

Ok you are getting a lot of good opinions. IMHO If funds are limited to buying one piece at a time I personally would go on a Dive trip somewhere! Go to Cozumel or Bonaire or somewhere with your LDS get out and dive a little with some good rental gear. Isn't that why you got certified?

After that.
My order is:
1. Reg setup
2. BCD
3. Nitrox compatible computer

I would do that, except i am 15, so I am going to used money I made over the summer to buy equipment.

I few weeks ago, I tried an Aqualung Titan that I liked and it was adjustable, so that me be considered.

Two thoughts on this. First, I am surprised no one has said to buy nothing and save your money. Why? Because even if you buy from the LDS you might find they will typically cut you a good deal on a BC, reg, computer/console package. If you buy things seperately as you have the money you may end up spending $300-500 more in the long run.

Second, the thing that concerns me about buying just a reg and expecting to hook it up to any old rental gear is the fact that BC inflators and octopus setups can vary quite considerably. I've seen brands use different size connectors for their BC inflator valves, different length hoses, you also might find BCs in rental sets with AIR2 inflators instead of Octos or you may find that you would want an AIR2 instead of an octo or whatever. IMO the BC and reg are two pieces that are kind of married and should, for the most part, always stay together in their configuration. Further, does buying a reg include buying a console? Or are you going to try and rent one of those whevever you go? A first and second stage will run you pretty close to $500 alone, a console without a computer may come close to about $200 more if you buy from a LDS so you are pretty much over your budget there. And not having a console and trying to rent one seperately and convincing a dive operation to just thread one into your first stage for the day is going to be at the very least an awkward discussion.

But if you really had to buy something I would go with a good wrist mounted computer as computers can be used independently from the rest of your gear and can be used with any rental gear setup you might end up with.

I might get flamed for this as well, but I am surprised there have not been many folks recommending that you look for used gear. I live in Colorado right now, and have been pleasantly surprised with the deals available for used gear around here.

I obtained an oceanic reg set a few weeks ago and had it serviced. It works great for a total investment of about a hundred bucks... Picked up an aqualung reg set with an integrated computer and a non weight integrated aqualung bc for 60 bucks last week(probably wont be using the bc much, but it appears to be serviceable). Popped in a new battery and the computer fired up... Dropped it off at the LDS for a checkup right after that. I have recently acquired 2 tanks for a grand total of $50 acquisition cost. One is in my garage hydro tested, VIP'd, filled and ready to go, and the other is getting tested and inspected now. Since no one around here seems to deal much with BP/W setups, I finally ordered one from caveadventures.com the other day.

Kudos to you for wanting to support your LDS. I have been getting most of my gear elsewhere lately, but the LDS has still been getting my money for training and maintenance on my gear. If I had walked in there to buy a full kit of gear at their prices, I would not have been spending the money with them to take the rescue class anytime soon. Everyone's budget is different, but for me, saving some cash on good used gear is going to get me in the water and allow me to gain some more experience and education as a diver.

You certainly have to be careful what you spend your hard earned cash for, be it new or used. You also have to make sure you are not trusting your life to substandard gear. I feel that if you do your homework and look around a bit, great deals can be found. That $500 you are looking to drop at your LDS for one piece of gear could easily propel you a great distance towards having a complete set of gear. Run a search on your local craigslist for "SCUBA" if you have not done so lately. You might find a few decent deals... (just make sure to use common sense when you go and meet the guy to pick the stuff up)

I really have three thoughts on your thread...

Two thoughts on this. First, I am surprised no one has said to buy nothing and save your money. Why? Because even if you buy from the LDS you might find they will typically cut you a good deal on a BC, reg, computer/console package. If you buy things seperately as you have the money you may end up spending $300-500 more in the long run.

Second, the thing that concerns me about buying just a reg and expecting to hook it up to any old rental gear is the fact that BC inflators and octopus setups can vary quite considerably.
Both of these are true statements but my LDS did not carry the BCD or several other items that I wanted. I did purchase the regs, computer, and a few tanks along with training from them... Regarding the regs, its true that all inflators are NOT the same... but you can rent the regs until you figure out with BCD you prefer... With one practice dive in the springs, me and the wife both knew we were not going to be diving with the jacket style bcd...

IMO:

Reg first. Nice to know the history of that one piece of gear. Choosing a reg is non subjective. Like Sax said, lot's of good used deals out there for top quality regs. You might inquire of your LDS as to when they sell off their rental stock.

Then exposure protection. Stuff that fits.

Take a long time selecting a BC. The most "personal" big ticket piece of gear. Try as many as you can. Rent, borrow, steal etc.

If budget is an issue, computer is the last piece of gear you need to purchase. You have a pretty good one on top of your shoulders.

I would agree with this post by Tim...

I good set of regs would be first (SPG analog or computer optional as for money constraints)

Your buoyancy device (be it jacket or bp/w) is more of a personal preference. I would also recommend renting, me and the wife did it this way and she ended up with a transpac and I ended up with a transplate... I am really glad we did rent otherwise we would have ended up with a Ranger... Not that that's a bad choice mind you, I am just very pleased with my choice and I would have never known without renting...!

The owner of my LDS does all of the service and really knows what hes talking about. Hes a PADI Course director, former Navy Seal, etc., so i wouldnt mind asking him about the stuff. I was leaning toward a BC but i was told that I may need a computer for my Rescue course.

Thanks for the response!

You have less than 25 dives and already have your advance... I was in a hurry to get my advance as well cause of the limitations on the OW at times. Your already talking about your Rescue course... If your in the same hurry to pass this course, I think you aught to slow down just a bit and learn to dive properly... Fast Tracking is not always the best or safest way to go in this sport IMO... If your just planning ahead then I would agree the computer is a good way to go but giving your financial restraints, you may want to do this in baby steps... Its hard to afford the best of everything all up front... Like I said eariler, If an analog SPG gets you in the water now then go analog and look to upgrade when you can afford to... You don't have to do it all at once...

Regards, welcome and hope you enjoy it as much a I do...

Greetings Jon1 and you have gotten some awesome replies to your thread.
I agree with most of them and love to see the latter additions to provide you with the most viable options.

This is just one more thought so here we go.
You have already expressed the desire to buy local and from the description of what the shop carries I would assume that they move a fair amount of gear.
I have been involved with enough LDS's to know that there is always great used or fresh trade ins available at a much more affordable price.
I would opt for purchasing ALL your gear at once whether used or new it does not matter. You will not regret it as it will allow you to dive more often with less hassle.

I was in your same shoes just three years ago and my wife and I both chose to become divers. It was a considerable investment that at the moment seemed huge but in hind sight was really reasonable.
If you are determined to have your own gear and to dive often FIND THE MONEY!
Take an extra job, bum cash from a family member, sell your motorcycle, trade or sell old hobby items, etc.
I have found lots of $$$$ by recycling hobbies but if it is not there do what it take to get there.
I have learned that volunteering for the LDS or becoming a DM can help take the sting out of gear purchases. it also gets you in the water and diving around many people. This is not for everyone but if it works for you then go for it.

My experience is for the first dive rig bite the bullet and find the cash to by the whole kit. Work out a deal with your LDS and get diving! WHAT EVER IT TAKES.

CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

Others have said it, but let me repeat... buy used gear. Especially at 15 years old, used gear is where you want to be looking. Likely as not you haven't finished growing. Buying a BC new is just throwing money away since it's possible you're going to outgrow it in a year.

I really like all the hobbies I do but most of them are fairly money intensive, at least at the start. As a result, I bought used gear for my diving. I only spent $350 and got a scubapro reg, oceanic octopus, a console including compass, spg, and oceanic computer that does nitrox, and a BC. So for less than the price of some 1st and 2nd stage sets (not including octopus) I got an entire rig. I spent another $130 (a little on the higher side---one of the downfalls of Scubapro, I hear) getting the reg serviced because it had been a couple of years.

Look here on the Scubaboard classifieds. Look on Craigslist and, as a last result, eBay. Do some research on brands you want and, if you can, specific models you're interested in and even post your own "wanted" ads here and on Craigslist. Whenever possible, put your hands on the gear before you buy it. Read up on specifics of what to look for on individual gear. Try it out underwater , if you can, before buying.

After all that, I'd personally (and with very limited experience) buy a BC or reg first. BCs can be very personal items and being familiar with yours will help you be a better diver. That said, for the most part rental BCs are going to be basically the same in most places you go. Regs are your life support and I personally think they should be the one piece of gear you really own if you only buy one. The issue of mis-matched hose connectors will be rare, though hose length will definitely vary and occasionally be a nuisance. I'd buy a computer last because you probably have a dive planner and you can use an SPG, depth gauge and a watch to perform all the necessary functions of a dive computer without all the bells and whistles.

You are getting a good supply of suggestions here. My son and I both purchased used regs as our first purchases (from a LDS) and we are still using them hundreds of dives later. Regs can last forever, if they are maintained, so if you find a used one you like at a good price, there is nothing wrong with going for it. It would be nice if you had a local mentor to help you check used equipment out before you made the purchases. I would hate the thought of someone ripping off a kid who works hard for his gear money.

Oh yes, check out the gear classifieds on this board too. Most of the people selling have a user rating.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom