New to diving. What to buy first?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I say BCD first and oceanic makes great stuff. Why BCD first?

I totally agree. Regulators are pretty much one size fits all. They all function basically the same. A diver can easily transition from a Mares to a Sherwood to whatever and probably will not be able to tell a difference. If you were to take 6 different BCs from 6 different manufacturers none may function the same way with regards to location of dump valves, inflator mechanism, integrated weight releases, etc. Also sizing can vary. When given the choice of purchasing either regs or a BC, I always advise my students to first get a good, comfortable BC that fits them and their needs well.

North Central Alabama huh? How are things that way. I used to live in Pell City and loved the state of Alabama and sure miss it these days.

Anyway keep up the good work teaching diving

IMO:

Reg first. Nice to know the history of that one piece of gear. Choosing a reg is non subjective. Like Sax said, lot's of good used deals out there for top quality regs. You might inquire of your LDS as to when they sell off their rental stock.

Then exposure protection. Stuff that fits.

Take a long time selecting a BC. The most "personal" big ticket piece of gear. Try as many as you can. Rent, borrow, steal etc.

If budget is an issue, computer is the last piece of gear you need to purchase. You have a pretty good one on top of your shoulders.

Agree, bcd then comp (as you can get a cheap digital bottom timer which serves as a backup later).

If you looked about a bit you can really get some great gear at great prices.

1. Zeagle express tech $250 or less
2. Hog D1 reg and octo about $350
HOG D1 1st stage with 2nd stage regulator [HOGregset] - $244.98 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!
3. You could get a really good uwatec 2g or tec 2g comp for about $325 give or take.

SangP

It's imposible to answer these questions catagorically, without a detailed understanding of the OPs circumstances, location and diving goals.

Loyalty to your LDS is to be applauded and encouraged. However, don't rule out the huge second-hand scuba market on craigslist and ebay. With diligence and patience, it could be possible to get all 3 items (BCD, Regs and Computer) for $500.

Here's my list:

1) Computer. Often unavailable, or overly expensive, to rent. Lightweight and easy to take away on holiday. Aids safety and encourages independance from the 'sheep' mentality of following a divemaster or more experienced buddy. Develops understanding of time/depth and nitrogen absorbtion. Helps in the event of emergency decompression situations. SUBSTANTIALLY LONGER DIVE TIMES! No later requirement to buy a depth gauge for your regulator set.

2) Regulator. Safety and security of having your own (well maintained) regulators. Own purchases are likely (hopefully) to be of better specification than average rental regulators. Can customize mouthpieces for better comfort.

3) BCD. Rentals can sometimes be threadbare, uncomfortable and/or a poor fit. Having your own BCD ensures comfort and quality of the BCD. Own purchases are likely (hopefully) to be of better specification and condition than most rental BCDs. Definitely consider a Backplate & Wing (BP&W) design BCD. There are many threads here dealing with jacket vs BP&W bcds.

4) Wet/Drysuit. Little point investing in a wet/drysuit that will not be practical in different environments, if you are travelling around to dive. Wetsuit rental is cheap in holiday destinations. The heaviest and bulkiest item to travel with.

Just for your interest, there is another simular currently active thread (BCD, Regulator, or Computer?) that may also aid you.

Just a reminder to all and especially the op. You need to have a time tracking and a depth tracking device with you when you dive. In my opinion, those need to to be the first items to purchase after basic gear.

A computer is those two plus more in one device. And it is on your wrist, which happens to be the correct place for this essential information. So, a comp first unless you have a timer and a depth gauge.

Regs next, because you might need to try few different bc:s before knowing what suits you best. And when you do know that, you're going to get a backplate/wing setup which is something you probably would not be buying at this time.

And, regs are pretty much the same anyways, so you can't really go wrong with any of them - just stay clear of the bulky consoles. An analog spg is all that is needed, the rest of the info is on your wrist(s) which is the right place for it. One thing to remember, though, is the DIN/YOKE thing.

It sucks buying something that after a year you realise needs to be changed. Regs are regs, no hassle there. A nitrox comp will last you a long time. But bc:s might be a different story.

And go for second hand if you can, you can save a lot of money that way. Your LDS wont mind, i bet they're happy to take you diving with the money you just saved.

I've owned 6 BCDs in the last 15 years. The first 5 of them were bought, and soon sold, during a 7 year period. Such a waste of money!

As a newbie, there is little chance you can predict how your diving, and subsequent preferences, will develop over the coming years. I always recommend getting a BP&W configuration, because it is modular and it can be adapted and inter-changed to suit any future requirements.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom