New to diving, would this be a knife I could use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you probably don't want anything that long. Does 1095 carbon steel rust?

If you want to use that knife, knock yourself out. I'm not sure, but I think carbon steel will rust but so will a cheap stainless dive knife. I personally have a knife that I bought from Overtons that was almoast half the price of this combat knife. It rusts but cleans off easily and comes with a sheath that is easyer to strap to dive gear or limbs. Also ( this hasnt happened to me yet but) Many of my buddies have lost some very expensive titainium dive knives so when you buy a knife think about what you need as opposed to what you want or what is neat and how upset you want to be when or if you loose it.

Jason

Dear God NO. What are you Rambo? :wink:

This is all you need. It's called a Z knife. It's small, compact and stays out of the way. If you really wan't something big then maybe a trama shears like the one in the other picture.

In spite of what some people may say, you are free to carry just about any kind of knife if you want to. However, most would suggest that a big 'ole nasty Rambo knife is not a good idea, even though many guys are instinctively drawn to the big steel.

Just a few things to consider:
1) That's a big chunk 'o steel. Strap it to one leg, and you are heavy on that side.
2) A great big pointed thingy is just looking for other things to poke into or through. For every one thing that you really really want to poke, you will probably accidentally poke at least 5 others that you didn't want to have holes in.
3) A big sharp edged cutting tool is just looking for things to slice through. . . etc.
4) In some places you may be asked to not carry a knife that large.
5) In some places (ScubaBoard included) you may be harrassed or teased for carrying a Rambo knife.
6) In many places you will probably be viewed in a negative light for carrying a Rambo knife. I know; who cares what other people think? It might make people avoid you in situations where you could use a buddy. Of course the other side of the coin is that you might attract some divers to you because of your cool weapon.

------------
Think about what you carry a "knife" for. Of course there are many reasons, but the primary reason would be to cut entanglements. Many people would think that a line cutter and/or a pair of shears ( Such as those shown in response #4) is/are a much better safer, saner way of getting the security you need. If you do carry a knife (and many divers do) you might want to consider something a little less massive, and certainly consider a blunt tip version that is much safer.

However, if you really have your heart set on strapping a Navy Seal style pig sticker to your body, then go for it, but be prepared for the consequences.

My two cents, and only because you asked.

Wristshot

I would go for the bayonet with the skull crushing pommel. Either that or the survival machete, you never know when you are going to need a machete underwater..... :eyebrow:

welcome to the board coyotekiller, actually I was joking, the knives you have seen are a little overkill, cool but overkill. Go for the Z-Knife and shears

... but consider how you will need to use it. I believe that prying is much more likely a task than poking, and prying with a pointy knife just breaks off the point. So I recommend a blunt knife. Self-defense isn't an issue, because 1. sharks don't attack divers, and 2. poking one will just piss it off. If your shark-attack plan is to stab your buddy and swim away, then slicing will work better than stabbing anyway...

A line cutter is a necessity. Try to find a knife with the cutter near the end of the blade, rather than next to the hand guard. Much easier to use when monofilament gets wrapped around your leg. Or carry a z-knife as well.

Serrated blades stay sharper longer, and are really the only way to hack through rope and heavy fish nets.

Just my humble opinion. Make your own educated choice.

This "SP7 DIVER PROBE. 11" overall. 5.75" 440A stainless steel blunt end double edge blade with black finish and serrated sections. Molded black plastic belt sheath" is not so bad, considering the features and size it is pretty much comparable to some of the larger diving knifes.

I think the one with the skull crusher pommell would work great if someone attacked you underwater :D

coyotekiller:
http://www.imsplus.com/ims8b.html

It is the first one on the list.
Thank you guys

No, for many reasons....Similar to the thoughts in the other thread you had about carrying a gun underwater, this knife is not designed for cutting the things a normal diver needs to cut...It won't help you much with fishing line, kelp (if you can't just break it), prying things, etc.

Get something that has a blunt tip, and has a line cutter...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom