New to diving, would this be a knife I could use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, it's way too big. You need a 4" blunt-tip knife and a pair of medical shears. No need for weapons of war underwater...

Think of another use for your knife: hanging on to something while facing the current. A knife is great to fight the current along the bottom of the river. I always carry a knife, I've used it once to cut fishing line but multiple time to "climb" into the current.
The shear or z-knife will not do that.

We All Know That Diving Knives Are Carried For Only One Reason And That Is In Case A Shark Shows Up...you Use It To Stab Your Buddy So That You Can Get Away..but Seriously Folks, I Want Something Sharp,but Not Necissarrily Long. I Carry Two Knives, A Standard Size 8 Inch Strapped On The Inside Of My Right Thigh( Inside My Thigh In Case I Have To Dump My Weight Belt,it Wont Get Caught On It..i Hope) And One Smaal One On My Right Upper Arm .i Also Carry Scissors ( Attached To Surgical Tubing Shoved Inside My Left Side Weight Pocket Holder On My Bc)wich Are Actually Much More Handy And Useful For Cutting All That Stuff That 's Hard To Cut With A Knife Down There .with This Set Up I Feel Confident That I Can Reach Something To Cut Myself Out Of A Jam..thats My Two Cents.but Hey, Whatever Works..but It Has To Work

Thank you guys,
I mention this because I already have this knife.
+ im a broke kid so even 20-40 bucks make a decent dent in my wallet, so buying other stuff doesn't help me out. I defently like the idea of a small 2-3 in knife on the shoulder or somewhere that is easy to get too. I'm defently not gona whip a big old knife like that out just to cut some fishing line.
Thank you for the imput guys.

There is a post about making a dive knife out of a kitchen knife for around $8.00 with sheath. I have two of them. Usually when I dive I just carry a z knife and shears. When I think that I might need more I put the two home made knives inside the wrist area of my wet suit on the palm side of each arm. Thought that I needed them one time, didn't. They usually stay in my dive bag just in case.

you beat me to it...

Next time you're home visiting mom for dinner...jump into the cutlery drawer...you'll likely find a small el-cheapo pearing knife...which she likely won't miss...score and snap-off the tip. Apply the liberal use of a grinder and/or sharpening stone/es to produce a razor sharp edge...then...snag some surplus nylon webbing to create a sheath.

You've now got a new dive knife with almost zero outlay.

There are places that sell inexpensive EMT shears. I bought half a dozen pairs for about $2 each a while back from Emergency Tees, but their website is acting up today. I found several sites that self EMT shears for under $4 each, in a variety of colors. Just something to consider for someone on a budget.

Note that these may not come with sheaths, but you can carry them in a pocket or you can use the sheath from a mini-maglite. Everyone has those mini maglites, and few people use the sheaths so you should be able to get one from someone you know.

W

BTW, I also found inexpensive seat belt cutters that are essentially Z-knives.

fmw625:
...I put the two home made knives inside the wrist area of my wet suit on the palm side of each arm...

Are you sure you want to put a knife right next to a major artery? Hope you don't miss the sheath in low vis. And here I thought it was a bad idea to have the sheath near your inflator hose...

I believe you can get the shears from the store here are Scubaboard.

Tried the knives once. Never removed them from sheath. Haven't carried them since. Maybe a better location the next time I decide to use them. They are with my divegear.

Back
Top Bottom