New To Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am new to scuba diving and need some help. If i get certified, i would mostly be diving in the Florida Keys for lobster, some spring diving, and mabey some diving in the gulf. I probably won't be diving very deep, say more than 60 feet. I want to get nice equiptment, but i don't want to over do it. I also have read about Nitrox. Is this practical for me, or should i stick with just the regular air. Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Well, for easy going diving to 60 feet, we are lucky to have a wide range of high quality gear to shop from. Our forums under The Equipment of Scuba Diving should give you all sorts of good opinions, as you have many good choices.

BTW, you are welcome to click here to post an Introduction if you'd like so we can welcome you appropriately.

Nitrox serves little above 60 feet, but don't be surprised if your diving changes. :D

You'll find all sorts of equipment that will be very suitable for the type of diving that you say you'll be doing. I would suggest renting for a bit, trying different brands, types, etc.

Don was right about the nitrox, but don't be surprised if you decide to expand your dives a bit before you know it. When the time is right for nitrox, you'll know.

welcome, based on your profile i may suggest that you reseach first and ask the opinion of others before buying your gear. you can research on this site and there are more than enough helpful lads to assist you. as for your question with nitrox, it would be wise to play it by ear and get a feel of diving. get as much dives as possible and if you decide to take nitrox then by all means do so. good luck

Now, if you buy a computer, get one that does Nitrox. You'll be glad you did, one way or the other... :sunny Forgot to include that.

as a new diver, IMHO, nitrox certification won't do you much good. guessing that you are like me (and many others), your dive times will be restricted because of air consumption and your depths will be restricted by the lack of experience to go deeper.

Nitrox isn't a benefit.

personally i would wait on nitrox and spend the certification money on something like peak buoyancy.

just my .02

welcome to Scuba Board

Start researching equipment, it's part of the fun for many, but don't be pushed into buying the big things like reg and BC until at least after you are certified. You will have a better idea after your classes and some dives what features to look for and what you want.

Concentrate on getting certified and learning your basic skills well, no need to think much about Nitrox just yet. But as Don says, if you do get a computer it's good to get one that handles Nitrox. Even if you don't use the capability right away there's a good chance you will want to learn Nitrox sometime later, and then you'll wish you had. A computer is another thing not to buy until at least after you are certified, if not later.

As others have said, once you get into the sport you may develop interests in more types of diving than you originally planned. But basically most gear is good and will do the job for most rec diving, it's a matter of what fits you well and works for you. And of course how much you want to spend. :wink:

There is good information to be learned in a Nitrox class. The real advantage to Nitrox is that it can give you longer bottom times and shorter surface intervals. You'll probably need to get more comfortable and relaxed underwater before your air consumption rate will drop enough to take advantage of longer bottom times. But the potential for shorter surface intervals will come in handy if you do any dive trips with repetitive diving like you find on liveaboards.

Back
Top Bottom