new to Scubaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, Don. Guess I should've been more clear in my original question, but all I was looking for was whether there's anywhere to dive in Colorado. I lived there many years ago, but never did any diving there -- skiing, camping and fishing -- but no diving.

For the last several years I've been diving the cool waters off the coast of California (water temp at depth is seldom above 55df). I do have a drysuit as well as a semidry and a 7mm w/hooded vest, and would expect to use the drysuit more in Colorado.

Guess I should've mentioned that I'm an instructor (PADI MSDT 168717), so I know the rules and have altitude conversion tables.

Again, just wondering if there's somewhere to get wet between trips back to the ocean.

Squidward

Squidward,
I live in the Denver area. There are some considerations when diving at altitude, most covered in the PADI altitude course. But there is written guidance around and it isn't complicated. The big problem would be going to one of the high altitude lakes from Denver and doing a dive right away. Your computer may not compensate for the drive up to the lake. Two pressure groups for each 1000 ft. Ouch! When I go to the mountains I try to stay over night before the diving. Or go early in the day and wait out the SI and then stay over night.
There are plenty of lakes. Buy the dry suit. There are thermoclines with real TEETH! The Denver metro area has two places. Aurora Res. and Chatfield State Park. There is an old gravel pit south of the main lake. It is used for training a lot. 20 to 24 feet deep. A fine, fine place to practice your silt out composure skills.
The drive to Blue Hole is 7 hours, the Crater in Utah (92 degree water) is 8 hours.
Overall you must WANT to dive real bad to dive locally.
PM me when you get here, I dive a fair amount.

Back
Top Bottom