new to tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ecudiver

Contributor
Reaction score
hey guys just looking for some opinions and help on getting my first set of tanks. i plan to use them mainly for nitrox but occasionly air. i have only dived with AL 80 before but like the idea of the steel tanks. i am mainly looking to buy my own bc two AL 80 at the dive charter we dive with two AL 80 nitrox tanks cost me $34. buying my own tanks i believe i should be able to save quite a little bit of money down the road. if i were only able to afford one steel tank right now would it be wise to buy above 100cft or stay with the 100 cft steel. i do want to acheive as much bottom time as possible.

I like the E7-100. It is very similar to the AL80 in size and weight but with better bouyancy traits and offers 100 cu ft at 3442 psi.

I agree with DA....

A few more points..
For openers I'm a big proponent of owning your own cylinders. I caution you to watch your math though. Since you seem to be a primarily nitrox diver what will those fill be costing you? Cylinder cost, gas fills, VIP inspection once a year and a 5 year hydro will all eat into the savings.

Remember that you will be restricted to Nitrox grade plain air fills.

Since you seem to have a history of diving with 77 cubic feet of gas how does 100 sound? The fit and feel will be very familiar and you will get to drop a little lead from your belt.

Everyone wants as much bottom time as possible. What you need to understand is your usage and how it compares to the cylinders and usage of your buddies.

Pete

Actually, most HP100 tanks are a bit SHORTER than an Al.80. Win-win. :D

Best all-around tank award definitely goes to the HP100.

What the hell, I'll be the odd man out in this one. I prefer low pressure tanks. Many dive shops will not fill a high pressure tank to its full capacity. With most of the low pressure tanks, you are allowed a 10% overfill, plus I like the bouyancy traits of the low pressure fabers. If you now a good tech shop, they may even be comfortable over filling a low pressure faber to over 3000psi (common in cave country).

Igodeep:
What the hell, I'll be the odd man out in this one. I prefer low pressure tanks.

Not the odd man out...............one of the smart ones:wink:

Igodeep:
What the hell, I'll be the odd man out in this one. I prefer low pressure tanks. Many dive shops will not fill a high pressure tank to its full capacity. With most of the low pressure tanks, you are allowed a 10% overfill, plus I like the bouyancy traits of the low pressure fabers. If you now a good tech shop, they may even be comfortable over filling a low pressure faber to over 3000psi (common in cave country).
There are advantages to LP tanks. But overfills such as the ones you describe are not available everywhere... in fact, they're really only widely available in Florida's cave country.

An LP tank can lose it's plus rating, and then you no longer get the full amount. LP tanks are heavier (on land) and larger.

Using an Aluminum 80 for comparison (since they are the most universally familiar), an LP95 (a popular size) is 8" diameter as opposed to 7.25". An HP 100 is the same diameter, but a couple of inches shorter. And even with a 3200 psi fill (only the most craptastic of compressors poop out at this point), you still have 93 cf of gas, compared to the max capacity of 77.4 cf in Aluminum. Just shy of the LP95's rated capacity (of 95 cf), it's true, but it's also a lot smaller tank, and still bring considerably buoyancy advantages over aluminum, and you don't have to overfill it to get that. And the HP100 is lighter on land, as well... same weight as the Al.80 in most cases, and several pounds lighter than the LP95.

So, smaller (shorter and narrower), lighter, nearly the same buoyancy, and nearly the same capacity. Unless you live in cave country, I prefer the HP100. The LP95's are popular tanks also, and for good reason, but I still prefer the HP100s. Also, the hot dip galvanized coating on Worthington tanks handles corrosion from salt water better than Faber's painted tanks. Not a big deal at all when you're diving freshwater caves, but for those of us who mostly dive in salt water, well...

Not odd man out....I have had the disscussion about how much air our HP 120s hold. We normally only get 3000 PSI fills. Since the tanks are rated at 3442 they are 13ish % under filled making a 120 really a 105 (again rounded). The Hp 100 would be an 87.

I have a 120 helps shave some lead. My SAC averaged .55 on my last two dives so I get plenty of bottom time.

I recently bought 2 LP 85's. About the same size & weight as AL 80s, and much easier to get a good fill. I usually have them filled to 3000 which gives almost the volume of a hp 100. I rarely get much over 3200 for my HP fills, so when I decided on getting some new tanks, I sold 1 of my HP tanks & got the LP 85s. Which brings up another point. LP tanks are cheaper.

I also like that the diameter is 7.25 vrs 8 for the LP 95.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom