New to the board- Hi Everyone-Love the board! Need car rental advice please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We use Isis. Great deal and good service. In all the years I have rented cars in Cozumel, I have never been "shaken down" or extorted by police. I do not personally know of anyone who has had that experience. Do not drink and drive follow the rules of the road and you should have no problems. Enjoy your trip.

We use Isis. Great deal and good service. In all the years I have rented cars in Cozumel, I have never been "shaken down" or extorted by police. I do not personally know of anyone who has had that experience. Do not drink and drive follow the rules of the road and you should have no problems. Enjoy your trip.

My OW instructor got the Police shakedown twice last year in Playa on the same trip, the second time he was on his way to the airport and they emptied his wallet of all his cash.

Their cars are all scratched up on the outside so before renting they mark up the rental damage sheet all over. I wish I had taken pictures of the whole car. When returning I was a little surprised how 'diligent' they checked the car for new damage. Running a hand all around the car, feeling for newly chipped paint. It was a bit overboard, esp. given all the scratches the car had already.

LOL that reminds me of a time we rented a car on St Kitts, all the women at businesses there wear suits and are very business like and professional in their dealings, and she took us out to the rental car which looked like it had been hit more times that Joe Frazier, it had dents and marks everywhere, but the little business manner gal diligently was making marks all over the blank picture of the car on her clip board for what seemed like hours, mapping every mark.. I finally jokingly said "Might it be easier just to mark the places that the car isn't damaged?" I was given a very stern look and she returned to making her marks... :idk:

I think the shake down is quite rare on Coz, more likely on the peninsula. Tourism rules Coz, which is good & bad.

We saw the police had someone pulled over once, but have never had a problem ourselves. We ALWAYS buy the insurance, I don't want any surprises when it's time to drop it off. We rented a Jeep last April and had it for 5 days, I think it was around $250 and 1 tank of gas.

The sunrise on the east coast is beautiful by the way

Another vote for Isis. She is the most honest and trustworthy Mexican car rental owner I have dealt with on or off the Island. You do not have to be concerned about the agent trying to scam you about a scratch or fuel level.

I was pulled over for speeding on our last trip. No shake down, just given a warning and asked to obey the speed limit. Watch the speed limit it goes from 90 to 30 for no reason at all then back to 90. Driving around town can be confusing with all the one way streets. A few laps around town on google street view is a good warm up before you do the real thing. Once you get lost nobody speaks English, but if you point and say agua because you don't no how to say which way is the ocean in Spanish they will bring you a glass of water.

Is it the north-south streets that always have the right of way, or the east-west? It's one of those.

My OW instructor got the Police shakedown twice last year in Playa on the same trip, the second time he was on his way to the airport and they emptied his wallet of all his cash.
Bummer for him. He should try Cozumel. Much better diving and the police are kinder and friendlier. No drinking and driving, follow the rules!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom