New to the hood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw that. Have you tried it?

PerroneFord:
I saw that. Have you tried it?

I have not. I've never worn a hood, but I'm going to LP Thursday or Friday so I will take a look at it and tell you what I think of it in general. It looks good on the SeaSoft website (seasoftscuba.com). I'm probably going to buy a Harvey's 7mm with a 5mm glideskin-type face seal, but I can't help wondering if a 5mm compressed neoprene hood might be as warm as a regular neoprene 7mm. I hate bulk.

Perrone, considering how many custom wetsuit makers there are out there that make hoods all the time, I can't imagine it would be very difficult to have one of them make you a hood out of 5mm neoprene instead of their usual 7mm. Have you considered that route? I doubt it would even be particularly expensive.

Compudude, I had thought of it, but I just got the drysuit last week, so this has been more just brainstorming than anything to this point. My cave diving will kick into high gear in about 8 weeks, and then I'll be looking to do a few things like this hood. I wonder if any of the custom makers are using the "good stuff" in terms of Neoprene. Like the Rubatex stuff.

I thought they stopped making Rubatex, so it's probably getting harder and harder (and more expensive) to find a rubatex suit. That said, they can practically use scrap for a hood.

My thinking, however, is to get the stretchy comfy stuff instead of the stiff rubatex. We're talking about a thin hood for use with your drysuit in 68 degree water, not a custom fit wetsuit for use in 50 degree water. The advantages (and expense) rubatex would bring to the table just don't seem worth it, IMO. I have a Henderson InstaDry hood for when I dive wet, and I like it, but my Gold Core drysuit hood is a lot stretchier and more comfortable (both are 7mm). Again, for a 5mm hood in relatively warm water, I'd go for comfort.

For the record, I think I read somewhere that the best rubber out there right now (that's in current production) is Yamamoto or something like that. I think Xcel uses it, as well as a few custom shops.

scubajunkee:
Nope, but when I put it on, it gets really quiet and my dives tend to be a lot longer since my head is so toasty. It costs $75, but well worth it. They also have 10mm hoods if you don't need the extra bulk. Check them out: http://www.otterbaysuits.com/

- Ericson

They also make a 6.5mm hood. It's best to call them on the phone for details.

I use one of their 12mm hoods too. The best thing about a custom hood is the fact that the head and neck both fit right. I couldn't get that with off the shelf hoods. Always had water flushing in and out of the neck .

Back
Top Bottom