New to the Scuba Boards, not yet certified diver. Loves to snorkel.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Elzawar01

Reaction score
I am very new to the Scuba Board. I just recently started to really enjoy snorkeling. Does anyone have any words of encouragment on scuba diving. I was so afraid of the water till my boyfriend took me snorkeling. I have really started to love and appreciated the water, and the wonderful creatures in it.
What can I do to get my license in diving? I feel so lost in this area. Especially when it comes to buying new gear. HELP!!! I reall want to get into this whole new diving hobby of mine!! Thanks!!:)

...snorkeling is what got me started in scuba diving. And now, I'm a total freak and I can't stop!

My girlfriend was also in the "I'm afraid the sharks will eat me" situation. I eventually convinced her to go with me to get certified, so we'd have an activity we could do together. It's been over six months and she hasn't done a single dive, but come June we're headed to the Keys for a week, and she's goin' one way or another! :D

There's a bunch of instructors on this board, and I'm sure someone would be able to give you a referral.

As far as gear goes, don't buy anything until you've been certified. Even then, wait a little to see what type of diving you're interested in.

Welcome to the board!...and good luck pursuing your interest...you won't regret it. :wink:

Hi and welcome... I would say this is a great place to start and everyone here should be able to anwser any questions you might have. Also be sure to check the archives here on the board in your quest for information. A lot of the topics have already been cover on this board before.

:)

I, too, must agree with the previous post that says wait until after you are certified to buy your gear. Of course you will need the basics (mask, fins, snorkel) in your class, but the real expensive stuff you should hold off on. You will want to try on as much different stuff that you can. That means even going to other shops than the one you will get certified in.
Again, WELCOME ABOARD and Good Luck!

Tom
:wink: :) :wink:

Next time you are snorkling, if you dive down to look at something, ask youself, "what if I didn't have to go back up for an hour?"
That should help motivate you to get enrolled in a class asap.

>Does anyone have any words of encouragment on scuba diving.

Yes, do it. I've only become certified recently, myself; but the divers I've met so far have been very pleasant and helpful.

>What can I do to get my license in diving?

Vist your local dive shop(s). They should friendly and helpful folks. Stop in and make some friends.

There should also be at least one local dive club. They usually have monthly meetings. It's great place to meet local divers and learn about diving opportunities.

For me, the best thing about by diving experiences so far has been meeting nice people.

KYDan

Welcome to the board from the cold waters of New England USA.
Have fun here, take your time and learn everything you can before doing anything. Don’t jump into a program until you’re sure you want to do so. Make sure you’ve learned enough to make the right choice on what program is right for you. Gathering as much information up front will avoid disappointments later on. Visit different dive shops and talk with different instructors. Go with the one that makes you feel most comfortable, not necessarily the one that boasts the most accomplishments. No pressure and the willingness to answer many questions is a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom