New to the team!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congratulations. I know how good that feels. Just goes to show you that even a blind pig can find an acorn now and then.
I remember the first gun I ever found. We were asked to search a river that had eight bridges on it that ran through a city. Nobody knew what bridge it had been thrown off of. Interstingly enough we knew the make, caliber and serial number we were looking for as the suspect purchased a Bryco 9mm pistol a couple of years before and had to have a record check done. An informant had dimed out the shooter and told us the gun had been chucked off a bridge. We chose the most likely bridge and on our second day I found the gun lying on top of a boulder in about 6 inches of water. The boulder was in 8 feet of rapids. The area had been "cleared" the day before although nobody bothered to look on top of the rocks we had swum around and searched the previous day. I had been snorkling over the area on my way back to the Zodiac to get more air when it caught my eye. It was lying where I could see the serial no. and knew it was the murder weapon. I was really glad to have found the "golden egg". I tried to get the other divers attention but they were underwater and did not respond to my banging. About 5 minutes later they popped up a bouy and surfaced. They advised me they had found the gun. I asked "what kind of gun?" They told me it was a S&W 9mm. I told them the gun we were looking for was a Bryco according to the snitch. They told me the snitch was wrong. I then broke the news that the gun we were looking for was lying between my feet and it had the correct serial number. They came over and looked at my gun and I swam over and looked at theirs. Seems we had found the murder weapon plus a bonus gun. It was just about then that a FNG (Favorite New Guy) advised me he had something he wanted me to check out. I had loaned this guy mask, fins and snorkel and told him to amuse himself and stay out of our way. He found a hole with something shiny way down deep that he could not get to but thought it may be a gun. I dropped down and found a Ruger Security Six .357 mag revolver. Seems that gun was the real prize as it had killed 3 guys and there was a lot of investigators who were looking for that one as the three killings that occured 6 months prior were related by NIBIN computer. No one knew it had been disposed of or that it was in the river until we found it. Never learned the rest of the story on the S&W but the Bryco and the Ruger cases were solved as a result. All the guns were not associated with one another but had each been thrown into the same location just because it looked like a good place to dump a gun. Man, I had gun fever bad and hit those dump site locations bridges hard. I found a lot of guns over the years. I never cease to get a rush when I find a gun as it may be the piece of evidence that slips a needle into a bad guys arm on death row. My FNG was no longer a FNG after that day. I hope you have got the fever now and continue with your lucky streak.

james croft:
They came over and looked at my gun and I swam over and looked at theirs.

Is this one of those, you show my yours and I'll show you mine type of things.

As for finding the gun, it was a rush. I was told, I was the only one to find a gun in almost 10 years. They told me it is very difficult to find small objects....

I can tell you my heart started pounding when I realized my middle finger was inside of the trigger guard of a loaded gun. (all guns are loaded!!). All I could think of was accidentally shooting myself with that gun. It was funny afterwards. It was great getting the high fives from the other team members. At that moment, I felt like a true team member. I had found my place......:)

Murphdivers:

I know just what you mean

I am a member of the Clastop County Sheriffs offise Search and Rescue URT
based out of Astoria Oregon, I was lucky eough to have known most of the other team members for a few years befor I joined the team

But they seem more like brothers then team members if they are not giving me a hard time about something or the other we are ganging up on one of the others about something.

my wife tells me she is proud of me for joining the team but she is worried about the bad influnance the team members have on me

something they seem to take grate pride in .
Sparky

sparkyjames:
my wife tells me she is proud of me for joining the team but she is worried about the bad influnance the team members have on me

Unfortunately, that is something I no longer have to worry about...

The members of our team are a great bunch of guys.

Congrats on making the team and finding the gun.

I love finding weapons. It was even better when I was over in the jail, and could walk over and let the guy know that we had retrieved his property for him :).

Anyone know how far a weapon would shoot underwater?

Far enough to ruin your day if you're the one grabbing it. Or if your buddy is the one grabbing it.

Jorbar1551:
Anyone know how far a weapon would shoot underwater?

agree. Do you think it would have penetrating power? have you ever watched the mythbusters episode where they fire rifles into water and see how far the round will go before losing penetrating power or breaking up? the .50 cal round wil only go about 3 feet before the round explodes and fragments into pieces.

Myth Busters shot from air into the water. There is a bigger danger when fired under water. From what I’ve played with, 30 cal. (M1), 38, 45 and 12 ga. 2 ¾” & 3” magnums, over ten feet you “SHOULD” be safe. You might get hit with the projectile but they didn’t have much power left. The projectile’s also stayed intact.

I don’t know if fresh water would make much of a difference. All our playing around was in the brine.

So the danger is mainly to who ever picks the thing up and then to everyone once you hit the air again.

Gary D.

Many guns may have difficulty firing underwater as the tolerances in the firing pin channel may not vent water. Since water does not compress the firing pin may have difficulty striking the primer with enough force to set it off. Some guns will fire with no problems. Some may be modified to fire underwater. One that comes to mind is the Glock. It can be retrofitted with marine cups on the firing pin to allow water to escape and insure ignition. The guns aren't really designed to shoot underwater but rather to fire under wet conditions where a gun may have been immersed.

Back
Top Bottom