New to using a Gopro underwater and diving in general

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also for the equipment guys, I ordered a Polar pro filter and Antifog inserts. I've been looking at the archon lights and plan to order one as well as a magenta polar pro filter. Finally, are you supposed to use a filter and lights or is it a one or the other setup?
Its either Red Filter or light, not both simultaneously. Using then at same time will give your excessive red color in most cases.

I guess there I should have clarified more so that I would like to take a camera after the cert dives but on the same day. We will be diving Saturday and Sunday. Once we finish our cert dives Sunday (3ish-4ish) We are welcome to dive more, this is when I was hoping to try the camera.

OP: "I plan to do all my certification dives and then do a couple dives to try some tech skills"

This is good to hear. I see a lot of students showing up to class with a camera thinking they can use the camera while getting certified. They are usually really disappointed when they find out they cannot use a camera or even have the instructor use the camera.

I know for myself, when I first started diving, I just couldn't describe to friends and family what I saw when I went diving and I so wanted to use a camera to bring everything back with me. If this is why you want to bring a camera, I'd recommend focusing on buoyancy control and forget about the camera for now. If you aren't distracted by a camera you should get good buoyancy control (and use less air) within 24 dives.

When I first started diving I would find people with 1000+ dives who were taking pictures/video and ask them if they could give me a copy or tell me where they posted things. I also keep a log with information like what I saw, water temp, who I was diving with, etc. Re-reading my log helps me remember the different places I've been diving. :)

If you want to bring a camera so you can improve your skills then flareside is spot on... give the camera to your instructor (or another dive professional) and ask them to film you as you dive.

One could have a whole discussion just on the unintended hazards of photography/videography. I believe a camera is the most dangerous piece of equipment a diver can own.

Bob
----------------------------------
A man's got to know his limitations.
Harry Callahan

If you think that you will be a good diver after OW certification, you are.....................dreaming.
I would never budy with somebody with that few dives who wants to spearfish or film underwater.............Doing that you are a danger to yourself and others.

If you think that you will be a good diver after OW certification, you are.....................dreaming.
I would never budy with somebody with that few dives who wants to spearfish or film underwater.............Doing that you are a danger to yourself and others.

I do not believe I said I would be a good diver after OW. All I was asking is what would it take to be able to use a gopro underwater. I.E. if for instance, I made a vertical descent to a platform. Stopped there, took a quick video around or a couple pictures and then put the camera away before continuing my dive. I do understand the importance of focusing on buoyancy and the task at hand but was only curious as to the in's and out's of Gopro video underwater. I can assure everyone while I may seem eager (and I am) I am also safety oriented (I work for TVA, meaning I have to live my entire life under safety protocol), and I will under no circumstances even possibly put anyone at risk.

I do understand the concerns some have about cameras and diving. The people who bump into me most while diving............. often seem to have cameras and seem oblivious to others. Not all camera folk though are careless, most are not. It is certainly beautiful below sea level and definitely worth capturing video, but always pay attention to your diving, buoyancy is huge. It's hard to do video and concentrate on skills. ONE OTHER THING! Pay close attention to the environment. Make sure you are not kicking and damaging the coral while getting video of that cool looking turtle. It's easier to damage the coral than one might think, and that's never okay.

I do understand the concerns some have about cameras and diving. The people who bump into me most while diving............. often seem to have cameras and seem oblivious to others. Not all camera folk though are careless, most are not. It is certainly beautiful below sea level and definitely worth capturing video, but always pay attention to your diving, buoyancy is huge. It's hard to do video and concentrate on skills. ONE OTHER THING! Pay close attention to the environment. Make sure you are not kicking and damaging the coral while getting video of that cool looking turtle. It's easier to damage the coral than one might think, and that's never okay.

Thank you for the input. This is one of the most helpful replies I've recieved. Its just something I always want to remember, I just want to be able to take a couple pictures from my first Open water dives after Certification.

Back
Top Bottom