New truck needs new tank holder..going home made any ideas??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Always use tie down points and ratchet straps to secure the tanks, never had any issues.

I would keep the back seats in especially if they are bench type, good for having a snooze if need be.

I have been on scene for numerous highway accidents, do not think that having tanks laying in the bed of a truck are any safer than being in the cab. Anything that is not secured completely will move, great distances, in the event of an accident. I have seen pick up beds empty in low speed accidents, and yes item can go through the back windows of the cab, the heavier it is the harder it hits

If you're handy with a welder or know someone who is you can weld a small steel bar upright in the tailgate, and just use a regular ole ratchet strap, wrap it around the bar and your tank, fasten it down. Then after that's done go get some RhinoLiner sprayed in the bed and around the bar. You'll thank me later it's the best damn invention ever. Lasts forever, increases your truck's value and is nearly indestructible

Well I have finally got off my butt and made my rack. I decided to go with wood and built a two tank holder that stands upright against the head board in my box. Took 2x8s and made a box then cut two half moon sections out to set tanks in
Secured box into bed with turnbuckles and tanks to box with ratchet straps
Will post pics this weekend when I head to the st. Lawrence river. After I taken the seats out I did not like the look so it was time to go simple lol

IMG00080-20110408-1649.jpgIMG00081-20110408-1723.jpgIMG00082-20110408-1925.jpgIMG00083-20110408-1925.jpgIMG00084-20110408-1937.jpg
Make a pvc tank rack. My scuba buddy had enough patience to make mineHere are pictures of mine.

so i just bought a new truck "ford ranger four door" im single no kids so the back seats are more or less a wast. so im thinking of taking the two back seats out and mounting a single tank holder where each seat is now and am looking for ideas as to how to go about it... im very handy but do not want to do a whole lot of trial and error so anybody that has a good idea let me hear it ....LOOKS COUNT!! lol and it must be solid as well dont want a tank in the back of the head if god forbid i crash on my way to the lake!!....i was thinking something like two tank bands one on the upper half and one lower bolted to the inside of the cab or something along those lines?? OK lets hear em!:eyebrow:

without being tied down, one good bump and the tank will be set free to roll around the bed.

Well, the bump would have to be strong enough to dislodge it. If the diameter of the PVC is great enough, I could see them being very secure, as more force would be needed to knock it free

Nothing bumps around anywhere. The PVC rack pushes firm against all sides of the bed.

without being tied down, one good bump and the tank will be set free to roll around the bed.

Right until the tanks jump out of it on a bump and go free-range all over the truck bed . . .

If you are strapping them down to avoid that, you never mentioned it . . .

- Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom