New TSA Regulations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sitting in Laguardia right now and I can confirm, by personal experience, that this sucks. Long lines, flight delays, boo. I don't want those terrorists to go to jail, I want them to be released into the USAirways lounge and let a room full of pissed off business travelers have their way with them. That will send a message real quick.

Ok so here is a question all the people who are now at there destinations IE my G/F and her family, when they left 5 days ago they took one carry on bag one purse on board and than checked there two fifty pound bags not an issue right , So now what happens in 9 days when it is time for them to come home. . . they going to be charged extra for there bags they were allowed to take prior to this event because they over the 50 pound per bag two bag limit?

anywho just a thought that makes me go HMMMMM

Any body that would pay 30 bucks for a bottle of hair gel should be soundly laughed at and made to use ivory soap to wash his hair.

General aviation (private flying) is sounding better all the time.
-Ben M.

Namchief:
Why do that when you can sell a product that you have to either drink fast or throw away. Sell the bottle of water then after it has to be thrown away, purchase something on the plane. they hit you twice, Yes I can see eventually charging for soda and if you want water it will be bottled and they will charge you. First they take away meals then the peanuts (some airlines) next will be the free shot of diet coke they give you.

I think one airline is now charging $1 for can soda. A test program some where. I have to look it up.

You have to pay to use the sky caps... pay sit in the exit row, or an aisle seat, pay for a snack box... pay for a headset.. pay if you are one pound over.

EDIT.. it was American Eagle with some flights in California. They have since dropped that idea.

JacobK:
Then, when you get on the plane, ring for the flight attendant every 30 minutes for water. Can you see that? 150 passageners asking for water every 30 minutes.

Not that hard to imagine when you consider the little 2.5 oz water bottles they give you on the plane. What is hard to imagine about that scenario is that it will only be every 30 minutes, more like 10.

I'm sure the airlines will take this opportunity to start charging for water on the flights now too.

Diver Dennis:
I fly Cathay and the limits are 2 checked bags @ 70lbs. and 1 carry on, max 15lbs. I always have 2 carry ons, all cameras and latop and they have never said anything but I do get to the front of the line to be one of the first on. My housing and all my other dive equipment except computers are checked.
Ooof lucky guy, most international airlines are 2 checked bags @ 50lbs each with 1 carryon and a personal item.

If you're flying first class with some they up the baggage limit to to 70lbs.

Helpful info.

http://www.tsa.gov/press/where_we_stand/security_measures.shtm
http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/2006/press_release_08102006.shtm

tsa.gov:
Where We Stand

Frequently Asked Questions
New Security Measures

Is it safe to fly?
Yes. We do not have any specific threat to flights in the U.S. However, out of an abundance of caution, we have taken these steps as a precautionary measure. We continue to monitor intelligence sources closely and will adjust the security measures as warranted.
What should the American people know?
We ask every passenger to be alert and report suspicious activity to authorities.
What can people expect at the checkpoints?
Passengers may experience longer lines at airports and should plan to arrive early. Check with your specific airline and airport before flight departure time to determine how much time is needed for your flight. Passengers should pack their patience and ensure that that they do not bring any liquids to the security checkpoint in carry-on luggage. These items are no longer permitted on board the aircraft. To expedite the process, avoid having clutter in your bags and minimize the number carry-on items.
Why are you banning liquids?
We are taking appropriate preventive measures to protect the public given the plot uncovered by U.K. authorities.
Will there be any exceptions?
The following items are permitted to be carried aboard the aircraft:
  • Passengers traveling with infants may bring baby formula.
  • Prescription medicine that matches the passenger’s name.
  • Essential non-prescription medicines such as insulin are permitted.
What about liquid eyeliner and similar items?
If you are in doubt about an item, please leave it at home or place in your checked baggage or the item may be intercepted at the security checkpoint.
Media reports indicated that passengers may be forced to sample infant formula or milk before being permitted to fly. Is that true?
No. TSA will not ask passengers to sample fluids or beverages during the screening process. This process is being required at foreign airports and is not required at any domestic U.S. airport. Infant formula must be submitted for inspection to a TSA security officer by passengers traveling with a baby.
Media have also reported that laptops, cell phones and electronic items are no longer allowed. Is that true.
No. TSA continues to allow laptop computers, cell phones and other electronic items.
Will you be hand searching bags?
There will be more hand searches of bags at the checkpoint and a bag check at the gate immediately prior to boarding the aircraft.
Do you have the ability to detect liquid explosives?
We have several methods to detect explosives at the checkpoint. We also have the ability to detect liquids through our screening process.
How early should passengers arrive?
Passengers should consult their individual airline, but we recommend arriving at least two hours in advance of flight time.
Again, keep in mind that if it is necessary to remove liquids at the checkpoint, time will be added to the process.
What cities were the incoming flights involved in the plot arriving at?
Due to the ongoing investigation, we cannot comment on the specific flights or threat.
airsix:
General aviation (private flying) is sounding better all the time.
-Ben M.
I've seen a few news item on the increase in 'private planes', generally tailored to and marketed towarded business passengers or those who are on time constraints and would rather avoid the crowds and lines.
Of course it is quite a bit more costly than the average commercial flight.

Think about this................... you finally get to your destination only to find out that that nasty regulator and dive computer has been confiscated. Also..... both of your strobes and that storage device. COOL!!! you can always RENT! Now we are having fun! ...... Crappy equipment AND that MX 10 just doesn't take the pictures you want! ......... Let's go on another dive vacation as soon as possible.
What do you think is going to happen to the dive industry as a whole (ie Scuba equip. manufacturers; UW camera manufacturers; dive resorts) when it is JUST NOT WORTH THE HASSEL!!!!!!

stu_in_fl:
government agencies rarely have a sense of humor unfortunately....

maybe the terrorists were really just having fun (like the taking the shoes off episode)- knowing shampoo and toothepaste would be banned, they know everyone will be travelling with stinky breath and bad hair for the next few years.
Like travel in France !:11:

AggieDad:
Don't quote me on this but based upon my experience with the TSA is that NO you will not be allowed to take Sea Drops. I would suggest that you not take the knife either. The TSA will over react at first. Just plan on having dirty teeth, dirty hair and a foggy mask for a while.

Just a thought. I've seen at a couple airports bic lighter buckets for smokers since the lighters became verboten. Take one if arriving, drop yours in if departing. If you have to buy defog etc at your destination for fear of it exploding in your luggage, how about passing it on to the first new arrival you meet before you leave?

Back
Top Bottom