New Vessels allowed at Wolf/Darwin??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divengolf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been following the Galapagos situation for the past two years, permit problems and all. I was under the impression that the only liveaboards that have "reliable" permits to go diving at W/D were the Aggressor and PH boats. Now I see the Alta advertising trips to W/D at a substantial discount on Scuba Diving website/emails. Plus apparently Deep Blue is doing or has done trips to W/D this year. There is a brief posting in another thread in this sub-forum by a SBer who was on the Alta.

Does anyone have any reliable information of either Alta or Deep Blue and their permits for W/D??

I don't want to get caught up like some folks did in 2007 expecting to go to W/D and upon arrival find out that it wasn't going to happen.

For now, these are the boats with permits to dive in the Galapagos. No other ships have permits.
Galapagos Aggressor I and II, Sky Dancer, Estrella Del Mar and Deep Blue. New permits are supposed to be issued in early September, but I hear they may be delayed again. All boats in the Galapagos must have black water systems in place by the end of the year which may be a financial problem for some. Word is that once new permits are issued, 12 boats will have dive permits, however, will no longer be allowed any land visits at all.

Sinduda:

I've been invited for a one week trip to Galapagos aboard the "Evolution" boat. The trip is scheduled sometime next August.

Since you are well informed about which boats presently have permits to dive Wolf and Darwin, is the Evolution one of those boats?

Thanks for your cooperation.

Hi...sorry, but just got back from 2 weeks of land-based diving. Saw a young whale shark at Gordon Rocks this past Friday! Lots of giant mantas around Isabela right now.

As for the Evolution, right now, no. But I believe they have begun awarding some cupos, so once I hear of any new additions, I will let you know.

Hi Arturo,

Some new diving 'cupos' were awarded on Monday, but they are all land-based operations. And I also read on other forums that the Evolution either ran aground or hit a sunken ship and had to be towed into port this week.

The Alta seems to have Wolf-Darwin permission now as well. I noticed that some new applicants for dive boats are from Isabela. I look forward to the day there are shorter 4-5 day runs to Wolf Darwin from Isabela. Keeping my fingers crossed on that one.

Oooppsss !! That´s not good news about the Evolution. I´ll keep an eye on the news to see how long the boat will have to remain on dock. I appreciate you informing all us about this accident.

I'm also trying to find feedback on other's experiences diving on the Alta. The travel agent have told me the itinery will go to Wolf/Darwin. I have been looking for user reviews from the internet without success. Divengolf - have you heard anymore news? tx.

One of the guys out with us...an astoundingly great diver...was Michael Christ, a German who has a dive travel agency. He was talking about the Alta and I believe has been out on it. He speaks English and is at tauchertraum.com. From what very little I know, looks like a great live-aboard. All the live aboards go to Wolf/Darwin. There's no point to a live aboard in the Galapagos otherwise.

Divengolf - have you heard anymore news? tx.

Nothing more than what I've seen on this thread.

But I question sindida's comment: "All the live aboards go to Wolf/Darwin." I think that is more of a wish than fact right now. After the past couple of years experience, I just don't trust the Gov. of Ecuador any more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom