New Vessels allowed at Wolf/Darwin??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As someone who was left without a holiday and lost over a $1000 on no refundable airfares two years ago when it all kicked off in relation to what boats could go to wolf & darwin (other than the longliners who can go there when ever they want by all accounts!) all liveaboards can not go there and it is my understanding that only four are allowed there at the present time.

I do not trust the national park or government there which is why I will not book another holiday there. I would rather go and support countries that at least try to support conservation such as Cocos in Costa Rica or the Socorro islands in Mexico and where I know I will at least get a holiday!

I do not trust the national park or government there which is why I will not book another holiday there. I would rather go and support countries that at least try to support conservation such as Cocos in Costa Rica or the Socorro islands in Mexico and where I know I will at least get a holiday!

I agree with above. I had some friends who were caught up in the same issue in 2007(?) and spent $$$ to do no diving in the galapagos. I'll probably never go there. The gov. is just too unstable on this issue and their support of shark finning is not acceptable. Cocos is probably just as good as are the Socorro Islands-and both are closer.

PS> In DAN's latest Alert Diver, there is a statement that 20-100 million sharks PER YEAR are killed by humans. I'd safely assume that the vast majority of these are by finning. And Equador refuses to totally ban finning. That's enough of a reason not to spend your $$$ there. End of rant. No new thread needed.

Nothing more than what I've seen on this thread.

But I question sindida's comment: "All the live aboards go to Wolf/Darwin." I think that is more of a wish than fact right now. After the past couple of years experience, I just don't trust the Gov. of Ecuador any more.

The live-aboards with dive permits do all go there, but you are certainly right that the laws and National Park regulations can change from one day to the next. Yes, a lot of people who had booked live-aboards were out of luck when the laws changed in 2007. I expect they will change again by the end of the year, however, I also think that more boats with have permits to go to Wolf/Darwin and that none of them will any longer be able to make any land visits.

I'm booked on the Aggressor for Feb 2010. I'm a little concerned about finalizing the rest of our trip until after things have settled down. If they are not going to allow land visits, I will want to book a few nights on a boat for land visits.

Anybody know the key dates when things are supposed to be sorted out?

Also we want to visit a lodge in the amazon, anybody have any strong recomendations based on experience?

Back
Top Bottom