new with a ? for the pro's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

margo

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am a 23yo who has FINALLY graduated from college with a degree in wildlife bio. But, more importantly, I am also a PADI DM and all I want to do is be in the water. But, I have a question. I am pretty sure I want to do my instructor, but I am going to be crewing a sailboat for a while (don't know how long-6mo?) in either the Carribean or the South Pacific (depending on where they buy the boat) starting in mid-Oct. So, should I do my instructor before then because I will have the time and have saved the money, or should I wait to do it until I know I have the time to work and get experience immediately after the IDC? If I do it now I can probably keep my eyes open for jobs while sailing, but I will not have any experience because I will have gone straight from the class to the boat. Also, does anyone have any recommendations on where to do the IDC? I did my DM on Utila a year ago, and I would like to get some experience somewhere bigger. I am thinking of ProDive in FL, but they offer a lot and I don't know if I should do the Resort Course and Specialty Instructor courses or not, or even if they are a good place or just an "instructor mill". So, I know that is a lot, but I would appreciate any advice! Thanks

I say work the boat for a while....

a few reasons....

1 - you get to see the kind of divers the industry is turning out....and what you like/dislike about that.

2 - you'll get a lot of first hand experience managing situations that arise and you'll have to have that in order to be a good instructor.

3 - you might run into a few instructors who have some good ideas and contacts for where you should go to do your IDC.

4 - you get to dive.

The thing is that it is not a dive boat. I will be able to dive along with one other guy on the boat, but that will not be my job. So, I won't be getting any real pro dive experience other than just logging a bunch of fun dives. So, is it better to do it now (when time and $ is there) and look for a job later with no experience, or wait until I know I can work immediately, and miss out on the oppertunity to look for jobs as I sail. Thanks for your advice!

Once you get your DI rating you will need liability insurance. Even if you are not teaching and just go diving, you may be a lawsuit target. So why pay premiums when you are not teaching? Wait, enjoy the sailing and fun diving. After all isn't the fun why you got into diving in the first place?

Just my oponion.

margo once bubbled...
So, is it better to do it now (when time and $ is there) and look for a job later with no experience, or wait until I know I can work immediately, and miss out on the oppertunity to look for jobs as I sail. Thanks for your advice!

Your "professional" experience level isn't going to change if you do it now or later.....

However, your diving experience can grow immensly right now....

FWIW, I think there are more jobs as a DM somewhere than as an instructor, but I'm in the middle of the country and I love to dive in quarries b/c they have water....so I'm not too sharp on the job market.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom