New with a wetsuit problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nursetiff

Registered
Reaction score
Hello one and all, this is my first post and it may be an odd one.
My husband and I got SCUBA (PADI) Cards last year in Aug. in Coz. We will be back there in a week. Problem: I am 5' 2" tall and weigh 185lbs, last year I was 239lbs. I am reasonable fit no health problems and I jog 4 miles every other day in an hour (just so you don't think I should not be in the water due to health).
My husband also lost about 40lbs with me and he is doing really good, he just bought his first wetsuit )shorty) and wants me to buy one too. I have tried on several but have a problem. 1st to go around me I have to go up to a XXL in womens and then they are too long, went to the shorty and they only had an XL in the shop could get it on but due to bust size felt as if I could not take a deep breath. The bust size won't decrease much even if the rest of me does so the dive shop people say to custom order when I decide to buy - any suggestions?
We are going to go for more certifications while we are there for 7 days and will be in the water a lot longer and if all goes well deeper. Will a shorty be enough?
Thanks in advance for any help with this!
Excited about trip - excpet for the whole wetsuit thing!

A custom wetsuit is definitely in order.
You may want to look at ScuabL.com.

the K

Hi! I am right at your size myself... 5'2" and 175 pounds. I wear a size 8 Henderson Hyperstretch that fits me perfectly. I know it doesn't seem like an 8 would fit, but it does. It isn't too long on me either. You may consider something like that. I really enjoy the Hyperstretch myself.

Go custom. LiquidFit is a great choice for warm water suits and since they will do the first alteration for free they will tweak the suit for free when you hit your goal weights latter on!

Do a search for them to see many endorsements

Pete

several things to consider.. only a week to go will make a custom suit difficult to get in time but the best by far are tailor made in Italy and are very reasonably priced especially compared to anything you'll find here in the states custom fit.. I hate putting this word out as I fear they may someday increase their prices.. but here goes again.. http://www.eliossub.com .. at your size... if you are a body builder and have very little body fat and mostly muscle mass you may well want to have a wetsuit.. whether a shorty or full.. but if your size is due to more amounts of body fat, a wetsuit may be something you can get by without on this next trip, and then have the time to order a good custom fit suit for your next trip. A suggestion if you are set on a suit for this trip and have no other options you could consider the very inexpensive suits available at stores like fleet farm for like $70 to get by with until you can get a good suit when you have reached your size/weight goal. If you're diving 3 times a day while in coz, be sure to take something along to stay warm on the boat.. even if it's hot, when you're wet, air movement and water make an evaporative cooler.

My suggestion would be to look at any of the extra stretchy fabrics. Henderson Hyperstretch, AquaLung Aquastretch, or similar. You might be able to get a stock size in one of these suits. If the stocks don't fit I'd recomend going with Henderson and getting a custom suit.

I wouldn't recomend a shorty for your first wet suit. You want somehting more diverse for your first suit. I would suggest getting a 3mm jump suit. (full arms and legs), or even a one of the suits which have 3 at the core and 2mm on the legs and arms).

A jump suit will give you the protection from the sun, and little things that go sting in the water, in addition to the necessary thermal protection if you are doing multiple days of multiple dives.

Welcome to the board!

oh yes, one other thing... way to go on the excersizing!! I think that's great that you and your husband are workin' out. Sounds like you're hooked on that too.

Thanks for all the advice.. I may even check some of the dive shops on the island. Since I live in Oklahoma and a land locked states does not always have many options.
Thanks,

nursetiff, you'll find that the suits in Cozumel are expensive compared to the US and your selection will be limited to Cressi and Scubapro. I would also recommend trying on a Henderson Hyperstretch.

Another vote for Henderson Hyperstretch.

I'm a large guy and I found their full 3mm to be extrememly comfortable. It just doesn't bind and pinch like others I have tried.

Back
Top Bottom