New with a wetsuit problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As someone told before, snug fit is important for wetsuit, you will find the part that is loosen, later on you can feel the cold water moving there while you are diving, it means thermo protect is almost absent for that part.
So snug fit. No matter which brand you are going to choose, without this, it's not going to work well for you.

If you get a tailor made, of course it will fit better, but let's say you just want to buy one at LDS. Then sometimes you may not have a choice on which brand you're gonna get. You have experienced it already. Each brand has a different cutting, e.g. you may find that size M of brand A has a longer sleeve, and size M of brand B has the correct length for the sleeve but it's narrower in waist or chest. So, it's good to find some brands you like to begin with, but if it doesn't fit, you need to move on until you find something that will fit.

I always use a full wetsuit even if temps are warm enough for shorties. I prefer to be fully covered in order to have protection against the elements like coral, jellyfish, etc. So having a full wetsuit is not just about water temperature.

The dive shops are also right about going the custom route for wetsuits. I am also hard to fit off the rack. Up here in Canada, it was only $100 more for a custom suit so I went for it.

As stated before, snug is good. If it feels tight dry, you have an issue in the water as the neoprene cells may be pulled so tight that they can not absorb water and expand.

There are places that can do wetsuit alterations. If needed and it fits, buy the next largest size and have it altered. Your other option is to contact a compnay like Henderson or O'Neill and see if they can aid you in resolving your issue.

Go to www.divetank.com call richard and talk to thim about the new bare progressive stretch suits(its a very stretchy neoprene like the henderson suits). I have a 7mm and it fits like a custom suit. They make the tall, regular and short suits. He will size it with some measurements and it will fit like a glove. Get the 4 day air or it takes a week or two to get it from canada.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom