New Years Day Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason B

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was just talking with David Waechter of Capital Scuba (fantasy lake) about nitrox VIPs for my tanks. He asked if we were still going to come down for the days events. I know there was talk about this at one point. He said they would be diving from around 10 and wrapping up by 3. Says the newspaper and local TV news will probably be there.

Jason

I'll prolly make an appearance....get wet and get the !@#$ out :wink:

dwright:
.........get wet and get the !@#$ out :wink:

My thoughts exactly! I'd like to get out there a little earlier than 1pm. I'm not going out New Year's Eve night so I'll be able to go earlier than expected.

Dale You need to double up on the 3MM.

I can be there on News Years Day.
I haven't made any plans with the family for New Years Day.
Flexible on the time.

Glenn

Guys,

The water isnt that bad...I was there on Wed. 12/29 and it was about 50 degrees, 17 degrees C all the way down to 10 degrees C on the way to the trolley. So, its not that bad, I was fine is a 7mm.

See ya'll 2morrow!!! :wink:

I've got the above water photos from today posted on the wreckmaniac site.

Okay, since no one else is going to post any details from Saturday's dive I guess I will. We missed everyone that didn't get to dive. We had a great time. You couldn't ask for a more perfect day. The weather was awesome! 70F on January 1, 2005! Who would have thunk it. I only wished the water was as warm. At 30' it registered 48F. I'd guess and say vis was 10-12 feet (guys, please correct me if I"m wrong). We were in the water for sixteen minutes. We could have stayed a little longer if some people were wearing thick gloves! However, I wasn't complaining about going in after sixteen minutes. It was so invigorating to giant stride into 48 degree water, and feel it cascade down the back of my wetsuit. It took me a little longer to descend because of hypervenitlating from the cold water. Have you ever jumped in cold water and it took your breath away? That is how I was feeling the first five seconds of descending. Had to tell myself to stop taking those deep breaths so I could get down. I wasn't that cold while diving. I did poke at my upper lip occasionally because it started to go numb. Maybe I'm just a wuss when it comes to cold water.

There were quite a few other divers there. I'd say maybe 40 in all. A few dive shops in the area. It was nice to walk around and chat with the folks you knew. One of the dive shops was cooking chili and had other goodies to nibble on. We brought our own goodies so we hung out, talked diving and ate cold chicken (well, the guys did). We were going to do a second dive, but by then we had warmed back up in the sunshine. It was a good time and I hope at the next dive more of you can join us.

Remember, next get together is a non-diving one. January 21, in Raleigh. Here is the thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/t81679-.html. Also, we will be going to Ginnie Springs and Devils Den in February. We are also talking about scheduling a trip to the Outer Banks for the spring to dive the Triangle Wrecks. I'll get a thread started soon regarding that trip.

Mel

We could have stayed a little longer if some people were wearing thick gloves!
Guilty as charged. I called the dive. Reef gloves just don't work to well in 48 degree water:D.
We still had a blast!

Jason

We had a great time, and I probably wouldn't have lasted as long as you and Charlie did without thick gloves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom