New York City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hantzu701

Contributor
Reaction score
It's possible that I may move back to New York City for a new job. Because diving is such a part of my life now, I can't imagine moving back into Manhattan.

If you were to move into the NYC metro area, where would you go that is accessible to all of the key dive sites/access, yet still allows you to commute to work in Manhattan?

Are we talking New Jersey, CT? etc? Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks,
Charles

you are near all the dive sites and boats if you live in Manhatten. as a matter of fact your sort of in the middle of LI and NJ's most popular dive sites. from the city you can hit both. the high cost of living drives some to LI/conn/nj but NYC is not out of the way when it comes to diving. some true hard core wreckers live in the city.

If you can afford it live in the city (Manhattan.) If not...

North to NY State or CT... now you're closer to R.I. Maine and Lobsters. (however, we catch a lot of bugs off NJ)

If you go south to NJ you're closer to NC and the grave yard of the pacific.

Go west and dive at Dutch every weekend.

You can find boats all up and down the coast. Just go on line and do a search.

In the end there is always diving close. You just have to decide that you want to dive and look for some water.

people commute here between 1/2 hour and two hours.
you'd have to ask yourself what your tolerance for daily commuting would be
coupled with housing lifestyle (city apartment / country farmhouse)
and job hours. (it's hard to do the 2 hour commute with a 12+ hour a day job.)
another, lesser factor, is if you work uptown vs downtown.

I am relatively new to NY but I work on Long Island and don't have to worry about commuting to the city. There are many dive clubs and shops on the island and I know that there are some in Manhattan also. I can vouch for all the other contributors in that there are many many places to dive so you won't have to go through withdrawl!! :wink:

I'm not too clear on how Manhattan is a good location for a diver.

If I live in the city, a car is excess expense. Nevermind having to lug gear and tanks on city streets. If I live outside the city, I'll need a car to get around - also convenient to drive to Dutch Springs, and transport gear/tanks to dive sites.

The trouble with living in the suburbs is the increased commute time into the city.

What I'm looking for is the "sweet spot" - good access to diving & the city. I would have thought it would be in New Jersey - boats out of NJ, easy access to Dutch Springs, but I can see how Long Island can make sense too.

I would think Manhattan is the absolute worst place you could be if you are diving often, both because of the car issue, and because you will be spending all your money on rent or a mortgage. In addition to the problem of lugging tanks three blocks, if you have to leave a tank or some other gear in the trunk overnight for some reason you have to worry about theft also.

I would suggest someplace in central NJ, like Union County (my friend lives there and it seems to be a decent place). That way you will be close to Dutch, the shore, and even Long Island if you want to go there. Of course I guess it depends too if you have kids, and what the schools are like in a given area.

hantzu701:
I'm not too clear on how Manhattan is a good location for a diver.

If I live in the city, a car is excess expense. Nevermind having to lug gear and tanks on city streets. If I live outside the city, I'll need a car to get around - also convenient to drive to Dutch Springs, and transport gear/tanks to dive sites.

The trouble with living in the suburbs is the increased commute time into the city.

What I'm looking for is the "sweet spot" - good access to diving & the city. I would have thought it would be in New Jersey - boats out of NJ, easy access to Dutch Springs, but I can see how Long Island can make sense too.

BROOKLYN!!!! :)

Seriously, you end up being nice and close to Manhattan if you are forced to go there. Which I am since I work there and the dive shop where I store my wallet is there...

There are tons of boats that operate out of Long Island.

I really fail to see how living anywhere around NYC would impede your diving. Maybe I am just used to it now.

How often do you think you would really end up going to Dutch anyway? Unless you are taking/teaching a class or trying out some new gear/technique it gets pretty freaking boring pretty damn fast.

hantzu701:
It's possible that I may move back to New York City for a new job. Because diving is such a part of my life now, I can't imagine moving back into Manhattan.

If you were to move into the NYC metro area, where would you go that is accessible to all of the key dive sites/access, yet still allows you to commute to work in Manhattan?

Are we talking New Jersey, CT? etc? Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks,
Charles

after reading your concerns about expenses i would agree nj is a good idea for you. depending on what you are looking for hudson and bergen co's are a good place to look. hoboken is not cheap but cheaper than nyc and 15 min to manhatten by Path or ferry. its also almost completely young professionals. the entire town is bars and restaruants plus it has a dive shop (hoboken dive center). so great lifestyle and dive shop. its also near the NJ turnpike and the holland and lincoln tunnels, 5mins from all. this would get you to both LI and NJ dive sites quickly. I lived there so am speaking from experience. If your with family and looking for suburbs then bergen county is nice and near trains to the city. it is also near the NJ turnpike and parkway as well as the GW bridge, so you can access both LI and jersey for diving. I now live there and can vouch for the easy commute to work and dive sites. both of my recommendations are by far not the cheapest places to live. they will provide you with an excellent quality of life as well as ease of commute to work. hope that helps a bit.

Back
Top Bottom