New Zealand: One student dead, one missing at Lake Pupuke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Body recovered in Pupuke Lake scuba diver search - Story - National - 3 News
One diver is dead and another missing after an incident at Lake Pupuke on Auckland’s North Shore.

Three instructors from an East Tamaki-based diving school took five students to the lake for tutoring. Two students did not come out.

A short time ago the body of a deceased diver was recovered in an inflatable boat.

The Fire Service told 3 News they were called to the lake around 2pm and are helping police with the search for the remaining diver.

A helicopter is searching overhead and an ambulance is on stand-by.

This is breaking news, more to follow

3 instructors-5 students. Always sad to hear, but I'd like to hear this story.

Last edited:
3 instructors-5 students. Always sad to hear, but I'd like to hear this story. Condolences to the family.
There are actually good reasons for why condolences are not allowed on this forum, restricted to Passings forum, but yeah - pretty amazing that 3 Insts can lose 2 students out of 5, if it was an OW class. As usual, we get little info from the news and hope for facts to be supplied by locals.

Lake Pupuke is a pretty awfull place for a diver, specially for an OW course, don't know who approves that. Visibility it's usually bad, the botton is mudy and full of garbage ( form bottles to big dangerous rusty pieces of metal)
Im really sorry for what happened... I do wanna hear the story.

Hang on a mo guys.
Howsabout not passing comment untill the facts are know. Lake Pupuke is a fairly popular spot for scuba training and a whole bunch of other water sports.
The weather here in NZ is utterly horrible-High winds and rain squalls so a sea dive was definitely out of the question.
I dove that exact spot on sunday.despite the above post it is normally a fantastic place for training. You enter the water either giant stride off the wharf or you walk down the slipway and its a 100m/300 foot swim out to a marker Buey which is anchored at 9.0m water depth.you do surface swim the first 50m or so because there is weed.(the underwater grass type)
If you go down the boey anchour line the area right below it is a big (30m plus) square flat area of volcanic rock. There is usually very little sediment there --max depth 1 inch. Normally vis is around 10m (you can still see your buddy that far away but not clearly id them )
The suggestion that the lake is a dumping ground of litter isn't true.There are some bricks. Big pipes even waterlogged lenths of lumber but they aren't prolific or in any way a hazard.
But on sunday in better weather and better light than today Vis was terrible . IMO it was around 6 feet. The water was pretty darned cold. I was in a 7mm with hood/3mm thermal vest and winter gloves. I took off a glove and the water felt almost ice cold.
What worries me is that my buddy and I followed the weedline 150m north to a place called the rockgarden. There you go down a small cliff face with some overhangs and very shallow caves. There was a pretty nasty Thermoclyn as we went from 9 down to 12 m
But also the storms have stirred up other rubbish and what I thought was a light cloud of silt turned out to be a nasty tangle of monofiliament fishing line. It was the light stuff so It was fairly easy to cut my way out of it.
Without question conditions were worse today on the surface--It would be irresponsible to comment on what they were like in the water today but they wouldn't have been warmer or clearer.
One worry is that if you forget to use your compass you can head east. East is out towards lake centre. Out there you can go pretty deep (40m) and visibility just gets progressively worse as you go deeper to the point a torch pointed directly at your own face is like looking at a candlestick when you get to 30m deep and thats when vis is good. I hope the still lost diver isn't out there for the sake of the police dive team who are going in to search for them.

Last edited:
YC:
Lake Pupuke is a pretty awfull place for a diver, specially for an OW course, don't know who approves that. Visibility it's usually bad, the botton is mudy and full of garbage ( form bottles to big dangerous rusty pieces of metal)
Im really sorry for what happened... I do wanna hear the story.

Where do you see that these divers were OW students? "Students" could mean that they were taking any course (OW or post OW courses).

Last edited:
Hang on a mo guys.
Howsabout not passing judgement untill the facts are know.
Who passed judgement?

Who passed judgement?
sorry you are right -- Fixed. I meant comment.

Where do you see that these divers were OW students? "Students" could mean that they were taking any course (OW or post OW courses).
The people concerned were close to completing SSI quals --either master or AAW courses If the missing divers were attempting the deep dive for AAW it would have been a night dive from 40 feet and zero vis at 70 that is for certain. given I had very limited vis at 30 feet on sunday

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom